Upgraded my arsenal, G19 questions.

This is a discussion on Upgraded my arsenal, G19 questions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I made a change to my lineup last week. My carry gun had previously been a Taurus PT111 Pro. It got the job ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded my arsenal, G19 questions.

Hello all,
    I made a change to my lineup last week. My carry gun had previously been a Taurus PT111 Pro. It got the job done, but just didn't fit my hand great, and didn't aim naturally for me. Had my eyes open for a suitable replacement for the last few weeks, and while in my local gun shop the other day, I found it - a lightly used (aka previously loved) 3rd Gen Glock 19. The proprietor offered a decent trade-in price for my Taurus, so I made the trade, and am now using my G19 as my EDC. First off - I LOVE IT! It fits my hand great, points very naturally, and after an afternoon of practice, I can punch 2.5-3 inch groups at the center of my targets at 10 yards.
    So, as a result of my change, I have a couple of questions for any of you Glockers out there. First off - I've done lots of reading about available mods for a G19. (Yet another reason I love it - you can actually find aftermarket parts, accessories, etc, unlike for my Taurus.) I've looked at extended mag releases, slide locks, different spring options, sights, grip mods, etc, etc. Do any of you have any input as to what what's worthwhile, and what's not, and what I may not have found/thought of yet? I'm especially interested in maybe finding a new trigger spring setup, maybe a little heavier then the stock 5.5 lbs. Also, while it doesn't appear to have been fired much, and is in good shape, being a used gun does anyone have recommendations for preventative maintenance I should consider, just to make sure all parts are fresh? Any suggestions?
    My other question (for the time being)... After getting back from it's maiden voyage (in my ownership, anyway), I wanted to give it an obligatory cleaning. Field stripped in accordance to the user manual, and re-assembled, and I almost think the slide wiggles a little more then it did. Not a large amount at all, just the tiniest little wiggle that I don't remember it having before. (To be honesty, I didn't really check for it before stripping it, so it's very possible it was there before and I just didn't notice.) Is it normal for it to have a little play side to side? I've since removed the slide 2 or 3 more times, and it still wiggles upon reassembly. Thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

(I LOVE MY GLOCK!)
    .40 is fine.

I have a Glock 19 as a dedicated "House Gun" and "Very Seldom Carry Gun".

I prefer to carry a Revolver or two, but can, have and do carry the Glock 19 on occaision. My only advice is, except for the Trigger, leave it alone. If you go to any shooting school the Glocks you will see that have problems are the one's that have been "modified" with springs and extended this and that.

The only modification I did to my Glock 19 was to install the NY1 Trigger, using the "Stock" Connector. It's an easy drop in to install and gives the Trigger a Revolver like feel with about an 8 pound pull. It eliminates all the creep and mushy take up that a stock Glock Trigger has.

That's my $0.02 on the matter, good luck and congrats on a fine defensive weapon.

Biker

Seems like sound advice, Biker. For that trigger, I've heard of both NY1 and NY2, do you know what the pull difference is, and if one is better then the other? B lbs sounds about right, though.

You mentioned using yours as a home defense gun, I'm thinking a 31 round G18 clip full of HP's and one of those Glock brand light/laser combos would turn a G19 into a mighty fine Bump-In-The-Night-Getter as well. :-)
    .40 is fine.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I was watching a segment on Personal Defense TV (DVD I just got) and a guy was talking about the attributes of the Springfield XD. He mentioned that since the striker is fully cocked by the action of the slide, instead of being partly cocked and then the remainder of the cocking done by the trigger pull, the trigger pull is lighter, more like a single-action. So since he was pointing out that lighter was better, I don't know why you would want to go with a heavier trigger for the GLOCK, whose trigger pull already has you doing work against the striker spring.

I thought that the heavier "NY trigger" is for cops, so they have to be a bit more deliberate on the trigger to fire the gun. They may need that because they are tussling with someone, trying to effect an arrest, arriving on a scene not sure who has to be shot... As a civilian I am much more likely to know who needs shooting: he'll be the guy breaking in, or coming at me with a knife, etc. Less need for a harder-to-pull trigger.

I have easy access to genuine GLOCK parts and replacements through a guy at our local perennial gun show, "G&L GLOCK." I always buy something from him, even if it's just some backup springs (which I've never even needed, but they're good to have). I could have outfitted my GLOCKs with extended this or that by now, but since they are used or CCW, I view extended releases as a snag-liability. I go with what's stock. Exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I was watching a segment on Personal Defense TV (DVD I just got) and a guy was talking about the attributes of the Springfield XD. He mentioned that since the striker is fully cocked by the action of the slide, instead of being partly cocked and then the remainder of the cocking done by the trigger pull, the trigger pull is lighter, more like a single-action. So since he was pointing out that lighter was better, I don't know why you would want to go with a heavier trigger for the GLOCK, whose trigger pull already has you doing work against the striker spring.

I thought that the heavier "NY trigger" is for cops, so they have to be a bit more deliberate on the trigger to fire the gun. They may need that because they are tussling with someone, trying to effect an arrest, arriving on a scene not sure who has to be shot... As a civilian I am much more likely to know who needs shooting: he'll be the guy breaking in, or coming at me with a knife, etc. Less need for a harder-to-pull trigger.

I have easy access to genuine GLOCK parts and replacements through a guy at our local perennial gun show, "G&L GLOCK." I always buy something from him, even if it's just some backup springs (which I've never even needed, but they're good to have). I could have outfitted my GLOCKs with extended this or that by now, but since they are used or CCW, I view extended releases as a snag-liability. I go with what's stock. Exclusively.
    First time I held someone at gunpoint I can guantee you that all the training to keep the trigger finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire went out the window.

