1911 problems - Page 3

1911 problems

This is a discussion on 1911 problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD You're referring to Kimber, correct? Colt has no required round count break-in, they should work out of the box. I've been ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 problems

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    You're referring to Kimber, correct?
    Colt has no required round count break-in, they should work out of the box. I've been called crazy or a liar on this matter before, so call 1-800-962-2658, before you do.
    yea mine is a kimber. and i loooove it

Also I have been considering a Wilson combat tow piece guide rod conversion for it. They say that reliablility and accuracy is much improved. Also I like the fact that they use a reverse plug and a single recoil spring. Any thoughts on this product? Should I get it or leave it as-is?

JD
    Administrator
    The two piece rods are a PITA, leave it as it is.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    Also I have been considering a Wilson combat tow piece guide rod conversion for it. They say that reliablility and accuracy is much improved. Also I like the fact that they use a reverse plug and a single recoil spring. Any thoughts on this product? Should I get it or leave it as-is?
    If you change it, I'd look seriously at the King's Gun Works version, 306A; http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page04.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Does it work?

I have held off on buying a 1911 because of some of the problems people say they have with them. Well I finally got one, and its not working right. It shoots well when it does shoot, but out of 150 rounds its had 4 failure to feeds. Does anyone have any suggestions what could be making this happen? Its a Colt MK IV series 80 officers model. I have been using 230gr remington UMC. My first thought was that it might need a new recoil spring or it doesn't like the ammo im using.
    Did you ever get that Officers' to run right? I've had the same model 12 years, no problems, even done some of the stuff they say you shouldn't, and it runs fine, but I always suppose it could go South, and am curious what it takes to get yours running right. A post when you get it fixed would be great. Thanks, and good luck.

NOOOO! I like FLGRs, but they must be one-piece, and sized for tool-less takedown.

I think me and my officers model finally came to an understanding for the most part. I got some wilson mags for it. The other day I ran 300rounds through it. I had one failure to eject. I am thinking I might try to work with the extractor to get 100% reliablility. The wilson mags about solved the problem. I've got over 1000 rounds on the officers model now. I've never owned a 1911 before and I can now say I know why people like them so much. I can shoot as good or better with my 1911, than I can with my glocks. I have alot of trigger time on glocks, but for some reason shooting a 1911 just seems to come more natural. I carry a glock on duty, but for off duty I am starting to think a 1911 might be the way to go. I am thinking the officer's might be a tad small for carry though. I am thinking about investing in a commander size 1911. The only thing I can't decide now is if I should go with the kimber eclipse pro, or get another colt.

My suggestion would be to PASS on the Kimber!

I think there is nothing finer than a Colt Commander with a bobtail job... all-steel or LW Commander. I've got three bobtail Commanders, a Colt 1991, Colt LW Commander, and an Ed Brown Class A bobtailed Commander... I can highly recommend this configuration! Here are the two of mine that I have photos of:

Gotta say these are easy to carry & conceal, easy to shoot, feel great in the hand, and don't suffer from the big drop in velocity that the little 3"er's do. They're also more reliable, typically than the shorties, AND, lastly, take full size mags even though their grip frames are abbreviated... in summary... I think there's nothing sweeter in a conceal carry 1911 than a bobtailed Commander. When I make some pics of my recently finished Colt LW Commander/EGW Custom Bobtail, I'll post them.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I used to have a mk4 ser 80 in stainless. Awesome pistol. I got it used. At some point, the barrel had been throated and the ramp polished. The ejection port was lowered and flared. I had an 18# recoil spring and I forget the hammer strut spring weight. That thing would eat rocks dang near....as long as they were fed from factory colt mags or my pachmeyer mags. I miss that pistol. Oh well, with a family comes sacrifice. God bill's suck!

sgb
    Small 1911s are much more prone to malfunctions than there full size brethren. Try Wilson combat 47DOX mags and see how she runs.

PS.......... change out your recoil springs ever 500 rounds.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Help for your Jams with Colt Officers

I have two custom Colt Officers Models. I had occasional malfunctions with the Colt Mag. I was told to get a Mecgar mag by a big name custom smith. I did and have never had another malfunction again. Please try the Mecgars I think this will cure your problem. David

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I bought 2x 8 rd McCormick mags for my Norinco 1911 commander, I have nothing but problems. On the last rd the gun chambers it, but won't fire, the slide appears to be fully into battery. If I pull the mag out the gun will fire, even if I put the mag back in. I know that it is catching on the slide somewhere, but can't see it. this only happens on the last rd and the same thing with both mags. I noticed that with these mags the bullet sits flatter than with the generic mags or colt mags. I tried the McCormicks in a colt 1911 and they worked fine.Any thoughts?

I am thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-BUL/M5-Cmdr.shtm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links