Ruger, my new best firearms manufacturer

This is a discussion on Ruger, my new best firearms manufacturer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I brought my new carry gun, SP-101 to the range. After shooting a couple hundred rounds through it, I went home and took it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Today I brought my new carry gun, SP-101 to the range. After shooting a couple hundred rounds through it, I went home and took it down for cleaning. The instructions show you how to take out the trigger assembly as part of maintenance. All went well until I tried to get the trigger assembly back in. I inadvertantly squeezed the trigger, and a tiny spring and plunger came flying out of somewhere. I was at a total loss.
    Front page of the instruction booklet has a line that reads "For Service on this model call...." So I called. Immediately, I got a real person, NO "for English press one" she transferred me to a tech who picked up immediately, calmed me down, and was totally knowledgable and able to walk me through the problem over the phone, and re-insert the spring and plunger in its proper place. I'm really glad it was a Ruger; I couldn't immagine getting better support from a different company.

Excellent

Excellent, great to hear that there still some great costumer service companies out there in the good ole USA
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I had the same problem when dismantling my SP101. I put the spring and plunger back in as per the diagram and all seems well. I think I did it right, but you never know. Chris, if you have any tips, tricks or techniques for the trigger spring plunger I would appreciate your wisdom.

Your report is one of the reason's I like Ruger.

just me

Assistant Administrator
    Woody - to be honest it's a while since last pull down of trigger group and spring etc.

End result is, when I come to do it again I am almost starting from cold! My bottom line is - be very observant of original configuration - lay out parts neatly on a large surface and when reassembling, be prepared to fiddle a bit! Not force anything either.

Final acid test is just to see if dry fire is normal. Sorry - not really much wisdom there at all!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Glad they were able to help you out.
    That worked out great.
    Years ago when my one Ruger wheel gun suffered a split/cracked wood grip - I called to ask them to send me out a new right grip panel and they just went ahead and sent me a brand new complete set of presentation grade grips.
    I got them in three days and no charge.
    That was mighty decent of them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I did the same thing & that spring & plunger went flying across my bench and into the mess of my garage. I ordered a replacement & then did the install inside a large plastic bag, to avoid the loss of this small part with the inevitable launching of the spring. Worked out fine and saved me from looking all over for another lost part. Last week, while sweeping the garage I found the ORIGINAL lost part, so now I have a back up !!

My wife took over my first SP101, so I had to buy another for myself.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Haven't taken my trigger assembly apart yet...guess I'm used to my Smiths where I just clean the cyliner and barrel....how often do they recommend filed stripping for cleaning?

They are fantastic for customer service! A few years back I was practicing for the Chevy Truck Sportsman Team Challenge and had an issue with my 10-22 magazines. They were not feeding this cheap Russian ammo I had for plinking. The tech talked me through disassembling one the magazines and cleaning it over the phone. He said it could have been the lube on the ammo, but it could have been the magazine spring as well since I had bought it and the rifle used and didn't know their history. Since I had the match coming up that weekend, he took down my information and sent me three brand new magazines via UPS, (second day) at no charge!

Now if they would offer us a pocet-size semi, I would be in hog heaven. Their P345 is Colt Commander size and weight, but I want something smaller.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    That's great, Ruger is good isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Now if they would offer us a pocet-size semi, I would be in hog heaven. Their P345 is Colt Commander size and weight, but I want something smaller.
    I would love a small ruger. My old P89 has been a great gun I would really like a pocket size light weight version of it.

Just bought a new GP100 4in barrel.

Welcome to the Forum!

Wow... a new Ruger SP101! Are those great or what? I have two of them. One for me and one for da wife! It is still my wifes primary carry gun.

I gotta say, when you pick up an SP-101, you know you have something that can save your life in your hand. They feel great.

Also, you do not have to take down the trigger assembly for "routine" maintenence on a revolver. I've only had mine apart about 3 times in 20 years. Just open cylinder and clean everything from there.

I do like a complete disassembly just to see how everything works but after that, not necessary. Maybe once every few years or so would be good.

Sounds like you got a great gun there... I also own a Ruger Speed Six in stainless steel and 3" barrel. I will never trade or sell off one of my Ruger revolvers. Just aint gonna happen!

Congrats! and Welcome Aboard!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Today I brought my new carry gun, SP-101 to the range. After shooting a couple hundred rounds through it, I went home and took it down for cleaning. The instructions show you how to take out the trigger assembly as part of maintenance. All went well until I tried to get the trigger assembly back in. I inadvertantly squeezed the trigger, and a tiny spring and plunger came flying out of somewhere. I was at a total loss.
    Front page of the instruction booklet has a line that reads "For Service on this model call...." So I called. Immediately, I got a real person, NO "for English press one" she transferred me to a tech who picked up immediately, calmed me down, and was totally knowledgable and able to walk me through the problem over the phone, and re-insert the spring and plunger in its proper place. I'm really glad it was a Ruger; I couldn't immagine getting better support from a different company.
    Built like tanks too.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links