The advantage to the NY1 Trigger is that it gives a little more trigger resistance to help prevent accidental discharges in high stress situations. You may have nerves of steel and ice water in your veins, but I doubt it. Nothing personal, but I doubt you will be cool, calm and collected if you ever have to use your gun for real. That's why I use and advocate the NY1 Trigger.

The legal system is full of people that had an "OOPS" moment, I want to try and prevent that if I can.

Biker

I have purchased several used second generation Glocks (19's and 23's). I always replace the recoil springs with Wolff factory equivalents. I install a grip plug. I apply grip tape to the grip. I also install night sights. I have not modified the triggers as I feel the standard pulls are adequate. Much of my parts come from http://www.topglock.com/ and my holsters from www.kdholsters.com

It is normal for there to be a bit of play in the slide. Glocks are factory made with loose tolerances that aid in reliability.

Enjoy your Glock and welcome to the "dark" side.

You may want to get tritium sights. I don't have them on my 19, but my wife has them on her 19 and likes them a lot.

I agree with peacefuljeffrey, the mag release extenders will cause hang-ups when carrying concealed.

My wife's 19 also has a grip plug and mine doesn't. After firing both, I can say that I don't see any real difference.

Even though I have a SIG listed as my carry gun, it is for summer use. When the weather gets a little cooler, I will be back to my Glock 19. It was my first carry gun and I still like it for that purpose.

Also, be careful of the 30 round mags. I have not had a lot of luck with them, they tend to be hard to load and the weight doesn't let the ones I had align properly all the time when trying to load quickly. If you want a couple more rounds, simply get some G34 17-round mags.

I have three Glocks and think that they are great guns, G19, G34, & G36. The G34 is for tactical and IDPA. The G36 is my bedside gun and is still new to me as I've only put about 500 rounds through it. I have put thousands of rounds through my 19 and it is very dependable.

As said before, "Welcome to the dark side."

Couple of thoughts:
    1)Most "non-departmentally dictated" Glock users using the NY trigger spring do so because it is less likely to fracture than the stock coil spring. It provides a consistant takeup through the pull, so, FWIW...

2)Slide "slop" is normal- afterall, this was designed as a field combat weapon.

3) I actually use my slide release, and the best I've used is the AeroTek.

4)Factory sights stink. I have switched all my arms to the XS Express sights. Very fast and user-friendly.

5)Mags- stay with Glock, aftermarkets are bad. +2 basepads have earned a bad rep with people using them other than on "the square range". 30 rounders- I have no particular need for them, but it is rather like the MP5-PDW in this respect. Carry with the stock mag, and have 2 30 rounders for a reload. A gentleman living and working in Brazil says this is about the most common arms combination around, down there(obviously a system that works,as its seeing daily tryouts). Depending on where you live, might be worthwhile...

As far as the heavier trigger pull, I do like the idea of a little more resistance, yeah. Still getting used to the idea of no external safey. Still curious about a NY1 vs a NY2 trigger?
    .40 is fine.

JT
    I keep my Glocks stock.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I, too, am an experienced G19 shooter. It's among my top three selections for CCW duty. I've changed my sights, installed; a GLOCK Extended Slide Release, a G17 "smooth-faced" trigger & a 3.5 lb. Ghost Rocket connector. I've performed a "$ .25 trigger job" (see GLOCKtalk) & mounted a new Crimson Trace Laser on the backstrap. IMHO, the G19 is the Top Pick of the GLOCK Line-up (and I've got two other GLOCKs with which to compare).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The NY1 gives about an 8 pound trigger pull with the stock connector. The NY2 gives about a twelve pound trigger pull with the same stock connector.

I remember hearing or reading, probably both, NOT to use the NY2 with the stock connector. I recall something about malfunctions and jams, but it's been too long to clearly recall.

I also advocate Night Sights, sorry I didn't make that clear. I like the "revolver-like" pull on my Glock with the NY1 Trigger. At one time I had a NY1 and a 3 pound connector. The reason I switched back to the stock connector was I felt that a 5.5 pound trigger for a D.A. was just a little too light. My 1911 had a 4 pound trigger at the time, but I no longer carry a 1911.

Like I said, off-duty I prefer to carry a Revolver, but I got my Federal "gig" with a waiver on my age. If I do twenty years with the Feds I will be past the mandatory retirement age when I retire. Besides the sights and a NY Trigger I wouldn't change a thing, just change the recoil spring every 10,000 rounds.

Biker

Ok, sounds like the NY1 is probably the best and easiest way to go. That something that most gunsmiths have in stock, or an internet special order? Something a layman could install himself, or to have a gunsmith do?

I've been looking at night sights as well, Trijicon the way to go? I've seen some fiber optic sights as well, for less money, but it seems like it might be worth the extra cost to have the actual glow-in-the-dark tritium type.
    .40 is fine.

I've added base plugs and switched out the grooved triggers for a smooth faced ones ( the standard factory trigger were eating up the tip of my trigger finger ) I also added the extended slide release, keeping the mag release stock to avoid dropping the mag by bumping it or pinching it on my holster. My Glocks were all purchased with night sights. My carry Glocks have standard factory trigger connectors. I've installed the 3 1/2 lb connector on my range Glocks

I have done some extensive modifications to my Glocks but the only thing that I believe needs to be changed is the sights. The stock Glock ones are horrible to me. I know very, very few people who actually like them.

it is nice to see that I'm not the only one who has swapped out the serrated "target" trigger that comes on the smaller version.

Oh, and as for what you might do to make sure the gun is in proper working order is to take it to a Glock armourer for a look. They will tell you if everything is all right and might replace the springs and stuff for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links