Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions? - Page 2

Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OPFOR Many federal agencies have a very, very short approved list.... :) Does a 'list' of one even count as a list, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions?

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Many federal agencies have a very, very short approved list.... :)
    Does a 'list' of one even count as a list, per se??

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Get a Glock 23. Although it may not be the issued firearm with whatever agency you wind up with, I bet it will be on their approved list.

Good luck!
    +1 on that.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    My 2 cents...personally...I'd get a DA/SA gun with a decocker, like the SIG 229. Why? Because some people find them hard to shoot and take a long time to adjust to transitioning between the two trigger modes and decocking after firing. But if you've learned this system from the start, you won't have any issues if it becomes your mandatory carry gun.

And if you go to a Glock or a DAK Sig trigger or something else DAO-style, you won't have a bit of trouble transitioning from a DA/SA system to a consistent single trigger pull. But the reverse is not always true.

That said, you can't go wrong with a Glock. I'm just spouting my opinion. And I heartily agree that it's best to just wait until your agency instructs you how it wants to instruct you than developing different or bad habits before hitting the academy.

This is an excellent and very valid point. I'm kinda upset with myself that I didnt think about that... I think I'll take back my "it doesnt matter" comment.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not FBI or ATF, so I cant speak for them specifically. I am an LEO firearms trainer though.
    The most honest thing I can tell you is, dont train yourself. You will be much better off completly green when it come to the firearms stuff. The new shooters always do better.
    The reason why is no bad or even just different habits are engraved in your melon. They will teach you their way, and expect you to do it that way. If you "train" on your own, you will be digging yourself out of a hole instead of starting on level ground.
    If you must do something, just work on trigger control and sight picture. That can be done with any kind of gun. Besides, it might take you years to get hired and the feds change guns as often as underwear.
    Sound wisdom Sixto!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I just got back from FLETC a month ago. I too would advise you to buy what you want, not what is approved. It's like the old saying, "If the Marine Corps" wanted me to have a wife they would've issued me a wife."

They will issue you what they want you to have. Get ready to have your stance, grip and even how you carry your gun changed from what you do now. If you can't do it THEIR WAY you will go home.

Another word of free advice, take it for what it's worth, don't volunteer that you like to shoot or anything until after you get through the training. They do not want to hire a Rambobo, and some of them may think that's what you are if you bring up the subject before you get hired.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Another word of free advice, take it for what it's worth, don't volunteer that you like to shoot or anything until after you get through the training. They do not want to hire a Rambobo, and some of them may think that's what you are if you bring up the subject before you get hired.

Biker
    That's VERY good advice. Do NOT go into any interviews with any agency and emphasize your firearms familiarity and skills, unless they specifically ask. Work with any law enforcement agency is not about what firearm you carry, it's about protecting and serving the public. If you seem to emphasize your firearm prowess in an interview, it will leave the impression that you are just itching to put that firearms skill to work. Not a good impression to make!

Most LE agencies will have firearms instructors who care about your proficiency with their issued weapon, and will get you up to speed on whatever that weapon happens to be. Your interest in the subject will undoubtedly make you a fast learner. You'd be suprised how many LE officers couldn't care less about firearms, and don't own any other than their issue and maybe one BUG!

Glocks and Sigs are very popular with many agencies, local, state and federal. You won't go wrong to buy either one.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

alright...i'm going to the store and buying a G23 today!

thanks for all the other advice everyone!

Just be aware that you most likely will NOT be able to use your Glock on the job if you become a Fed. Most agencies allow you to use your issue gun only, not even if you own the same gun already. And most agencies have a single sidearm approved for use...there is no "list" for most.

But they're great guns...happy shooting...

I'm not a LEO but I have owned a G23 since the early 90's and I keep going back to it as a carry weapon. You will enjoy it. Not too big and 13 +1 capacity is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I keep going back to it as a carry weapon. You will enjoy it. Not too big and 13 +1 capacity is nice.
    that's what i keep on hearing so at the very least I'm getting a nice overall piece, even if the secret service plan doesn't pan out.

VIP Member
    even if the secret service plan doesn't pan out.
    I thought it was FBI/ATF? The USSS uses the Sig P229 in .357Sig...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I thought it was FBI/ATF?

it's anything other than county or city police at this point!
    (nothing against them!)

but yes.....FBI is my top choice and the only one I've begun speaking with directly.

Learning the Manual of Arms between a GLOCK & a Sig isn't the issue here. Shoot as much ammo as you can afford. Train with the best instruction you can find. And don't mention EITHER during the application/interview process. Just be in the (wonderful) position of, when the first Range Opportunity arrives, being able shoot whatever they put in your hand like you're the reincarnated love-child of Ed McGivern & Annie Oakley. It's NOT the arrow...it's the INDIAN!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Shoot as much ammo as you can afford. Train with the best instruction you can find.
    I have been shooting A LOT. It's mainly been with my Ruger MKII in bullseye matches, my G27, Taurus pt140, and an AR15. I'm at about 500 rounds a week spread over those guns.

My main instructor is an ex Marine, detective, sniper, and NRA instructor. He's an awesome coach and an amazing shooter.

I also constantly train physically and mentally.

I'd be more concerned about my education. All the Federal Agencies have excellent firearms training programs. I believe that a Law Degree gives you an excellent shot along with a perfect back ground for the F.B.I.. Good luck.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links