questions about pt1911

This is a discussion on questions about pt1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yes...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: questions about pt1911

yes

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Alrighty then, you don't have a ramped barrel.

This is a ramped barrel

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Ahhh...the Gun Doctors are here.

No, do not shoot those cartridges that have the bullets set back.

Well, what you don't want to do is start goofing with your pistol too early.

The first thing I would do if your pistol is brand spanking new is to continue shooting some ball ammo because you'll need to break your firearm in a bit no matter what else you do.

While you are doing that right away I would buy one magazine from Tripp Research and see if that solves your problem shooting the Speer. If it does then buy more Tripp magazines and save the one/ones that came w/ your firearm for the range.

Always suspect the magazine first.

The fact that your pistol IS feeding the Gold Dot but, just not the top round in the magazine tells us that there is no problem feeding Gold Dot EXCEPT when the upward magazine spring pressure is maximum. That is screwing up your feed cycle.

So...one thing you can try is just fully loading those magazines and just leave them fully loaded for at least a week. That might help.

Try those things first and then we'll go from there.

What type of followers do your magazines have are they flat on top or domed?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It maybe the ammo try different HP's I use and golden sabers and don't have any problems, I also use chip McCormick mags instead of the factory mags and everything runs smooth.

i picked up a wilson 47d mag yesterday to see if this would fix the problem. still the same result, feeds fine with hp if only seven in the mag and feeds ball ammo fine no matter what.

I will try loading to capacity to weaken the spring compression and i may try the golden sabre as it seems to have a smaller mouth and the bullet is a bit longer so it will start up the feed ramp sooner.

the factory mag followers are flat and the wilson is rounded.

this is my first 1911 and while interesting to figure out what is going on with it i am glad i did not have to go through this with my glock. i am a college student and trying different mags and hp's adds up pretty quick. i do hope to figure this out soon or mabe i will have a seven round mag 1911 on my hands.

OD*
    It sure doesn't sound like a magazine problem to me, if it's happening with multiple mags.

~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Well, you can always sell the Wilson mag right here on the forum for slightly less than you paid for it so that should not be a problem.

Notice how much higher the Tripp mags position the top round in the magazine?

The reason you should try a Tripp magazine is this:

You should also read this on the Tripp site. read it.

http://www.trippresearch.com/feature/angulargap.htm

If the Tripp magazine does not solve your problem then I would get your feed ramp looked at to make sure you have the correct distance there between the top of the frame ramp & where the barrel chamber starts. With the slide stop in the frame and w/ the barrel pushed all the way to the rear things should look exactly like this:

And if it's not that then it's likely your extractor.
    (which is a cheap fix)

OD*
    Well said QK.

You wouldn't believe the number of people who think the step between the barrel ramp and feed ramp shouldn't be there (then again, you probably do ).

~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    One other thing that you can TRY for carry (that won't cost you anything) is to feed one Speer into the chamber - load your magazine with the Speer except for the top rop round which will be Ball.
    So in a defensive situation your first round out of the barrel will be a Speer...your next round in the magazine will feed because it's ball...then your remaining Speer rounds in your magazine will feed because you said that they do.

(admittedly a temporary fix)

Sure dont sound like a mag problem try different hollow point and if not that back to taurus or find someone local to look at it see if anything jumps out

Not sure if you've tried this..but when I bought my first 1911, I was having a similar problem with the first round jamming in an 8 round mag, but working fine from 7 on. I read an article about the 1911, and it said that after you load a magazine, to place your thumb on the top round, and smack the base of the mag down against the palm of your other hand a few times. Something about getting the cartridges lined up correctly in the mag. I started doing that as a standard procedure when loading, and I haven't had a failure to feed since.

JD
    Administrator
    How much play is there with the mag inserted, meaning with the mag inserted will it "wiggle" up and down if you push/pull on the bottom of the mag?

JD

with every mag i have tried i can push it up about another 1/16 th of an inch after it is locked in position. simply pushing up on it does not let the hp load but if i tap it from the bottom it will go ahead and chamber the round. (the flat nose, which is large in diameter on gold dot, gets hung on the frame ramp)

any suggestions on smaller diameter hp's to try. what do ya'll carry in your 1911.
    sorry still no pics my budy can't remember to return my digital camera!!

try the cheapy winchester white box hollowpoints if it wont feed them there is deff a problem .. you could try a different mag catch but the little wiggle ya get i dont think would cause it

QKShooter the tripp research site described my problem to a T. I have ordered one of there mags ang will be using my wilson mag and two taurus factory mags as seven rounders and range mags.

I really hope this mag does the trick!!!!!

thanks alot everyone!!!! the knowledge here is far better than the jackhole at the gunstore who claimed the taurus is just crap and he knew because he built custom 1911's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links