1911 problems - Page 2

1911 problems

This is a discussion on 1911 problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep shooting it. If after 500 rounds or so it is still finicky then consider doing some work on it, spending money on it before ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 problems

Keep shooting it. If after 500 rounds or so it is still finicky then consider doing some work on it, spending money on it before then may be just throwing away good ammo money. I had one take 800 rounds to break in. Any close tolerance machine takes some use before all the components get working well as a team.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

OD*
    I had one take 800 rounds to break in.
    A Colt?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

It is used buts its doesn't look like it hasn't been used hard or messed with. Its hard to guess how rounds have been thru it. I only have one factory mag for it, and I was already going to get some wilson mags for it. Im going to go ahead and get some new spings for it also. I have had it out twice and I ran winchester 230gr. the first time. It ftf 2 times out 100 shots, so Im thinking its not an ammo problem. Im goint to shoot federal this weekend and see how it does.

Check the cleaness of the pistol. 1911s are not known for misfiring or stovepipeing. The highly modified custom guns are more likely to misfire rather than the out of the box standard pistol. If you throughly clean and lube the pistol and it still has a problem, seek a gunsmith to check it out. Make sure the ramp to the chamber is clean and that the magazine is clean and lightly oiled.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

I have a Colt officer and it will not jam in me. However, my young cousin was learning how to shoot it and he was getting some jams (FTF). I am sure he was limp wristing it because when he learned to hold it more firmly he had no more jams. I had this happen to me when I first got my DetonicsCM in the early 80's. It was me and not the gun.
    The 3" and 3 1/2" barreled guns are more sensitive to this than the Commander or Gov't models.
    It sounds like it has nothing to do with the extractor as it is a failure to feed.
    Is the round nose diving up or down? Tell us more about what the failure looks like and if it happens on the first, second, last,etc round. Have you tried other mags?
    Get a Wilson mag to eliminate the mag question and then I would use either a lighter or heavier recoil spring. I would also buy a reverse plug as that is the only weak point on the Officer.

Administrator

Aside from the magazines the extractor is the next biggest cause of failure to feed.

That would be because if the rear of the cartridge cannot move up into extractor then the bullet cannot enter into the chamber.

What many shooters blame on a rough feed ramp or barrel ramp or chamber is in reality a problem with the extractor.
    The problem is not with the bullet nose in the front but, the inability of the cartridge case to move up the breech face and into position in the rear.

Both, jams look identical but, everybody thinks of a feed related problem as being in the front and not the rear so they sometimes end up looking in the wrong place.

Aside from magazine related problems an improperly fit or tensioned extractor is the next biggest cause of FTF failure to feed related problems in the 1911.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Aside from the magazines the extractor is the next biggest cause of failure to feed.

That would be because if the rear of the cartridge cannot move up into extractor then the bullet cannot enter into the chamber.

What many shooters blame on a rough feed ramp or barrel ramp or chamber is in reality a problem with the extractor.
    The problem is not with the bullet nose in the front but, the inability of the cartridge case to move up the breech face and into position in the rear.

Both, jams look identical but, everybody thinks of a feed related problem as being in the front and not the rear so they end up looking in the wrong place.

Aside from magazine related problems an improperly fit or tensioned extractor is the next biggest cause of FTF failure to feed related problems in the 1911.
    I guess some folks just don't realize the 1911 is a "controlled feed" weapon, QK.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

if you havnt had 500+ rounds through it dont worry about it.
    my recoil spring came quite still so mine was stovepiping EVERY round for a few hundred. after 400 rounds i suddenly had zero problems.
    if you are having stovepipe type problems try locking the slide back when not in use. it helps a ton

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    if you havnt had 500+ rounds through it dont worry about it.
    my recoil spring came quite still so mine was stovepiping EVERY round for a few hundred. after 400 rounds i suddenly had zero problems.
    if you are having stovepipe type problems try locking the slide back when not in use. it helps a ton
    You're referring to Kimber, correct?
    Colt has no required round count break-in, they should work out of the box. I've been called crazy or a liar on this matter before, so call 1-800-962-2658, before you do.

Im leaning now towards a magazine related problem, because the jams were occuring on the last round. I just didn't think of that tell skeeeter said something. When it jams the round is pointing up in the chamber. I think the spring might be worn out in the magazine and doesn't have enough tension to feed that last round all the time. I have a couple wilson mags on order. I'll try them out, and if it still acts up I'll put a new extractor in it. This is making me wonder if I should have just bought that new Kimber Eclipse I was looking at.

Administrator
    A last round FTF - yep, a weak magazine spring could be the culprit. You need enough upward mag spring pressure to keep the last round solidly against the feed lips.
    Not to sound like a broken record but, your extractor tension could also be a bit tight. (a possible contributing factor)
    On the plus side one you get everything set the way it should be then you'll be glad that you bought the Officers Model.
    I had one and it ran flawlessly. Yours will also.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    Im leaning now towards a magazine related problem, because the jams were occuring on the last round. I just didn't think of that tell skeeeter said something. When it jams the round is pointing up in the chamber. I think the spring might be worn out in the magazine and doesn't have enough tension to feed that last round all the time. I have a couple wilson mags on order. I'll try them out, and if it still acts up I'll put a new extractor in it. This is making me wonder if I should have just bought that new Kimber Eclipse I was looking at.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The first thing I would do is go to King's Gunworks and order a new bushing, see: http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page04.html
    I did this and I have never had a problem with my Colt Officer Model. Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    The first thing I would do is go to King's Gunworks and order a new bushing, see: http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page04.html
    I did this and I have never had a problem with my Colt Officer Model. Regards, Richard
    Forgive my ignorance, but how does a bushing affect the feeding of a last round in a 1911? Thanks.

OD*
    When it jams the round is pointing up in the chamber.
    I would agree with QK, try new mag springs. Do yourself a favor and order a Type II Service Pak, the first thing I do after buying a used pistol, is change the springs.

SERVICE PAK - Type I contains the following factory specification springs: recoil spring, firing pin spring (extra power), hammer spring, magazine catch spring, firing pin safety spring, plunger tube spring and sear spring.
    Stock No. 69151 - Type I - Colt Officers.....$ 17.99 ea

SERVICE PAK - TYPE II contains all springs described in Type I pak above and a +5% extra power magazine spring.
    Stock No. 69152 - Type II Colt Officers.....
    http://gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Colt.html#1911ServPak

Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but how does a bushing affect the feeding of a last round in a 1911? Thanks.
    No, it effects reliability. If it only happens on the last round find a Wilson Combat Magazine to try. Regards, Richard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links