SA/XD 45...plus my TLR-2

This is a discussion on SA/XD 45...plus my TLR-2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my XD45, 4 inch model(Lucille) for about a year now, and I'm getting ready to get my CC permit. I currently have a ...

Thread: SA/XD 45...plus my TLR-2

SA/XD 45...plus my TLR-2

I've had my XD45, 4 inch model(Lucille) for about a year now, and I'm getting ready to get my CC permit. I currently have a thigh holster for it, as it's the only thing I seem to be able to find available for my XD as I have a handy little TLR-2 on the bottom. I know Lucille is a bit bulkier with that, which brings me to my questions. Is it wise to carry Lucille concealed with a TLR-2, and if so, any ideas for where to find a holster?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I dunno why you would really need the light/laser combo for CCW use, but if that what floats your boat go for it. It wont hurt you.
    I dont know of any holster maker that makes a holster for that combo, but I'm sure you can get a custom done.
    "Just blame Sixto"

jwh
    Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrk07 View Post
    I've had my XD45, 4 inch model(Lucille) for about a year now, and I'm getting ready to get my CC permit. I currently have a thigh holster for it, as it's the only thing I seem to be able to find available for my XD as I have a handy little TLR-2 on the bottom. I know Lucille is a bit bulkier with that, which brings me to my questions. Is it wise to carry Lucille concealed with a TLR-2, and if so, any ideas for where to find a holster?
    I have an SA XD 45 Service with an XML light on it for a home defense gun. I recently purchased a Don Hume holster that is designed for this combo. I don't think I would consider carrying this combo.

jwh

Had to look up "TLR-2"

Although I frequent gun chat sites, I will admit that I had to Google "TLR-2" to see what you were talking about. I found that it is a light and laser attachment for hanging on your gun, as shown below:

Now that I see what it is, I'm not sure that I would use it for CCW. Maybe for home defense it would make sense, but it seems excessively complicated and bulky for a carry gun. Will you have time in a typical self defense situation to get this device into play?

The TLR is actually incredibly simple to use as the switch can be manipulated with your trigger finger. it is bulky, but not excessively. I have used it once in a situation with excellent results. I notice that some guys also carry a small flashlight with them in addition to their weapon, so I think the weight is negligible when compared with carrying a flashlight as well.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

You will have to look around for a concealment holster for a light mounted XD.

There are some in leather and some in Kydex available in concealment type holsters. However, a lot of them are only available for Glocks and Sig's at this point in time because of their popularity in the Law Enforcement Community.

I do think more and more will be coming out on the market for more models but you may be able to get one now for XD's if you research.

This is the one I have for my G-23 I wear on occasion when riding road patrol with the deputies or when the tac team is doing courtroom security for high profile trials and in plain clothes. It is the Nightguard made by Aker and right now I think only for Glock & Sig but you can get an idea from what it looks like.

Conceals well with loose outer garment like unbuttoned shirt or light jacket, but not so great if wearing a polo or golf shirt.

The only time I'm wearing my gun with a light attached is when I'm associated with LEO duties or my home defense gun. When just a civilian ccw I just have my night sights on my guns in regular holsters.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Aker....Don Hume....Bianchi.......I know for sure make holsters to carry weapons with lights mounted. My personal experience is with Don Hume but the Aker looks very interesting.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

This may be what you are looking for:
    http://www.wwlholsters.com/specialty-holsters.asp

I have no experience with them personally.

Links