Picking up NEW (to me) gun tomorrow!

Picking up NEW (to me) gun tomorrow!

This is a discussion on Picking up NEW (to me) gun tomorrow! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't wait. I'm making a spectacular trade and completing the paperwork tomorrow as I pick up the gun. I traded an older Ruger Mini-14 ...

Thread: Picking up NEW (to me) gun tomorrow!

Exclamation Picking up NEW (to me) gun tomorrow!

I can't wait. I'm making a spectacular trade and completing the paperwork tomorrow as I pick up the gun. I traded an older Ruger Mini-14 with the Ruger Factory Folding Stock which are no longer made. I added some coin because I also bought some surefire flashlight batteries and a NICE CRKT folding knife. The seller is a good buddy who runs a small retail business in adventure gear and is both a member of our IDPA Club and one of it's greatest prize contributors.

He's a great guy. I traded for one of his personal guns.

~DRUM ROLL~

Sig Sauer P226 9mm "Blackwater" special edition with wood grips and FIVE hi-cap mags. I've been wanting one of those for a couple of years.

I expect this may become one of my primary carry guns and it may also serve as a trip gun but I'm not sure. Have to see how it carries.

NOW I just need a quality holster.......Hmmmmm no...don't tell me..I have lots of ideas already!

As soon as I can, I'll post some pix and maybe some from when I take it to the range. I'm SO psyched! One "plus" is he hasn't run a ton of ammo thru it.

He claims it was that gun that allowed him to jump a grade from IDPA Marksman to IDPA Sharpshooter and now he can't play in that arena with the other boys and girls. He can't match his qualifying scores!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    SWEET! Me thinks you're going to like it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I forgot to add this: He put the new short reset trigger on the gun just because I really wanted it. I can't wait.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Nice Trade...

I've tried getting another Glock for my wife, but no one will trade...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've tried getting another Glock for my wife, but no one will trade...

ret
    Oh, my.

Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Assistant Administrator
    Pity to have to get rid of another gun but - sure sounds like a very sweet deal.

My 226 has been regular EDC now for 2 1/2 years - I have a feeling this new addition will become yours soon, if you like it as much as I like mine.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congratulations!!!!! Man, what a deal. Enjoy, enjoy.

Regards,

just me

Got it! As soon as my digital camera is charged I'll get some pix and post them. Then we I wring it out on the range next week, I'll post a range report. I picked up a 50rd box of Winchester Ranger LEO ammo with the 147gr bullet. It almosts acts in a subsonic fashion with low flash, low recoil and not much report. I'll verify this on the range next week, but that was what I was assured by a member of my IDPA club today.

I also picked up a BlackHawk SERPA Holster with the retention system. I was a little bit unsure of this at first but I tried it and the draw is extremely smooth and fast. I like the retention aspect especially as it does not seem to slow my draw in any respect as the use of a thumbreak holster might.

This was the start of our day. My father-in-law is visiting for a few days from upstate. This old guy is a WWII vet, holds the NAVY CROSS and the Silver Star and flew as a marine aviator with the famed Black Sheep Squardon and Pappy Boyington. 18 air to air kills. He's 84 and at this stage of his life being ornery and cantankerous he can get pretty ummmmm inflamed on certain subjects....especially when things get political. So I felt a need to be the quiet stable one while allowing my wife to enjoy her dad's company. Soon there might be a time when that ends. What everybody else THINKS in certain given social situations but has too much civility to express....pop will STATE in no uncertain terms! Can make for a tense atmosphere. He's 84 and a war hero and he holds a Ph.d in Nuclear Physics. I figured it my responsibility to look after them both. There were zero moments of tension. No "WHAT IF" moments.

I was carrying a S&W M642 in my pocket which is fine for most any situation and perfect for the incredible heat and humidity today. I'd just like to remark that the knowledge that that Sig was in my vehicle and ready to rock made my view of the day immeasurably more peaceful. I guess I feel that for certain situations involving a bit more range or greater numbers, the 642 is marginal. That P226 was a major source of contentment today.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 20th, 2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add info on new holster

Nice gun Jim! Have you stopped carrying the 245 altogether? Haven't heard you mention that one in a while. I can see the benefits to a subsonic 9mm but how does that affect bullet performance in terms of penetration and expansion?
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post

flew as a marine aviator with the famed Black Sheep Squardon and Pappy Boyington.

PAPPY!!!!!! I would love to meet your in law, I bet he has some good stories. From what I know of Pappy he was alil bit into the boozing.

Thumbs up Pretty much...

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Nice gun Jim! Have you stopped carrying the 245 altogether? Haven't heard you mention that one in a while. I can see the benefits to a subsonic 9mm but how does that affect bullet performance in terms of penetration and expansion?
    Jack
    I've pretty much stopped carrying the P245 as EDC but right now that's due to a heat issue here in South Florida. I'm mostly toting a Smith M642 in a Mika pocket holster. But I'm thinking the Blackwater will now to the heavy lifting when the terrain or situation could become more....intense. I seriously like the 4 spare mags (+1 in the gun itself) I also like the new short reset trigger.

I should be able to post some pix soon.

Sponsored Links