I think I may have fallen in love with a new CCW

This is a discussion on I think I may have fallen in love with a new CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As much as I love my XD, I definitely have reservations about switching over to IWB carry. I'm already a stout guy, I don't need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I may have fallen in love with a new CCW

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Thumbs up I think I may have fallen in love with a new CCW

As much as I love my XD, I definitely have reservations about switching over to IWB carry. I'm already a stout guy, I don't need to be emphasizing how misfitting my wardrobe is. I was looking around for a relatively compact, single stack 9, and specifically had wanted to fondle a Kel-Tec PF9 for quite some time now. I happened to get off of work early today, and decided to swing by the hardware store. As I'm peering down into the case, I saw something hiding amongst the Glocks, XDs, and Hi-Points. I asked one of the counter guys to fetch the Kahr P9 for me, but he informed me they didn't have any - I was looking at a CW9. Once I had it in my hand, I absolutely knew it had all the attributes I was looking for - slim, pointed well, stainless/polymer, great trigger, and most importantly, my ham fists got all of my fingers onto the grip.

I started talking it over with the counter guy, and it turns out he had an original all-steel Kahr and loved it. He helped me understand the differences between the P9 and CW9 - namely, a conventional barrel, less slide detail, and a MIM slide stop vs the P9's octagonal barrel, roll stamped slide and machined slide stop. The biggest difference to me was the huge price break - CW9's can be had for well under $400 online, and P9s run well over $600. The CW9 has polymer sights, but that doesn't really concern me too much. When I mentioned I was looking originally for a PF9, he started digging through the safe. Lo and behold, I was soon holding in my hand the finest bit of hard chromed steel and polymer I've ever seen made by Kel-Tec. It's like a P3AT on steroids - roughly the same trigger, but MUCH improved fit and finish - this was actually attractive! It had the same capacity as the CW9, but was a teensy bit smaller... but ultimately, it was the trigger that won me over. I'll probably wind up picking up a CW9 by my birthday (Oct. 24). Now, I just need to decide how I want to carry it to pick out a bit of cowhide. I'm thinking UBG Striker.

2. Remove Ads

I now pronounce you.... Man... and Gun....

http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-11.html

You may.... shoot the bride...?

Quote Originally Posted by flmitchell View Post

Woah there, minister! I think my wife may have an objection to such a union... I think this is more of a platonic love, much the way a man loves his dog.

congrats ! I felt like that with my tp45.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

good bye

She still doesn't know about the last gun I bought... I really should run this one by her.

If you get the CW9 you might want to consider the Fist IWB #20. Very comfortable, easy draw and reholster. Not very expensive and about 8 weeks on the delivery.

Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    She still doesn't know about the last gun I bought... I really should run this one by her.
    Rule of thumb is only tell every 10th purchase. Rules are rules..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Rule of thumb is only tell every 10th purchase. Rules are rules..
    This is my new rule. Thanks Mo
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI

Kahr makes good guns, I hope you enjoy it!

Good luck, be sure to test it's reliability thoroughly.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAaH Now thats My kinda Priest

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    If you get the CW9 you might want to consider the Fist IWB #20. Very comfortable, easy draw and reholster. Not very expensive and about 8 weeks on the delivery.

Careful with the medium brown colour-my holster decided to transfer some of the dye to my shirt and undies

Good thing I don't wear it SOB style...

Bought a hybrid #20 off the 'bay and the fit is totally lousy-for kydex the draw binds in multiple places
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    Careful with the medium brown colour-my holster decided to transfer some of the dye to my shirt and undies

Good thing I don't wear it SOB style...

Bought a hybrid #20 off the 'bay and the fit is totally lousy-for kydex the draw binds in multiple places
    I am not the greatest at taking photos...the holster is actually black leather. Knock on wood, I have not had any problems with the dye bleeding onto my clothing.

After it was broken in, he draw and reholster are very smooth. I am very pleased with the comfort and performance of this holster. Maybe you should try an all leather instead of a hybrid.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I just ordered a CW9 from BudsGunshop.Com. I had an opportunity to examine one at a local pistol range. Very, very nice feel in the hand. I am looking forward to trying it out when it comes in.

I usually try to support my local store, but their price was $519! (full retail is $533). They guy hinted that they "might take $475", but this was still $116 more than Bud's ($359). The shipping vs. sales tax was a wash. I couldn't bring myself to pay almost 33% more for the same gun. I'll let the gunshop sell to doctors and lawyers and I'll buy online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links