Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to begin training to potentially join the FBI, ATF, or other LE position. My choices are in that order. My shooting experience is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions?

Glock 23 - standard issue for FBI? questions?

I want to begin training to potentially join the FBI, ATF, or other LE position. My choices are in that order.

My shooting experience is mainly with subcompact pistols and high powered rifles.

I want to begin training with the gun that I may eventually be issued. I read somewhere the G23 is official issue for the FBI. Those words didn't come from the FBI so I wanted to hear if anyone had backup on what I've been told.

Also, other than an AR15 and entry shotgun, what other firearms should I learn?

thank you

2. Remove Ads

Hi something,

Secret Service use the Sig "P" series.

Darin

Administrator
    I'm not FBI or ATF, so I cant speak for them specifically. I am an LEO firearms trainer though.
    The most honest thing I can tell you is, dont train yourself. You will be much better off completly green when it come to the firearms stuff. The new shooters always do better.
    The reason why is no bad or even just different habits are engraved in your melon. They will teach you their way, and expect you to do it that way. If you "train" on your own, you will be digging yourself out of a hole instead of starting on level ground.
    If you must do something, just work on trigger control and sight picture. That can be done with any kind of gun. Besides, it might take you years to get hired and the feds change guns as often as underwear.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    As I've read on other forums Glock 22 or 23 is standard issue but other handgun's are on their approved list so they aren't limited to just the Glock. There is also rumor of their standard being changed to S&W's new M&P line.
    For God, Family and Country!

A friend of mine is in the FBI and she carries a Sig229. My uncle is in the LE side of the Dept. of fish & wildlife, and he carries the Sig229 as well. Our local and state agencies all issue Glock 22 or 23.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

glock.com states FBI's standard issue is G23.....soooo...I just want a cut and dry answer.

"sixto" regarding 'training'....I already train in the areas you're speaking of. I just would like to purchase a new pistol that is closest to what I may be using when the day comes. I don't see anything wrong with that.

thanks for the info

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    glock.com states FBI's standard issue is G23.....soooo...I just want a cut and dry answer.

"sixto" regarding 'training'....I already train in the areas you're speaking of. I just would like to purchase a new pistol that is closest to what I may be using when the day comes. I don't see anything wrong with that.

thanks for the info
    I do believe its the G23 too, but I do know of some that carry Sigs. How its decided who gets what, I dont know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I'm a federal leo and a firearms instructor and I cannot agree more with Sixto. Don't buy a handgun based on the agency you want to work for one day. The federal hiring process is EXTREMELY competitive. If you eventually get hired, they may very well have changed the issued handgun. For instance, the current issue FBI handgun for new agents is the G23. However, in the time I have worked in federal law enforcement, the FBI issued handgun has changed 3 times. And the changes were drastic. My wife is a federal leo also and her agency has changed handguns since she joined. My agency has changed since I joined. ATF has changed several times in the past decade. If you are going to buy a new handgun, buy something you want; something useful; something you will enjoy shooting.
    Just my humble opinion,
    Gonzo
    PS - The straight answer to your question is, yes, the G23 is currently issued to new FBI Special Agents.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

G22 or G23....your choice.

Get a Glock 23. Although it may not be the issued firearm with whatever agency you wind up with, I bet it will be on their approved list.

Good luck!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    Many federal agencies have a very, very short approved list.... :)

The Sig P228/P229 and the Glock are by far the most common federal LEO weapons. Some, like the DEA, use both. Some, like mine, use the P22X almost exclusively. If you are familiar with these systems, you will be ahead of the game when compared to most other entry level agents. That being said, things change, and who knows what you'll be issued if and when you get through the hiring process... Focus on fundamentals, don't become so set in your ways that you can't take instruction (even if it goes against instruction you have already had), and you'll be fine. You spend more time in classrooms then you do at the range, anyway! :)

That being said - why the ATF? I hope it's with the intent to change the system from within... No offense to any ATF guys out there, but they don't have the best "image" within the pro-2A community, you know? There are lots (and lots) of other federal agencies out there that you may never have heard much about that do very interesting things...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

HKR
    +1 for Sixto and Gonzo's advice. Worry about getting in, then worry about what you'll be carrying. Today it could be a Glock, a Sig, or even a Springfield 1911 (HRT members). Tommorrow it could be anything.

ok....my point and thought process regarding buying a new gun is.....if I'm at the range weekly right now with my G27, wouldn't it make a little more sense to be there with, if not THE gun I may end up using, atleast a gun similar in size, recoil, etc.???

With this post I just wanted to establish which gun I will buy next.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    ok....my point and thought process regarding buying a new gun is.....if I'm at the range weekly right now with my G27, wouldn't it make a little more sense to be there with, if not THE gun I may end up using, atleast a gun similar in size, recoil, etc.???

With this post I just wanted to establish which gun I will buy next.
    I think we all understand your question, but we are telling you that it doesnt really matter. Buy what you like, not what the FBI likes.

Anyhoo, I have both the Sigs and Glocks in question, they both are great guns and you cant go wrong with those.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My 2 cents...personally...I'd get a DA/SA gun with a decocker, like the SIG 229. Why? Because some people find them hard to shoot and take a long time to adjust to transitioning between the two trigger modes and decocking after firing. But if you've learned this system from the start, you won't have any issues if it becomes your mandatory carry gun.

And if you go to a Glock or a DAK Sig trigger or something else DAO-style, you won't have a bit of trouble transitioning from a DA/SA system to a consistent single trigger pull. But the reverse is not always true.

That said, you can't go wrong with a Glock. I'm just spouting my opinion. And I heartily agree that it's best to just wait until your agency instructs you how it wants to instruct you than developing different or bad habits before hitting the academy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links