Ruger SP101-Who like them? - Page 2

Ruger SP101-Who like them?

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101-Who like them? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks, everyone. I shot a .357 S&W 2.xx" yesterday, and that is what got me on the bug. He wanted $400 for his S&W. It ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101-Who like them?

Thanks, everyone.

I shot a .357 S&W 2.xx" yesterday, and that is what got me on the bug. He wanted $400 for his S&W. It shot fine, and was clean. It was accurate, adjustable sites, and ported barrel. The trigger was awesome on DA.

I was looking for a new gun for the same price, and came upon this one.

I will have to go check them out. The S&W was a 6 shot.

I have 16 in my 9mm, but was looking for a nice pocket/tight fit on hip gun for carry.

Thanks again.

I bought a 442 for the weight. The Ruger is a better looking revo.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I like mine. Matter-of-fact I've got it on right now.
    There are lighter five shots out there but nothing that will last as long.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I have two of them, EXCELLENT guns. Hard to beat a Ruger, very well made, rugged and reliable and backed by nonsense customer service.

I own MANY Ruger revolvers and have not any problems in many years of use. My single actions get a work every month several times. Highly recommend them.

Yes, it is on the heavy side, but extremely strong. Probably a bit heavy for pocket carry, but it can be done. I've got a IWB and pocket holster for mine and carry it either way depending on what I'm doing.

I had one years ago, way before the thought of Ohio becoming legal for CCW. I wish I had kept it. It would probably be a little heavy for pocket carry, however, a nice IWB rig would be nice! All I know is that it was a small hand cannon when used with the hot loads. My hand was bruised for a week! It was extremely accurate with the .38's. I would definitely consider another one. IIRC, the SP101 had a model with a shrouded hammer, or possibly it was a bobbed hammer.

D-
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

the wife and i went to a gun dealer today to hold the ruger sp101. they were out, but wouldn't you know it my wife asks to see a S&W 642LS. Rosewood handle, really nice.

Well everyone it seems that instead of me getting a .357 this go round it is going to come to me getting her a .38 LS.

I don't mind. She needs to get her carry license as well. She like to shoot, and shoots my 9mm well. So our 3 year is coming up. I think I will surprise her.

Thanks for all the advise. It was taken in, and I will continue to look for my .357 magnum.

I had a 3 1/16 that I really liked. Great shooter and good CCW for .357. Easy to control. I traded it a few months ago. What I didn't like was the weight for a CCW. I haven't ruled out buying/trading for another one, but it would probably be a 2.25 DAO. I really like the ease of disassembly/reassembly. Easy to smooth out the trigger and change the springs. Excellent for carrying a .357

My brother in law has one. It's a nice gun and I plan to get one some day not too far off. Action smoothed out nicely with just some use and dry firing. Takedown is very easy, no side plate.
    For carry though I went for a 640. Enclosed hammer- not just bobbed- and shorter grip length were the deciding factors for under a t-shirt on a small guy. The SP101 definitely is more pleasant to shoot .357s from, no doubt.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I've had mine for a week now, and today was the first time I carried it in my pocket, in a DeSantis Nemisis holster. It was surprisingly comfortable to carry that way; I usually carry my 642 like that. Even driving was comfortable with it in the pocket, and I feel more secure with the 357.

Don't own one, have shot then, was impressed with the accuracy, and want one!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Have two of em. My wife and I have had them for probably 18 years now and I won't ever get rid of them.

About the weight... Soaks up recoil and when you pick it up, you know you've got something that can save your life in your hand.

It isn't flimsy and it isn't wimpy. Mine is .357 and wifes is .38 spl. Both DAO bobbed hammers.

For a big brother I have a Ruger Speed-Six stainless steel with 3" barrel and six shots vs. the five in the SP's.

Ruger revolvers are Top Notch!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I must have had a lemon. Mine was the biggest piece of junk that I have ever owned. I could only shoot .38's, because the cylinder would swell so much with .357's that I would need a hammer to get the casings out. The trigger had a severe hitch in it that would hold the trigger to the rear and it would have to be pushed forward. I put a Wilson spring kit in it and it still was awful.. I had always heard good things about them, but there are definately lemons out there.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

normal... if you still have it, have you taken it to a smith? I hear Rugers are fairly easy to work on. I'm sure a decent local gunsmith could get it up and running perfect without a big dent in the wallet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I got rid of it a while back.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    the wife and i went to a gun dealer today to hold the ruger sp101. they were out, but wouldn't you know it my wife asks to see a S&W 642LS. Rosewood handle, really nice.
    You did good....great gun for a gal...with 38's it should be managable...and it will be less weight in her purse and no hammer snag if she carries that way. You may find she doesn't need an SP after getting used to the Smith.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links