Walt Rauch on the Snubby

This is a discussion on Walt Rauch on the Snubby within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my ongoing effort to pass on interesting topics... Why the Snubby is Still Relevant Check out the other vids titled "CCW Demystified" and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walt Rauch on the Snubby

Walt Rauch on the Snubby

In my ongoing effort to pass on interesting topics...

Why the Snubby is Still Relevant

Check out the other vids titled "CCW Demystified" and the tab marked "The Latest on DRTV".
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I did not read the link ... with that being said a hearty yes the snubby is still a fine ccw gun . I got a lot less concerned with them when i got my pm9 tho lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

1943 - 2009
    That's a real interesting site! Thanks for posting.

I've always liked Walt Rauch's stuff. He doesn't come across as a "legend in his own mind" like so many of the current crop of gun 'riters.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I turned off the CCW demystified as soon as he stated it was inevitable that if you carry a 1911 you will be pulling your pants up all the time or looking like a hip hop star with them around your knees.

Apparently he never spent good money on a good holster and belt. Strangely I have a 5" 1911 in 10mm on me right now. I am wearing slacks, a polo shirt and have it tucked with no problems at all.

If he said "some people might get uncomfortable carrying a heavier gun all day" I would have agreed, although I have no problem.

His comment "don't listen to all of the hype" is good advise.

He was Shooting Gallery yesterday doing the snubby thing. He seems to be a highly knowledgeable and interesting fellow.
    Last edited by sass20485; July 19th, 2007 at 10:57 AM.

Walt Rauch has a great personality, one of the few firearm experts I'd like to sit down and have lunch with an a weekly basis.

I just ordered his book 'Real World Survival' and look forward to reading it.

FYI, my comments were on the other video, not Walt Raunch who I found very worthwhile to listen to.

Walt's a gem of a guy. He came down to South Carolina three years ago to help me put on a "Myths and Misconceptions about Firearms" and "Anti-gun Bias in the Media" seminar and shooting event for the University of South Carolina's School of Journalism.

He really woke those kids up and actually got a few converts. The kids shot everything from .22 rifles to AKs to Glocks to shotguns — all under constant supervision, of course.

They had a great time and came away with knowledge that guns can be fun and safe and are not the "evil tools of Satan."

I felt it was important to hit these young journalists before they got out into the real world and their views on firearms became influenced by their liberal editors.

Walt's No-Bull approach was exactly what they needed to hear.

I learned a great deal just by hanging out with him for a couple of days.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

I carry nothing but 1911s including a 5", bulky and heavy full steel Sig GSR as well as a relatively fly weight aluminum framed SA Lightweight Compact commander. Add to that one or two 8 rd. spare mags.
    Not once have my pants or shorts fallen slack around my ass nevermind to my ankles.
    I use alternately a gun belt as well as a regular non-gun belt.
    But I do though as my wife notes have a behind to speak of so maybe that's the difference in experience. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    I turned off the CCW demystified as soon as he stated it was inevitable that if you carry a 1911 you will be pulling your pants up all the time or looking like a hip hop star with them around your knees.

Apparently he never spent good money on a good holster and belt. Strangely I have a 5" 1911 in 10mm on me right now. I am wearing slacks, a polo shirt and have it tucked with no problems at all.

If he said "some people might get uncomfortable carrying a heavier gun all day" I would have agreed, although I have no problem.

I had to stop watching this for EXACTLY the same you note.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

I prefer compact semiautomatics but I have carried J-frames. Lastly, I respect Walt Rauch's opinion. I found the tape interesting. Regards, Richard

The Kimber CDP II that rests inside my waistband is second to none for a defense weapon. I like my revolvers but a flat gun is simply easier to carry and those 185 gr. Corbons are up to the task of taking down all but the largest and most drugged perps around. And I'm not planning to take one or two shots and then assess the situation!!

Administrator
    I'd rather be watching anything that's gun related EVEN WITH some minor inaccurate information rather than reruns of I Love Lucy.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'd rather be watching anything that's gun related EVEN WITH some minor inaccurate information rather than reruns of I Love Lucy.
    +1...always good to see gun programming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links