Defensive Carry banner

Revolver cleaning ?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  P95Carry 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I wouldn't use WD40 on a gun

WD40 is known to have the property of penetrating ammunition and rendering it impotent by reacting with the primer material or gunpowder. The latest "American Handgunner" has an article on this that I was just reading. So I wouldn't use it on a gun. My choice is "Rem Oil", a light oil manufactured by Remington for gun use.

#3 ·
Anything resembling oil - but NOT WD 40 - please.:wink:

WD='Water Displacement" - and IIRC 40 was the 40th formulation.

That stuff is not a lube at all - at least not in the long chain molecule sense. It has a volatile content which when evaporated leaves a nice ''varnish''. There are so many lube options for guns ... even if employing a motor oil like Mobil1 - but not WD ... IMO bad juju!

#5 ·
Actually if all I had was CLP I think I'd survive just fine.

My selection includes G96 (good for quick work) - Hoppes #9 of course ..... and for lubing these days Militech 1 and Mobil 1 ..... but even so there is Rem Oil somewhere and numerous other oild collected over time :wink:

I do also like Boeshield - particularly for external protection on blued - but a CLP rag does almost as well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After thought - tho not a liquid of course but Lewis deleader real handy, and if needed some Bore Scrubber or J-B Bore paste.

#9 ·
I've been wanting to try Action Magic II from Brownell's

I love experimenting with different lubes. This is one I've been wanting to check out.

Increased Lubricity For All Moving Metal Parts; Exclusive, Two-Step Dry Formula Will Not Attract Water, Dust, Sand Or Contaminants

Action Magic II is made for the gun enthusiast, hunter and competitor that needs superior firearm lubrication with- out the greasy feel or contaminant-inducing properties so common to conventional gun oils. Action Magic II is not a quick-spray, "wonder oil", but a two-step, permanent, firearms lubrication treatment with a natural affinity for metal that actually bonds to any metal surface at the molecular level. Easy-to-apply treatment greatly enhances surface lubricity for extreme, long-lasting resistance to corrosion and accelerated wear caused by friction and heat. After firing literally thousands of rounds, tests on semi-auto pistols have shown no measurable wear, and cleanup was as simple as dusting off powder residue with a soft nylon brush! Unlike oil-based lubricants, Action Magic II will not attract moisture in wet environments and cannot freeze in cold weather. The dry, silver-gray, lubricated surface resists powder residue, carbon, lead, dirt and fouling so your firearm stays cleaner, longer. Action Magic II treatment can be used inside bores, on semi-auto pistol slides, frames, triggers and sears, rifle bolts and raceways; anywhere you want a highly lubricated, non-wearing surface that stays clean, maintenance- and corrosion-free for thousands of rounds.

#10 ·
WD-40 will do a lot of what the article says. It will clean and is very good with a brass brush to get leading out. It will not prevent rust in a salty area [ break free will ]. You must not get it in the action where it can build up and form rubbery balls and eventually gum up the works; but, that can take years or not. Bottom line is if you wipe it off after use and get no build up in moving parts, it has utility.

#11 ·
I will admit one thing re WD40 - for external use in particular, getting rid of cosmo on mil surps, it works well!!

nn's comment re keeping it out of internals is what I would endorse most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.