smith and wesson sw40ve

This is a discussion on smith and wesson sw40ve within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just picked up a new smith and wesson sw40ve for 399.00 from a local shop we have the crappy 7 day waiting pirod here in ...

Thread: smith and wesson sw40ve

smith and wesson sw40ve

just picked up a new smith and wesson sw40ve for 399.00 from a local shop we have the crappy 7 day waiting pirod here in the cominust state of maryland and i have not had a chance to fire it yet any body own one or used one? kinda looks like a glock 22 it seams to point well (in the store anyway) it felt good in my hand .relibility?
    "who are the milita ?they consist now of the whole people ,except a few public officers ."george mason ,virgina ratification covention, june 16,1778

2. Remove Ads

kle
    I'll post what I know from my SW9VE:

Firstly, you're paying a lot. BudsGunShop.com has it for $269, + $25 shipping, + whatever your FFL dealer will transfer it for. Of course, supporting your local FFL dealer is important too...

Secondly: my SW9VE was jam-o-matic for the first 500 rounds. Then I got wise and looked at the ejector--spent casings weren't reliably hitting it on their way out of the gun, so they weren't being thrown clear when a new round was being chambered, leading to the new round being fed into the chamber, but the old casing was still stuck in the extractor, jamming the slide. I fixed this (myself) by taking the ejector out and bending it inwards a few degrees. Since then, I have had no more jams whatsoever.

Thirdly: Everyone complains about the trigger. Tough noodles--if you can shoot a DA revolver, you can shoot this safe-action pistol. It's "really heavy", but it can be lightened up for range use by futzing with the sear springs. Just remember to put the springs back to their original condition if you're going to carry it for self-defense.

Fourthly: My SW9VE is back at S&W right now because the sear broke off of the striker. Don't know why--I was dryfiring it, which should've been OK. Maybe mine was a lemon, maybe I'm just too hard on my guns (I've broken every gun I own--I don't baby them, and I don't have any that I should baby).

All of those negatives being said, however, I do like the pistol--there's nothing inherently bad about it. It points more naturally for me than Glocks. For me this has to do with the grip angle and the beavertail area, which are different from Glocks. I like that it has no finger-grooves (I hate finger-grooves, at least deep ones). I like that it was so inexpensive (I paid $269 + $25 + 15 for mine), and that with S&W's promotions, it came with two free magazines (total of 4, the second two were shipped to me about a month later) and a free range bag (which, purportedly, they're currently out of, so I don't have it yet, but it's in the pipe).

My SW9VE is also quite accurate. From 25 yards (75 feet) I was able to consistently hit an 8.5" x 11" target 10-for-10 times. Attached is a target I shot for an e-Postal Pistol Match, using my SW9VE -- http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1960-4.html

I can't imagine the SW40VE being much different.

YMMV, especially with regards to my problems. Like I said, I like the pistol a lot, and I'm not sorry I bought it.

thanks for the info kle
    "who are the milita ?they consist now of the whole people ,except a few public officers ."george mason ,virgina ratification covention, june 16,1778

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kle View Post
    ...Secondly: my SW9VE was jam-o-matic for the first 500 rounds...Thirdly: Everyone complains about the trigger. Tough noodles--if you can shoot a DA revolver, you can shoot this safe-action pistol...Fourthly: My SW9VE is back at S&W right now because the sear broke off of the striker. Don't know why--I was dryfiring it, which should've been OK...All of those negatives being said, however, I do like the pistol--there's nothing inherently bad about it....
    I would second kle's comments. I have found that my SW40VE likes certain bullet profiles better than others--the more rounded the ogive, the better. The trigger pull becomes smoother with shooting. My Sigma went back to the factory after dry-firing too, so buy some snap-caps. And I like mine, too; for me it has proven to be functional and reliable if I do my part.

Good luck, and good shooting!

kle
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    ...so buy some snap-caps...
    I was under the impression that striker-fired guns didn't need snap-caps to protect the striker. All of my hammer-fired guns (hammer strikes firing pin, no hammer-mounted firing pins; two revolvers and a semi-auto) have broken their firing pins in half due to my not having a snap-cap in the chamber, I thought, but neither of my striker-fired guns had that problem.

My problem with the SW9VE was that the sear broke off the striker, which is a different problem (see pic):

Oh well--better safe than sorry. Snap caps are inexpensive insurance, anyways.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kle View Post
    I was under the impression that striker-fired guns didn't need snap-caps to protect the striker. All of my hammer-fired guns (hammer strikes firing pin, no hammer-mounted firing pins; two revolvers and a semi-auto) have broken their firing pins in half due to my not having a snap-cap in the chamber, I thought, but neither of my striker-fired guns had that problem.

My problem with the SW9VE was that the sear broke off the striker, which is a different problem (see pic):

Oh well--better safe than sorry. Snap caps are inexpensive insurance, anyways.
    You may indeed be correct about striker-fired firearms...the Sigma is the only one of that type I have.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I own one in the 40 and it feels great for carry. My problem is that I don t trust it with my life. To many malfunctions. FTE at least half the time. Mine may need to go back for further inspection and repair. Just my 2 cents

I have a 40VE I use for HD that is 100% reliable for 3500+ rounds. I do trust it with my life.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

thanks for the great info guys as far as heavy trigger pull go's i shoot a lot of millsurp rifles and pistols so im used to heavy trigger pull so if i care for i corectly it it should be a good carry gun . what ammo does it like i picked up some s&b 170g fmjtc from gander mtn for 10.00 a box of 50 my beretta doesnt like it but my glock 22 shoots it ok .

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I had 40 ve and mine was a lemon traded it for a glock.I must be honest though it was my second sigma because I had so much
    good luck with my 9mm I purchased the 40.They are a good pistol for the money.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slayr15 View Post
    what ammo does it like i picked up some s&b 170g fmjtc from gander mtn for 10.00 a box of 50 my beretta doesnt like it but my glock 22 shoots it ok .
    FWIW, my SW40VE doesn't like truncated cone ammunition.

My SW9VE has never had a problem. I've put over 5k through it and never had a problem with the gun.

I did have some problems with a bad batch of reloads I bought at a gunshow. They didn't pack enough bang to cycle the slide properly.

Mine eats: FMJ, Gold Dots, Hydroshock, anything from wallyworld.

I am very pleased with mine. It is one of the most comfortable guns to shoot for me. The Grip just fits my hand. I paid 290 out the door after all taxes and licence crap that we have here in Kalifornia.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Links