Defensive Carry banner

Really Cheap, Crappy Carry Handguns Under $200

50K views 57 replies 47 participants last post by  SIXTO 
#1 ·
(Hope I don't get into trouble for using the "C" word.)

Let's just suppose that you have a friend who currently has no firearms at all. But, he would consider learning to shoot safely (from you) and buying his own handgun, but only if you can recommend one that costs no more that $200, not including tax, etc.

Could you - would you recommend a handgun at that price level to your friend? Oh, I forgot. Your friend insists that the firearm be new.

Well, Mr. Bucko, let's hear your specific recommendations and have some fun with this as well.

I'll start. I would probably close my eyes, grit my teeth while practising anal retention and recomment a Hi Point 9mm.

Your turn. :danceban:

Regards,

just me

#2 ·
That's it, there's nothing else available for less than $200 that I'm aware of. A Bersa is even a bit over the $200 mark.

#3 ·
Hi-Point maybe. As I recall a Gun Tests article from years ago, they tested these. Jennings came out on top and was actually not bad at all. It is on the heavy side, but it would probably be better than the Hi-Point. Hi-Point does have a good warranty, though, if that will sway a friend.

#4 ·
None I would recomend for a new price of under $200.

If I could talk him into used I would suggest a Rossi revolver. I would also explain to him that his life is probably worth more than $200 to him.

#11 ·
Ok, I just changed my mind after being reminded of the MAK. I would't carry one as primary becuase I think it's a weak round, but my friend's wife has one and it is a joy to shoot and I have never seen it malfunction. We put about 500 rounds through it in three trips to the range and it is accurate and reliable. I would recommend it and have seen a lot of them for under $200.

#9 ·
Bryco Arms .380 auto

here is my vote for the worst ever made in modern times. I heard it was the most likely to be used in gang style shootings as well. Just a rumor of course.

Attachments

#14 ·
Bersa was ''street price'' available for $219 ..... and yes a Mak is IMO worthy of consideration - it has a smidegeon more to offer than .380.

Otherwise I'd suggest looking for a used gun .... a J frame size Taurus M85 snub would be viable. Hi-Point is bottom of most lists but even so - for very occasional use a lot better than zilch!

#15 ·
Tell him to use the $200 to put one on Lay-way and pay out the rest over a month or two. If he was willing to go up to about $300, that really open his choices of more reliable guns

#16 ·
Yeah, I'd say a Makarov or a used Hi-Point or Rossi or Taurus...

If it functions, it'll do to start.

#21 ·
If desperate look at Jimenez Arms Sub $200 guns.

http://www.shiningstardist.com/home.htm

Ya, I know cheaply made and feel but the ja .380 has some decent write-ups and after a Keltec like Fluff and Buff could be an OK carry. One of the local dealers in my rural area said he wanted to hate it but it worked well and ate everything it was fed (except blazer). He now carries them in his shop for ~$150.

I've never shot one but might be worth a look. Here is the F&B for it (if your willing to try :22a:)

http://concealed-carry.5u.com/

p.s. The JA9 has a really bad rep and is basically the Bryco 9 that you had to put the safety to fire to drop the mag. Got people hurt and drove Bryco to bankruptcy.

#23 ·
#24 ·
#25 ·
#27 ·
Even a cheapo is still a gun. It may be a POS, but it will enable your friend to start the learning process while saving for something nicer. After all, the very first gun you buy is probably not your perfect gun. It takes time and experience to choose that one.

#31 ·
I agree completely. Your first gun is kind of like your first car. Unless Mommy or Daddy buy you the car, most guys can't afford the 'vette to start with.

We end up starting with a POC that has 3 1/2 tires, a leaky radiator and unpleasant smells from the tailpipe. But, we somehow make it all work and we buy it a new toy at Wally-Hurl or JC Whitney.

I think perhaps the main thing for a non-shooter is to take that first step, knowing full well, that whatever you're buying is not a Korth, but something to get you started and maybe even work on just like your first set of wheels.

Are we there yet???????????? :tumbleweed:

Regards,

just me

#28 ·
Unless time is a factor for some reason, I would suggest taking the time to save up for a good reliable weapon. during that time, research, try out, test and compare.

Doing this, I havn't purchased something that I'm dissapointed in so far.

Myself, I wouldn't want to go through the process and end up with something that I wouldn't want.

#30 ·
I didn't see anyone mention KelTec (.32 or .380)...not a fun gun, but they work! Doesn't measure up to my Glock or Kimber...but I'd depend on my KelTec if I had to...always goes boom!:yup:

ret:urla9ub:

#33 ·
The gun shop I go to has a used section and some of them don't look like they have ever been shot. Is there a particular reason he insists on a new gun? There are some great buys on used guns that aren't even broken in.

The Bersas can be found new around $200 in Blued. CDNN had the Kel-Tec p3at for $209 in their old catalog but then you would need to pay transfer and shipping.

I've got a Jennings .380 that was bought at a Gun Show for $99. It was bought to be left in a truck and not worry about a good gun getting messed up. The gun will only shoot the first round and then stovepipes. It now sits in a drawer. lol

#34 ·
Only gun I'd trust for under $200 new (or at least, unfired!) is a Makarov.

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments and say convince him to up his price range. And btw, why does it have to be new? I mean, it's a long shot but you *might* be able to pick up a well-worn Glock 17 or 19 for $200, if you look hard enough.

#35 ·
Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Your friend needs to to some reading research and saving. The purchase of a gun may be the largest chunk he is going to spend in this venture, but its the tip of the iceberg. He will need to spend far more on ammo to become proficent with the gun... that just one item.
Then, he might as well tack on additional $200.00 to the cost of a Glock Xd or whatever he decides to replace the POS with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.