S&W J-frame question (model 642 or 638)

This is a discussion on S&W J-frame question (model 642 or 638) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you out there with a S&W model 642 (completely enclosed hammer, DAO), what convinced you to go with a DAO revolver, as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W J-frame question (model 642 or 638)

S&W J-frame question (model 642 or 638)

For those of you out there with a S&W model 642 (completely enclosed hammer, DAO), what convinced you to go with a DAO revolver, as opposed to revolver like the 638 that has a SA option via the shrouded hammer.

I ask because it seems to me that it would be nice to have the SA option, while at the same time having the same level of snag-free frame performance for CC. Thoughts?

cw

2. Remove Ads

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    For those of you out there with a S&W model 642 (completely enclosed hammer, DAO), what convinced you to go with a DAO revolver, as opposed to revolver like the 638 that has a SA option via the shrouded hammer.

I ask because it seems to me that it would be nice to have the SA option, while at the same time having the same level of snag-free frame performance for CC. Thoughts?

cw
    I just purchased the SW 340 with a completely enclosed hammer. I like the fact that I can pocket carry without the hammer being an issue. Most importantly, I cannot imagine any personal defense situation where I would cock the hammer and use SA. Draw, shoot.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Well, I can think of at least one situation where you'd want a nice light trigger break on a small revolver. If it's all you've got, and say for example your vehicle dies in the middle of nowhere, you may need to take a shot to down some game to survive.

bae
    If you grow familiar with the action of your S&W, you will figure out the trick pretty quickly to getting an excellent trigger break for longer-distance shooting out of the DA-only ones.

Point and shoot. Nothing to fumble with, nothing to think about. For my wife, perfect rig. She appreciates simplicity.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I just purchased the SW 340 with a completely enclosed hammer. I like the fact that I can pocket carry without the hammer being an issue. Most importantly, I cannot imagine any personal defense situation where I would cock the hammer and use SA. Draw, shoot.
    +1, I bought a 642 for the same reasons.

Fewer places for crud to get into the action, easier draw. With a little practice you won't miss the SA.

Administrator
    For me personally if I had it to do all over again I would go with the shrouded hammer.

Both conceal and pocket carry just as easily. Both are snag-free.
    The shrouded hammer will pick up a bit more internal lint but, not a problem with regular firearm maintenance.

I miss not having the SA option even though my DA trigger is extremely smooth.

I can imagine numerous self defense scenarios where I would rather cock the hammer for a deliberate pin point accurate light SA pull first shot.

But, that is just my opinion that I would probably choose a 638.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

642. For me it was just the simplicity of it. And that's the one I found first. :) I will probably get a 638 sometime down the road to ride on my ankle and that way I will have both. :-D And for what it's worth, which is less than nothing, I have heard that a good smith can make the trigger on the 642 smoother than a 638. Something about the way the 642 is designed vice the 638. But I'm not sure if that holds any water or not. There was a post on this topic a while back by Mr. Camp. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ead.php?t=7270
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I personally love my my 638. I know that I will never use the SA option in a self defense situation, but I like the option. And its fun to use at the range.

Q-Tip every so often keeps the lint out of the hammer, I don't have any worries about it not working when I need it.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I can't imagine de-cocking a snub under stress...sweaty, perhaps bloody or injured hands, and there's no way to stick a finger in front of the hammer to ensure a safe lowering. I stuck with a 442 centennial model, myself.

Simplicity in design and carry was my reason for buying a 442. I too, would also not use SA in a self defense situation. Like bae said the trigger is easily staged for a light trigger break. My 442 only gets 180 rounds a year through it to qualify. It's my carry a lot, shoot a little gun.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a 642 and chose it over the other revolvers for two reasons: first, I like to practice shooting the same way I would use a firearm if the need arose to save myself or loved ones from harm. Double action requires a very deliberate squeeze of the trigger, with less chance of accidental discharge.
    second: there is no slot where the hammer would travel to collect dust or pocket debris that might possibly jam up the mechanism.

I too, chose the 642. Many have said this, but I wanted a no nonsense point and shoot gun. That is what I got. As for accuracy, I am sutprised just how accurate it is. Really they are both great guns, but the 642 would still be my pick.

I picked the 442 because I like blued guns.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links