Which one is best?

This is a discussion on Which one is best? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at a few different carry guns, but can't really decide which one may actually be the best. I recently sold my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one is best?

Which one is best?

I have been looking at a few different carry guns, but can't really decide which one may actually be the best. I recently sold my Glock 26 because I didn't like the grip angle, and thought the grip was too short for accurate, comfortable shooting. I figured if I was going to put a mag extension on it, I might as well have bought the G19. I want a carry gun to be:
    1.)Reliable
    2.)Concealable (I'm 6'1", 190lbs, slender, don't wear baggy clothes)

I would either want a 9mm or .45. I don't like the .40cal. The gun must have a single stack mag. I really like 1911's; I have a Para LTC. I haven't tried carrying it IWB (my prefered method) yet, as I don't have a good holster. Here are some I have thought about:

-Sig 220 carry
    -Sig 239 9mm
    -SA XD9
    -Para Slim Hawg
    -SA Loaded MicroCompact LTWT

I want something light enough to pack around in tee and short. Please post ideas and opinions and pics If you have them. Oh, and a ballpark price range for each would be good.

2. Remove Ads

Whichever one you are comfortable shooting.

Prices you can check on auction websites like www.gunbroker.com

I suggest baggy clothes.

Austin

1911's are concealable if you are willing to dress correctly for them.

Personally, I prefer .40S&W, so my primary is the G23. I'm also going to purchase a G19 this year, because I can use the same holsters I already purchased for my G23.

Of the ones you listed I prefer the P220. In all the years I owned one, which was several years, I never had one problem with it being able to eat any type of ammo I feed it.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

As far as "baggy clothes", I don't wear them, but I do dress around the gun I'm carrying. I wear polo shirts to work, so I may use a tuckable holster a lot, so the gun needs to be able to be hidden that way. I have never shot any of these I have listed, so I can't go with the one I shoot the best with. I'd like to hear of first-hand experiences each of these guns. Also any problems you've had with them too. I mainly want the smallest gun possible that is easy to hold and natural to aim, that doesn't put a big buldge in my side.

Thin gun for tuckable holster - 9mm or .45

I am currently researching tuckable holsters myself but have not bought one yet, and I have two thin guns in mind for this application. The first is a Colt Defender .45 with slim grip panels. It weighs about 24 ounces empty and measures 0.90 inches across the slide and about 1.02 inches across the grip, with the thin panels installed. The barrel length is only 3 inches, and the grip is the "officer's" size which is shorter than a standard government size 1911. It will hold 7+1 rounds with a Wilson magazine. Here is a photo of it from the back, showing the thin profile of the gun:

The second candidate is even smaller - a Kahr MK9 9mm that I just got a few weeks ago. I have been testing it at the range and it hasn't failed to feed or eject, so I now trust the gun. It is all steel, weighs about 24 ounces empty, and is about 0.88 inches thick in the slide and 0.92 inches thick in the grip, so it is skinnier than the Defender. It has a 3 inch barrel and a shorter grip than the Defender, holding 6+1 or 7+1 rounds, depending on which magazine I use. I haven't photographed mine yet, so here is a picture from the Kahr website:

I think either of these guns would fit your spec for a thin 9mm or .45 that could be carried in a tuckable holster.

VIP Member
    Get Big and Tall Dockers style pants. A S&W 642 in a pocket holster will disappear in the front pocket. Load with +Ps and there ya go. I can also almost conceal a G17, but a G19 works better in the front pocket. They have to be the B&T though as the pockets are deeper and more generously cut. The regulars won't get it done.

Now if you are looking to show off your glutes to the ladies you won't like the B&T cut.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I actually forgot about the Kahr. My top 2 choices at this point right now, would be the Para Slim Hawg or the Kahr. I just need something slim, so that it disapears on my body. I've carried bulky, double stack guns before and they are just a lot harder for me to conceal.

I do have a S&W 637 that I will carry as a BUG, more likely pocket carried.

Does anyone here have the Slim Hawg? How do you like it? Is there enough grip to hold on to?
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

kahr TP45
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I have the perfect carry A Kimber compact CDP 4" barrel with a short grip and is a .45. You might also give the Springfield EMP a look.

Jim

Howz about a Smith & Wesson 3913? Lots of people like' em! 8+1 rounds of 9mm +P should get the job done, and the spare mag is nice and flat in your off side pocket. I carry a 3953 a lot in the summer under an untucked shirt. It's the same as a 3913, but DAO.
    Attached Images
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Iíve been carrying a full-sized Kimber TLE with shorts and t-shirts for several years in a Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster.

On occasion I wear it with a button-front shirt tucked in. Last time I did this was at a party with about 50 people in attendance. I was wearing a shirt and tie with a black belt to blend in with the holsterís black belt loop. In the four hours I was at the party, nobody noticed.

You might be surprised how flat a 1911-style gun will snuggle into your side with a good IWB holster.

If youíre comfortable with the 1911 platform, why not give it a try. If you want something smaller than a full-sized gun, there are plenty of compact models available.

Prior to carrying the full-sized gun, I used to carry a Kimber Compact in the same style holster. Interestingly, Iíve found the full-sized gun isnít much different to carry. The barrel length doesnít matter much because itís inside your pants, and the grip on the larger gun is only a half-inch longer than the grip on the smaller one.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I'd vote Sig P239 9mm with a DAK trigger. Those DAK triggers are like butter. Or go a step further and get the no snag SAS. There are plenty of holsters for them, the gun has enough weight to absorb recoil but it is not too heavy for EDC, and well...it's a Sig.

I plan on going to Bud's Gun Shop in another week, so I'll take a look at all these and hold them. That S&W 3913 seems interesting.

I do very much like the 1911 platform. I like the consistent SA trigger. The flatness is a very big plus also. I don't want anything bigger than a Commander to carry, and would also prefer a Lightweight version.

I've never really handled a Sig until a gun show a couple weeks ago. I liked the P239 pretty well. I didn't dryfire it though. I still think the 1911 fits my hand better, but I and going to look at this model more.

I plan on getting Night Sights on the gun, or add them later if it does not have them.
    Last edited by KYmxracer52; July 19th, 2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: sights
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

+1 on the Kahrs, they have a .45 model now too. I'm happy with K40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links