New Kahr K9: ongoing review

This is a discussion on New Kahr K9: ongoing review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Monday, I picked up my brand new Kahr K9. As I knew already, the fit and finish is excellent and the machining is art. ...

On Monday, I picked up my brand new Kahr K9. As I knew already, the fit and finish is excellent and the machining is art. The rubber grips are very ... er ... grippy. The gun is 29 oz. with a full mag.

At the range:
    1) The recoil and reloading seems very sharp and quick to me. Target acquisition after a shot is very quick as well.
    2) I think I'm more accurate with this gun than with my PX4. I'm not doing a grouping test until after the break-in period of 200 or so shots.
    3)Throughout the entire break-in period plus an additional 50 rds., I got light striker strikes about one per mag. This had me very concerned, but I held off judgement until after talking to Kahr. I really like this gun and from what I've heard, Kahr has good customer service and I'm sure this can be fixed.

Today I called Kahr and the service person there said there are a couple of possible causes and I need to send it in for servicing. He was very accomodating and said it should be about a week, but allow for up to 2 weeks. I boxed it up and UPS has it now.

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by sailormnop; July 26th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Administrator
    I know its a dumb question, but did you try different ammo? Even ammo from different batchs can be different.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know its a dumb question, but did you try different ammo? Even ammo from different batchs can be different.
    True, but a gun should work with all ammo of a caliber, IMO. Kahr agreed. But really, are the primers going to be that different?

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sailormnop View Post
    True, but a gun should work with all ammo of a caliber, IMO. Kahr agreed. But really, are the primers going to be that different?
    I agree that it should too, but some primers are far to tough and are out of spec.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Recently bought a Kahr P40, did not like the snap initially, so I added a steel guide rod and a ported barrel. That tamed the excessive kick somewhat, but still had problems with ammo feed and slide jam. Some ammo worked better than others but none 100%.

Kahr service reps were very accommodating, sent the gun in for a little fit and polish and it is smooth as silk with either barrel/guide rod configuration.

Turn around from Kahr was about three weeks and one phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by jharding View Post
    Recently bought a Kahr P40, did not like the snap initially, so I added a steel guide rod and a ported barrel. That tamed the excessive kick somewhat, but still had problems with ammo feed and slide jam. Some ammo worked better than others but none 100%.

Kahr service reps were very accommodating, sent the gun in for a little fit and polish and it is smooth as silk with either barrel/guide rod configuration.

Turn around from Kahr was about three weeks and one phone call.
    Good to know - thanks. I've been thinking about that ported barrel and stainless guide rod myself. Not because of excessive snap - the weight of K9 is quite sufficient - I just think it might make it even better. It can wait though.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree that it should too, but some primers are far to tough and are out of spec.
    Hmm, I didn't know primers had any variation to speak of. Anyway, it was all WWB, but from 5 different boxes bought in at least 3 different places/times. I didn't want to waste any SD ammo on the break-in.

It came back today by FedEx. Kahr only had it for one day! The invoice says "Replaced striker. tested OK." I'll be headed to the range sometime this weekend for a real test.

Links