CCW Rotation

This is a discussion on CCW Rotation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you multi gun owners choose what gun to carry from day to day? I have several guns that I carry concealed. I realized ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Rotation

Cool CCW Rotation

How do you multi gun owners choose what gun to carry from day to day?

I have several guns that I carry concealed. I realized the other day, that while unintentional, I have a system.

During the warmer months I usually carry my Makarov. It's lighter, thinner and I don't think the ballistics put me at a disadvantage for penetrating lighter weight clothing. The 95g hollow point round has decent power and expansion.

In the colder months (late October through March), I tend to carry either my G19 or G23. The Glocks are a bit bulkier for me to carry and at this time of the year an increase in ballistics I feel is appropriate. Penetrating through leather and heavy coats is a consideration. My Glock 23, when not carried is my nightstand gun.

Throughout the year I will usually choose my SP101 to carry on the weekends. Especially, when I wear my cowboy boots. To me cowboy boots and a wheel gun go hand in hand.

If I'm going fishing or hiking the increased power of the .357 magnum should serve well against a four legged predator. I also carry shot shells for snakes.

Your input is appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I carry a Kahr p9 day to day , every day .. until i cant due to dress , then i downsize to a pm9. When i go to an informal celebration where a " turkey shoot " may get going , i have carried a sig 220 in two tone , until recently . I just picked up a HK p7 that is the cat's boots for accuracy so it will go to partys now .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I guess I dont have all the options most of you folks do with many carry weapons to choose from. XD9 sub-compact when its hot, and XD9 service when its cold. I plan on getting something a bit smaller to carry in a shoulder rig at work when finances permit. But for now, just me trusty XD's!
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Assistant Administrator
    Due to a fortunate (old man's) lifestyle and choices available for carry garments I do not rotate. I prefer that as I want my EDC to be consistently the manual of arms I know best - and so a better chance of 'reflexive'' use and operation. Large and heavy most days in the year!

That said my R9 BUG will if need be, be a primary - and that is free of any controls - just DA repeat as needed.

My other exception I might use is switching from 226 to 228 - apart from two rounds fewer capacity and a smidgeon shorter - it is again the same manual of arms.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

chaddae no problem with that , and many members do not have a variety. Personally i gun trade as a hobby , so i pickup a few at pretty deep discounts and when you couple that with about 30 years of hobby it leads to storage issues lol . In fact i have quit locking up modern long arms now ( in the safe ) i just cable the trigger guards , and lock the bolts in the safe . That being said .. I remember when one pistol at a time was enough .. mostly because it ment beans and " mac and cheese " for the kids if i got more . Your fine where you are , pick up more as you can comfortably do it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Typical carry gun is a Kahr P9 for easy concealment and lite weight. I also like to carry a Springfield 1911 A1 when in jeans. It is a much heavier gun and requires a heavier belt than I wear to work. Other than that I carry a .44 magnum when in the woods grouse hunting. So I would say weather and mode of dress are the determining factor for me.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

damm joe , you got shot loads in that .44 to " backup " the 3 in your shotty ?? LOL just joshin ya bud its all good .

Stupid me, I should have explained better.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    damm joe , you got shot loads in that .44 to " backup " the 3 in your shotty ?? LOL just joshin ya bud its all good .
    The .44 is for the close encounters I may have with black bear, not the grouse. We've got some big grouse in our north woods, but not that big.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

lol joe its all good , i deal with all of colorado game with a puny 9mm myself but i understand your point . Were i going to kodiac island i would gear up myself , but with local species i feel well armed with 9mm solids that i carry when out of town .

1911, either one of the 4 inchers or one of the 3 inchers with a P3AT in a front pocket
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

In warmer weather I carry my Kahr P40 with two 7 round spare mags. In the cooler months I carry my G23 with one or sometimes two spare mags.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

On a whim pretty much. I can conceal any of mine under a Tshirt and jeans. Right now I'm carrying the Kimber because I just got a new holster for it!

Lead Moderator
    1911 SA Champ for summer carry, HK USP f for winter carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I choose what to carry based more on wardrobe than weather. I've carried my 5" Mil-Spec on the hottest Summer days with no problem but if I'm going somewhere that an untucked cover shirt would seem out of place I'll grab my 642 j-frame and a pocket or ankle holster.

One more range trip and an interim holster and my primary carry will be my new Glock 19 with one spare mag - year round. Still have the option to carry the 642 as deep concealment or BUG and there's the .380 PPK in layaway that'll get the nod for those rare suit days and/or quick trips to the mini-mart.

Still need a good .357 for days at the lake and such. That'll likely be a Ruger, either an SP-101 or a 4" GP100 (haven't decided which yet).
    Jack

Mood, wardrobe, what I'm doing all play a part. In general its the CDP in cool weather and j-frame in the heat. With the quickie marts in my area the CDP gos without question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links