PM9 or MK9

PM9 or MK9

This is a discussion on PM9 or MK9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have saved my pennies and I am buying a new EDC (deep cover, in the office etc). I have narrowed it down to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 or MK9

PM9 or MK9

Ok, I have saved my pennies and I am buying a new EDC (deep cover, in the office etc). I have narrowed it down to the PM9 or the MK9 by Kahr. The specs claim that they are the same size, but the MK9 has about 8oz on the PM9.

I guess the primary reason I like the MK is because I have a thing for wood grips... I know, it's kind of silly, but what can I say. I know that the extra weight will make it more pleasant to shoot as well. What's eating at me now, is I'm wondering how much of a difference that 8oz's will make when it's on me all day long.

I would love to hear the opinions of the peeps in this group... about the weight and any other detail I may not have thought of. I am about to make the purchase, this is the last of details to work out.

Thanks!
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have a PM9 & love it. Quite honestly, if I was going to get a MK9, I'd go ahead & get the slightly larger one with wood grips & larger handle.

My thinking, & again, it's just my thinking. Is that if you want a small, light, concealable 9mm, get the PM9. If you want slightly better ergonomics (Larger grip, more weight, longer barrel, etc), then get one of slightly larger models. When they first came out, I couldn't believe how NICE the larger ones with steel frames felt.

I ended up getting the PM9 & also have a Glock 19 (Along with a LW commander & a K-T P-32).

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

MK9 has a snappy recoil and if you have medium to large hands, get the 7-rd extended mag.

Also, this is definitely not a 25yd gun. With a 2.5" bbl, you're not looking at a tack driver. 7 yds max IMHO...

My MK9 is my Sunday gun...

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Um...the MK & PMs have 3" barrels. But otherwise they're not range guns. I didn't think you were looking for a range gun, but the larger models are definitely nicer to shoot & the non-poymeres can use wood grips.

Personally, unless I'm wearing my PM9 in a tuckable or pocket, I carry it with the extended mag in the gun. That allows me a full grip on the gun.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    MK9 has a snappy recoil and if you have medium to large hands, get the 7-rd extended mag.

Also, this is definitely not a 25yd gun. With a 2.5" bbl, you're not looking at a tack driver. 7 yds max IMHO...

My MK9 is my Sunday gun...
    I would think that the PM9 would be worse!

For me it would be the MK9, but I like a bit heavier more controlable handgun. Either of them I consider back up's but that's just me. I would and probably will throw an MK9 in my pocket for office carry, but EDC it's not going to cut it for me.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have both a p9 and a pm9. Both work fine , I will say tho DO NOT BUY A PM WITH A SERIAL NO EARLIER THAN STARTING WITH AB . Also i will say shoot a pm before you invest in one , they are not useable or desireable for everyone . The little suckers like to run " wet " , and like a real firm grip and wrist . try before you buy if you can , then select what suits you .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I would think that the PM9 would be worse!

For me it would be the MK9, but I like a bit heavier more controlable handgun. Either of them I consider back up's but that's just me. I would and probably will throw an MK9 in my pocket for office carry, but EDC it's not going to cut it for me.

Ti
    I hear you about the EDC. I have a couple other firearms that I carry on weekends and at night, a Glock 26 and a Para Ord 1911. But I have found that I cannot make those 'disappear' enough for my day to day life. Trust me, when I can, I will have a sufficient piece of iron on my side.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Um...the MK & PMs have 3" barrels. But otherwise they're not range guns. I didn't think you were looking for a range gun, but the larger models are definitely nicer to shoot & the non-poymeres can use wood grips.

Personally, unless I'm wearing my PM9 in a tuckable or pocket, I carry it with the extended mag in the gun. That allows me a full grip on the gun.
    Thanks for the info! You're right I am not looking for a range gun. After ruling out J frames I settled on one of these two models. The MK9 can use wood grips as well, that's what is making me want one mostly. I do however, like the weight of the PM9. Decisions decisions.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

I have the CW9 and love it. Never had any issues of any kind or type. I'm seriously thinking about getting the PM9 or PM40.

NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

I have a MK9

I bought a slightly used MK9 a few weeks ago and have fired about 75 rounds through it so far (it worked perfectly). I don't have any experience with the polymer framed PM9, which weighs about 7 ounces less.

The MK9 appears to be a very solid, well made gun of all stainless steel. The trigger is unusual - a long double action stroke of increasing pressure with a sudden break at about 6 or 7 pounds. Once you get used to the trigger, the gun is adequately accurate at combat distances. The sights are actually quite good for a small gun, and are the post and dot type you see in Sigs.

I think the MK9 is a bit heavy for pocket carry, although it is certainly small enough in dimensions to hide in a pocket, being about 0.90 inches thick in the slide and just under an inch thick in the grip. I think the best carry method for this gun will be a tuckable IWB holster, to take advantage of the very slim, short dimensions. I am shopping for such a holster now. In belt carry the weight of the gun is no problem, and I normally like more weight for better shooting and recoil control in such a small gun with a "2 finger" grip.

I also have a weakness for wood grips, and just ordered some from the Kahr website, along with the stainless recoil rod they offer, so I don't have to look at a plastic recoil rod sticking out of the muzzle. I think I am going to like the MK9 for certain applications when deep concealment is very important.

I would say the way you intend to carry it would determine if the weight difference between the two is real issue. You won't notice the extra weight on hip as much as you will in a pocket. If this will pocket carried, then I'd go for the PM with it's lighter weight. Naturally the heavier gun will be easier to control the recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I would say the way you intend to carry it would determine if the weight difference between the two is real issue. You won't notice the extra weight on hip as much as you will in a pocket. If this will pocket carried, then I'd go for the PM with it's lighter weight. Naturally the heavier gun will be easier to control the recoil.
    Very good point. I am (for now) planning on purchasing a CTAC and a Smartcarry. That being said, I wouldn't mind having pocket carry as an option... but I don't believe that is enough to push me towards the PM. You guys are all being very helpful, thanks!
    Dave

-Herman Melville

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I carry an MK9 quite often. Have owned it for several years, and it has been 100% reliable, a great little gun. I consider it a bit heavy for pocket carry, so I carry mine OWB in a leather beltslide.

I have no experience with the poly frame Kahr models.........

Just got a PM9 today, I have (2) P9, a P9 covert, P40, and a K40. I prefer the PM9 due to that 8 oz. less for pocket carry. I carry in dockers or jeans front pocket all the time, and it is awesome.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I have the MK9 Elite '03.
    I'd say go with the PM9 only if you're going to use exclusivley for pocket carry.
    Personally, I don't pocket carry so I wouldn't even consider it.
    I've been happy with the all SS MK9. Very reliable and very concealable. I haven't purchased the wood grips for mine yet but will.
    One reason I decided on the MK9 was that I had read a few unfavorable reports on the reliability of the PM9. Can't attest first hand on those reports but had only seen favorable reports on the MK9.
    Kahr MK9 Elite '03 would be my recommendation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links