Did you realize the main size difference between a USP and PX4 is...

This is a discussion on Did you realize the main size difference between a USP and PX4 is... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just compared my H&K USP (full size) to my Beretta PX4 - I was pretty surprised! All the dimensions are essentially the same, width ...

Thread: Did you realize the main size difference between a USP and PX4 is...

Senior Moderator

Did you realize the main size difference between a USP and PX4 is...

I just compared my H&K USP (full size) to my Beretta PX4 - I was pretty surprised! All the dimensions are essentially the same, width and height, with the USP being only about 3/8" longer. The thickness from the top of the slide (in front of the trigger guard) is very close to the same.There is less than one ounce difference in weight. The USP's girth around the grip is significantly larger although I didn't measure that.

The USP has always looked like a large gun to me and the PX4 more compact; but except for grip girth, they're essentially the same.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Will the Px4 fit in a USP holster?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    good point tangle , In fact the Para 1911 is almost exactly the same grip size of a standard 1911 ( due to the differences in grip scales ) , but it feels " fat " due to i suspect the wide front strap . Point is many so called compacts really are not when compared to many so called service pistols .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

USP looks bigger than it is

I also have a full size USP, in .45 caliber, and have compared it to other guns I own. Although the USP "looks" big and has a reputation as a large gun, it is really about the same size as some other commonly used handguns. For example, I have a Sig P226 in 9mm, and the USP is very close in size to the Sig. They will fit in the same holsters, and are the same length and height. The USP actually has a grip that is smaller in width than the P226, and weighs a couple of ounces less than the Sig.

I think there is something about the design and appearance of the USP that makes it look bigger than it is.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Will the Px4 fit in a USP holster?
    I tried the PX4 in my custom USP holster and it wouldn't go but about half way. Probably a shape difference somewhere. I don't have a custom holster for the PX4 (yet) to see if the USP would fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I tried the PX4 in my custom USP holster and it wouldn't go but about half way. Probably a shape difference somewhere. I don't have a custom holster for the PX4 (yet) to see if the USP would fit it.
    Shame, if it did fit that would open up a lot more holster options for the Px4.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    Actually I do have a custom holster for the PX4. It's a Blade-Tech Stingray. It fits the PX4 perfectly, no play, but breaks free cleanly for a fast presentation just like Kydex is known for.

I have it on right now, set at the FBI cant and it is quite comfortable and conceals well. I just got back from the range and among other drills, I did about 70 draw and fires. Everything worked great.

Hmmm, I guess I'd better update my carry gun from the H&K USP to the Beretta PX4.

I remember back last summer someone posted on berettaforum that a USP compact holster fits a PX4, but when I tried my PX4 in it, the front end stuck out to the front sight. You've got to put in a set screw to keep it from going too far into the holster, at that point it's not even worth getting a non-PX4 holster. I'm waiting for a VMIIH for my PX4.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

http://www.kdholsters.com/ has the mold for PX4. I have his IWB defender for my PX4. Also, Comp-tac has a mold and can outfit the PX4.

Leather or kydex, you can get nice holsters for the PX4.

My G model in 40 is due back by Friday from re-finishing. Hope it comes out nice.

Links