Ok I want a laser for my Glock-Here's a poll

This is a discussion on Ok I want a laser for my Glock-Here's a poll within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; help me make a decision!...

View Poll Results: Which laser ?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lasermax (internal)

30 41.10%
  • Crimson Trace (external)

43 58.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok I want a laser for my Glock-Here's a poll

help me make a decision!

Administrator
    I detest lasers, but I voted for lasermax. I just think its a better location for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I detest lasers, but I voted for lasermax. I just think its a better location for it.
    I want a laser just as a defensive back up and to practice at the range. Crimson trace doesn't have on/off switch-kinda blows

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'm not a laser fan for guns, and don't have any, but to me this decision is a no-brainer: I would go for the internal one, the Lasermax.

Administrator

Thumbs up

I voted LaserMax.
    The on/off switch is a little bit on the small side but, that is its only negative. The switch is small but, it is workable.
    The LaserMax internal is the more common sense unit for the Glock. The parts meet or exceed Glock factory specs.

I see some real value to having the laser as an option on any self defensive handgun. They are ultra reliable.
    They allow the focus and the eyes to remain 100% on the threat and completely off the firearm and on the deadly threat if necessary.

It's a nice additional tool but, good trigger control and good gun handling skills are still necessary.

For individuals with many sorts of eye related problems they are best thing to come down the pike since frozen toast for self defense.

The downside is that they are expensive.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Been doing some research.......

Looked up awhile back the number of LEO's who used lasers vice no laser.........the percentage of shots fired/ hits was very much in favor of the lasered guns/LEO's......I don't remember the actual numbers but was very one-sided (I'll try to locate the link and post....unable to locate/remember right now).

Talked to a few of my local LEO's who recently got lasers on thier duty sidearms and said they were the best things they had purchased sense the Department allowed them. BG's all of a sudden became complient considerably faster when they got a laser accross thier face , then look down and see the"lil' red dot" on thier chests.

That's the whole reason in a nutshell for my getting a laser.....letting a BG know I got a bead on him AND the better odds of hits in a time of high stress situation.

As for which laser.......the poll looks dead even....go with what your most comfortable with
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    U would think my Lasermax doesn't have an on/off switch can't keep it turned off in the holster. I hate it. I have also had the chance to use a crimson trace and realy liked it.

I have both lasermax and Crimson Trace on Glocks. I've had problems with the lasermax breaking, so I'm a bit gun shy. The CT will automatically activate so that's an advantage of it. But if you don't want to use it you can remove it quickly. I also like the solid red dot that CT has.
    This is my two cents.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

VIP Member
    I take it your Glock doesn't have the rail then since you didn't mention that option... If it were me I'd go with the CT. Very popular and proven.

I have the Streamlight TLR-2 for my Glock 23.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would be hesitant to use the lasermax as I heard of a few "problems" with them over on glocktalk...but then I'm not a big fan of lasers either.
    I also think that activating the lasermax unit could be next to impossible in a high stress environment...looks like a prime example of using fine motorskills if you ask me.

Both my Lasermax and CT have off switches.The Lasermax can also be set for a solid or pulse beam. The pulse can be easier to see under some conditions and also doubles the battery life. Don't be a laser hater... they have a lot of positives for us shooters with 50 year old eyes.

I have both. CT on Colt Defender, Kimber Tactical Ultra II and LM in Sig P239 SAS. I like the CT better (and it does have an on/off switch) but put the LM in the Sig so as not to have to change the factory wood grips. Lasers are only for those time when you are in a position that it would be hard to aim correctly and shootin from an off hand position so at least you know where the round is headed. I would not change mine. I see it as an extra edge.

PS...what is intresting about these forums is that those folks that don't have either and probably never used either give inaccurate info and pre suppositions based on what they think apart from actual experience. Think I would go with those folks that actually have and use both brands. But that's just me.

I have a CT on my Gen. 2 G23 and love it. What I like most about it is there's no fumbling for a switch in a SHTF situation. When you grip the gun, it's on.

I'm of the opinion that the fewest things that need to be manipulated in a true stressed scenario the better, especially if I'm still blurry-eyed from being asleep.

If the event happens at night in my home, I've got a Surefire in one hand and my pistol in the other.

Some people believe that the instant on feature is a detriment and alerts the BG to your position. I disagree. First, if I'm walking through the house looking for the BG, theoretically my finger is in the safe position, outside of the trigger guard. My finger in that position blocks the laser, so the BG won't see it coming down the hall. Or, I can losen my grip slightly and disengage the switch.

Some have a problem with the extra 1/4 inch it adds to the width of the gun. I don't have any problems with it and think the benefits outweigh the extra width. I haven't found it to detract from its concealability.

I love mine and highly recommend it. It also adds a comfortable palm swell and brings the Glock grip angle more in line with the 1911 grip angle.

I hope this helps!
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My vote is for Crimson Trace Laser Grips.
    A few of my friends (LEO's I pull Auxiliary duty with) have lasermax but it's mostly because they got it before CT's were available.
    I have the CT grips on my secondary CC Taurus .38 special and when I had a Ruger P94 in .40 cal - I had CT's on it also.
    I like being able to tweak it in for better accuracy.
    For God, Family and Country!

I've got the new C/T on my G19 because an LEO (DEA) buddy told me he TWICE had a LaserMax malfunction during "real" use. Once, the broken, plastic battery cap caused his PISTOL to malfunction.

BUT...LaserMax has a NEW thinline model that attaches on the Tact Rail. THAT will likely be my next pick.

I can tell you (from personal experience) that you will NOT be looking at your sights during an armed encounter. You WILL be looking at the threat. And Laser Sights WILL show your pistol's POA. THAT'S what makes them absolutely required equipment on my CCW.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links