Gun Butter - Anyone Use Or Know About This Product?

This is a discussion on Gun Butter - Anyone Use Or Know About This Product? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I'm an "Official Glockite", another "OG" gave me a gunshow sample of a product named Gun Butter. He said lots of Pro shooters ...

Thread: Gun Butter - Anyone Use Or Know About This Product?

Gun Butter - Anyone Use Or Know About This Product?

Now that I'm an "Official Glockite", another "OG" gave me a gunshow sample of a product named Gun Butter. He said lots of Pro shooters use it and really like it. (Not sure if they're paid to like it or not. )

It looks sort of like reddish transmission fluid and a drop goes a really long, long way. I decided to try some on my new G-19 later this morning when I go shooting.

I'm asking because there are so many "miracle" oils, lubrication products and just plain BS hype, that I'm kind of lost in the fog on this one.

Primarily just interested in your opinion on this singular and specific product, if you are familar with it.

Regards,

just me
    It's the dead ones that get up and kill you. So you better do your job right!

2. Remove Ads

I use it and like it, but I never claimed to know a lot about these things.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

I never used that product, but I have used bore butter for
    my black powder guns.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic View Post
    I use it and like it, but I never claimed to know a lot about these things.
    Thanks! The problem may be that with a Glock you need (I'm told) so very little lube, that any good product will be just as good as another. Who knows????

just me

I think any quality oil will do the trick with a glock. Can't beat a free lube though. me love you long time!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    I think any quality oil will do the trick with a glock. Can't beat a free lube though. me love you long time!

Or in the world of guns, maybe that's "boom-boom" long time!

just me

I like it because it stays put. Mainly use it on the .50 bolt, everything else evaporates too quick (very dry here).

I can't remember if I've tried it on the MP5, don't think I'd really notice it though.

I've heard of it and was debating ordering some just 2 weeks ago.

It's been around for some time like IIRC a decade give or take a year. It is used by several folks including Todd Jarrett. It's supposed to work as advertised and to do so well as reported by multiple people on the internets at various gunfu forums who have had direct experience with it. It's not the same nor associated to Hoppe's 'Bore Butter'.

Per volume though it costs a grip...and that is the only reason I have not ordered any.
    Instead I figure if I'm going to pay fee$ then I'm going to order TW25B which comes stock on Sig and my very close tolerance Gen I GSR seems to prefer as well is very well known for it's performance and is regarded by most and Uncle Sam to be the best.

TW25B mfr. website - http://www.mil-comm.com
    MSDS - http://www.hostonline2001.com/Mercha...msds_tw25b.pdf

Otherwise with my other firearms I have for years on the cheap been using Mobil 1 15W as a lube and protectant with thus far fine and functional success.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I've heard of it and was debating ordering some just 2 weeks ago.

It's been around for some time like IIRC a decade give or take a year. It is used by several folks including Todd Jarrett. It's supposed to work as advertised and to do so well as reported by multiple people on the internets at various gunfu forums who have had direct experience with it. It's not the same nor associated to Hoppe's 'Bore Butter'.

Per volume though it costs a grip...and that is the only reason I have not ordered any.
    Instead I figure if I'm going to pay fee$ then I'm going to order TW25B which comes stock on Sig and my very close tolerance Gen I GSR seems to prefer as well is very well known for it's performance and is regarded by most and Uncle Sam to be the best.

TW25B mfr. website - http://www.mil-comm.com
    MSDS - http://www.hostonline2001.com/Mercha...msds_tw25b.pdf

Otherwise with my other firearms I have for years on the cheap been using Mobil 1 15W as a lube and protectant with thus far fine and functional success.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    Thanks Jang for the intel. I got the impression Gun Butter was some new whizbang wonder oil. Makes me feel better if its been around the block a few times.

just me

I use it with my PCR and P226. Is it better than other lubes, I'm not sure. It goes on easily, stays put, but it is pricey. I don't know that I'll buy more, but I also can't complain about it either. Sorry about being wishy-washie, but I've shot for 40 years and given it or a cheaper product (I liked in the past) wouldn't spend the extra cash.
    Be safe.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Never used it before, but I run my glocks pretty dry anyways. When I bought a used G19 a few years back, the previous owner had commented that he was having problems with it. When I broke it down, it was so over lubed that it was practically swimming in oil and of course was full of gunk. A good cleaning, and it has never failed me once.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator

Firearm lubes have come a long way. There are a lot of products out there. I guess some are hype but, some are really good.
    One of the first "slick lubes" was pure silicone blended with Sperm Whale Oil...just an interesting FYI. Of course since the whaling ban that's not being made anymore.

The "science" of firearm lubrication has come a long way though. There are lubes that bond to the base metal with molecular bonding. Break Free is a classic great lube and FP-10 is reportedly somewhat better.

I am using Jardines Extreme on my frame/slide rails and I love it.
    A little bit goes a long way and it stays put.

Brownell's has had a fantastic one in their catalog for a while now.
    I'll hafta grab the name of that one for you.

Really though many are not hype...science and chemistry keep on moving forward and it filters down to us in the way of great products to choose from.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I use Gun Butter.

I use it on my 2 handguns (XD-9 and Beretta 92F Compact) and my AR15.

I like it because it stays where you put it, does not run like most oils. Its made for polymer-to-metal contact in addition to metal-to-metal contact. It does not attract dust/dirt. Does not wash off in the rain. And it really makes the slides on my handguns and the BCG in my AR feel like they are on ball bearings.

It is a bit expensive for the volume you get but one bottle lasts a long time. I've been using the same bottle for the last year and a half. That does not include the AR, I just finished building that a few months ago. The year and a half is with shooting my XD and Beretta, 600-800 rounds a month total for both.

My XD is my EDC gun, IDPA gun and training/class gun. I shoot 2-3 IDPA matches a month and do 3-5 defensive handgun training classes a year. I clean and lube it after every time I shoot it.

After a year and a half I've used about 1/3 of the bottle. I'm sure that the rest of the bottle will last at least another 6 months. So $10 a bottle over 2 years to lube 2 handguns and a AR15 is not too much for me.
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

Good Stuff!

I've been using Gun Butter for a few years now and am totally sold on it.

This is NOT an oil that would be used on the outside or guns or in the bore.

It is also NOT a grease. But rather a very thick oil intended to be used on things like slide rails.

I like it because it stays where it is put without running or drying out.

Very slippery stuff and a tiny bit alongside each side of the hammer on wheel guns and on the star makes them work noticeably smoother.

As for the price, you get a one ounce bottle (with needle applier) for around $14. This should last an average shooter for several years thanks to that nifty little applicator. So I would not let the price bother you.

...Skye...

Damon, Skye and many others,
    Thanks for the intel, I appreciate it. I fully intend to use "GB" at least until my sample runs out.

just me

Links