I love my Glock, but...

This is a discussion on I love my Glock, but... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't carry it, because it doesn't have a manual safety. I know most here disagree with the desire for a manual safety, but that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love my Glock, but...

Lightbulb I love my Glock, but...

I don't carry it, because it doesn't have a manual safety.

I know most here disagree with the desire for a manual safety, but that discussion is for a different thread.

I found a company that will install a manual safety on my Glock for about $150.00

Does anyone have any experience with an after market manual safety, or this company.

The Glock would become my new favorite carry piece if this solution is as good as it sounds.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html

2. Remove Ads

I believe its the Cominolli safety, and if so, you might have a local smith that could save you $100(all the shipping).

I wouldn't recommend it- its adding a complex mechanism (read: addind probability of failure) to a KISS system, but I can understand how you feel.

Alternative course of action

If you spend $150 to install an aftermarket manual safety on your Glock, it will probably make the Glock harder for you to sell in the future, as most buyers will not want that feature.

There are quite a few handguns on the market with a factory installed manual safety as part of their design. Examples would include most Berettas, H&K USPs, 3rd generation S&W autos, 1911s, etc. If I were you I would buy one of these for carry, and either sell the Glock or keep it for range use, where the lack of a manual safety will not be a problem.

There IS a manual safety on the glock, just not in the traditional sense. Do yourself a favor, don't mess up a great weapon by adding a needless (complicated install) item. If you're really worried, get a saf-t-blok and save yourself some loot!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I believe its the Cominolli safety.
    Sure looks like it.

Persuading my gunsmith to do it, would be like pulling teeth.
    When I asked him if there was an add-on manual safety, I got a 15 minute lecture on the intrinsic safety built in.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you spend $150 to install an aftermarket manual safety on your Glock, it will probably make the Glock harder for you to sell in the future, as most buyers will not want that feature.

There are quite a few handguns on the market with a factory installed manual safety as part of their design. Examples would include most Berettas, H&K USPs, 3rd generation S&W autos, 1911s, etc. If I were you I would buy one of these for carry, and either sell the Glock or keep it for range use, where the lack of a manual safety will not be a problem.
    My daily carry is a S&W CS45 or a PPK/s, both of which have a slide mounted safety, that operate similarly. They are both great guns, and I like them...but the Glock is like custom made for my hand.

Shooting it, feels like I’m a conducting a symphony orchestra.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo2020 View Post
    (bet he wouldn't carry his 1911 cocked and unlocked though )
    Nor would I, because the 1911 doesn't have the INTERNAL safeties of the Glock, not to mention the 1911's lighter trigger pull, and the fact that the Glock is NOT cocked until the trigger is pulled... If you're uncomfortable with the lack of external safeties on the Glock, then that's certainly your right - but comparing a Glock to a "condition zero" 1911 is false logic.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Nor would I, because the 1911 doesn't have the INTERNAL safeties of the Glock, not to mention the 1911's lighter trigger pull, and the fact that the Glock is NOT cocked until the trigger is pulled... If you're uncomfortable with the lack of external safeties on the Glock, then that's certainly your right - but comparing a Glock to a "condition zero" 1911 is false logic.
    I edited the comment out

Quote Originally Posted by Geo2020 View Post
    I don't carry it, because it doesn't have a manual safety.

I know most here disagree with the desire for a manual safety, but that discussion is for a different thread.

I found a company that will install a manual safety on my Glock for about $150.00

Does anyone have any experience with an after market manual safety, or this company.

The Glock would become my new favorite carry piece if this solution is as good as it sounds.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html
    What holster do you carry your Glock in? I ask because I feel plenty safe with mine in a holster that covers the trigger. When I draw my finger is out of the trigger guard until I'm ready to fire.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    Just curious.............

What about a revolver, would you not carry one of those? (most DON'T have a safety either.)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Your Glock is as 'safe' as anyother weapon. I have two EDC's, a Kimber Ultra, and a Glock-36.
    Remember, the real safety is your finger...if you drop the Glock, it isn't going to fire, but if you drop a 1911 that is not C & L...well, that could be a problem.
    It's a 'finger' thing...nothing more or less...

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Glock is probably one of the safest handguns made as is! As one poster already put it you have to pull the trigger to set the striker. Its almost next to impossible to make one go off without pulling the trigger. 1911's expecially with some of the mods done to them these days to be "Competition" guns. I would feel a little less secure.

"Before" you do the safety modefication due a little more research on the internals of a GLOCK. Heres the Best video I could find short notice http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+pistols&hl=en
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Geo, I won't stomp your Smurf, if it makes you happier with your weapon, then by all means, but...

for about $100 more, why not take a class from a guy who lives, breathes and eats Glock (and spits tacks!):
    http://www.suarezinternationalstore....ROD&ProdID=341

Familiarity breeds comfort. Just a thought- he's down your way a few times a year.

I sold my Glock for that very reason.

I think guys are blowing smoke when they talk about the safetys on Glocks. I don't care if it has 150 safetys. If you pull the trigger, it shoots, as some people have found out the hard way, including at least one LEO whose shirttail pulled the trigger. That won't happen with a 1911 which has a traditional safety and a grip safety.

I got a Springfield XD with the same type safety as the Glock PLUS a grip safety to replace the Glock. In my mind it is a heck of a lot safer.

Having said that my CC is a Kahr without even the trigger safety. I just don't carry one in the pipe. A lot of people says that makes me too slow, but what the hey, at age 71, I doubt I will win any speed draw contests anyway. (Old age and treachery will defeat youth and skill....... I hope!)

here is a better way for a safety instead of messing up the frame of your glock you can switch the triger out later if oyu want to sell it.http://siderlock.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links