1911 reputation? - Page 3

1911 reputation?

This is a discussion on 1911 reputation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DasBoot, good choice in the SIG! If you haven't, do shoot the DAK trigger, for it is nice. I prefer it over the double-then-single action ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 reputation?

DasBoot, good choice in the SIG! If you haven't, do shoot the DAK trigger, for it is nice. I prefer it over the double-then-single action transition.

My next purchase will likely be a SIG 229R with DAK trigger.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

JD
    Administrator
    How about a Sig 1911

How about a Sig 1911
    You're killin' me!

JD
    Administrator

then this will be torture

OK!
    So what's the skinny on SIG 1911s?
    I haven't heard them mentioned.
    Do they retain the same super up-front reliability as their other models?
    Or do they fall into the "let's get to know each other better" realm of 1911s in general?

JD
    Administrator
    Step 1: Read here: http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Step 2: Make your own decision, I honestly have no experience with them.

Tx!

they look very nice.... (those sig's)

1911's are nice. they arent for everyone. RIA makes a great, reliable, and affordable 1911 that you'll have Zero remorse in adding to your collection, and will let you know if 1911's are "for you". colts are nice, as are springfields. kimber and some others are overhyped, imho. i and alot of instances i know of, prove that the cost has nothing to do with the gun in this case.
    Last edited by briansmech; July 28th, 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: (those sig's)

pass on the sig 1911 unless you truly want a problem and gun that wont fit your 1911 holsters

Hmmm...the SIG 1911 won't fit the holsters? What about that?

What about SIG 1911 problems? Guess I figured that the SIG rendition was of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    pass on the sig 1911 unless you truly want a problem and gun that wont fit your 1911 holsters
    Amen to that! I have a friend that has one (actually, he traded it now) that was a POS from the time he got it. Sent it back to Sig for them to work the bug's out and it came back with several scratches on the finish (stainless). He blew it off as a lesson learned but the gun was still not right and would jam so bad he had to take it to a smith at least once that I know of to get the jam worked out cause the slide was frozen up. He then had a ND with it (his fault) and traded it for a major loss because of the scratches and he was up front with the problems it has with the dealer.

Could be a lemon but I am not taking any chances, they should have stuck with what they know.

That for me is abouyt the only down fall to the 1911. Every company wants to duplicate it but few do a very good job of it.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Well Sports fans here's my take on 1911's

I have owned a few of them over the years, carry them daily, and have competed with them since 1988. First you need to decide whether you want a fighting gun or a pretty gun. If you want a fighting gun, then things stay pretty simple regarding upgrades. The one thing that separates the 1911 from all other fighting pistols is the trigger. If there is one thing John Browning invented on the 1911 platform that left little room for improvement in overall design, it was the trigger mechanism. The rest of the gun can be fitted for combat reliability and accuracy, but if the gun has a superb trigger, that changes everything. Personally, my guns have triggers that break between 3.5 to 4 lbs. I don't worry about the "hair trigger" mentality that some folks have about the trigger being on the light side, because if the weapon comes out I fully intend to use it. A three or four pound trigger isn't going to matter. I can demonstrate my proficiency with my carry guns anytime, so I am not too worried about lawyers or DA's.

As far as accessories go, my primary carry gun (Springfield Champion) does use a guide rod, only because it added a little weight up front and since I use Cor-Bon ammo in it the weight helps. I hard chromed the gun for corrosion and wear resistance, and of course, looks. there are Novak combat sights on top, and the gun has never failed me in practice or match.

I have been to the other extreme of the 1911 world by shooting an IPSC open class gun for about 7 years; it was chambered in .38 super, was a full-house race gun that was a hand built STI, and was 99.5% reliable, the only exception being when I used an extended magazine (big stick), I was rolling the dice. When I got sick of IPSC, I sold the gun and turned the proceeds into my second carry gun, another hard chromed, hand built STI chambered for 9x23 winchester.
    This gun too, is flawlessly reliable and accurate enough to hit 4" steel plates at 75 yards. My latest project gun is an STI Spartan, for which I paid $624.79 at a local gun shop. I practiced with it at the range, probably 100 rounds, and then took it to an IDPA match the next weekend, and had no problems.

Now for my point: The 1911's produced today are manufactured with far superior materials than they were even 30 years ago. The problems begin with the human being that puts the parts together; many of the "tricked out" 1911's from other manufacturers are being put together by "assemblers" who are not trained expert gunsmiths. this is usually where a lions' share of the problems arise. yes, the machines make parts with tighter tolerances, hence closer attention must be paid to how the parts go together.My other 1911's have always had the benefit of a Master Pistolsmith's attention. The Spartan, while turning in admirable performances so far, will at least have the trigger set more to my liking around Christmas time. The rest of the gun works just fine. So, for you people wanting to get into a 1911, I say this: When you buy, be mindful of who put it together, because the 1911 platform is like no other. It can give the greatest joy shooting it, or the biggest headaches trying to get one running.

Good luck,

I have owned a number of 1911 platform pistols since the 60s. I am currently down to 5. Colts/Kimbers/Norinco/Charles Daly/Taurus/Springfield/and Argentine models. With the exception of one Ballister Molina and a Springfield, all of mine have been reliable out of the box. 99% of malfunctions can be traced to the magazine or improper lubrication on these pistols. In my experience, most of the people knocking them have never owned one, just quoting the gun store guy, or someone that his brother-in-law knows. I have not found the 1911 to be more problematic than other platforms-------well the Glock might be the exception.
    str1

I have owned, shot and carried various brands of the 1911 type pistol off and on for over 35 years. I have had very good "off brand" shooters, and Remington Rand WWII issue pistols and have never had severe problems with any of them, but they are not for everyone, and they are not the "ideal" pistol.
    Since you are new to these pistols, I'd buy a RIA or similar inexpensive BASIC MODEL, and learn how it operates and how you are with it. I would not buy a used 1911 unless I could take it apart at least partially and see if it was "improved" by someone.

I like the 1911's, I enjoy shooting them, and I know some basics about them, but I would not use one as my primary carry pistol unless I had some time and experience with it.

There is a lot of myth involved with the 1911, and it's great to be a fan, but they are not the best for everyone by any means.

Mark

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links