Help I Have Finish Issues!!!

This is a discussion on Help I Have Finish Issues!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently purchased a Taurus PT940ss, I thought I looked it over pretty well apparently not. When I got it home, I prepared to ...

Thread: Help I Have Finish Issues!!!

I just recently purchased a Taurus PT940ss, I thought I looked it over pretty well apparently not. When I got it home, I prepared to give it it's first "bath", when I noticed a speckled appearance, on the trigger, I thought it was just residue. It wasn't, I took a cloth and rubbed it and the finish just flaked off the trigger, needless to say I was not happy. Mind you this is not a used gun, brand new in the box. I promptly went back to the gunstore I purchased it at, they looked to see if they had another one in stock, of course they didn't, just my luck. Now I have to wait and see if Taurus will send their in house gunsmith a new trigger, or will they have to send it back for Taurus to fix, either way I'm out a gun, that's bought and paid for. I've owned quite a few Taurus weapons over the past "good" years and have never had an issue with any of them, I say good years because I know they had some problems with quality control, their for a while. Does anyone know if they're having these problems again, and should I have them fix the trigger, or have them replace with another gun. The rest of the gun looked great, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

High humidity in Brazil?

Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970 View Post
    I took a cloth and rubbed it and the finish just flaked off the trigger, needless to say I was not happy.
    It is hot and humid in Brazil, and you have to allow extra time for paint to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    It is hot and humid in Brazil, and you have to allow extra time for paint to dry.

OK you got me, but seriously, I want a reliable weapon, if the finish has issues, what else, may be flawed and if Taurus is having problems I don't know about, then I need to be spending my money with another manufacturer. I travel alot for work and feel alot better knowing my sidekick will go "bang" if I ever needed it to.

NRA Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970 View Post
    OK you got me, but seriously, I want a reliable weapon, if the finish has issues, what else, may be flawed and if Taurus is having problems I don't know about, then I need to be spending my money with another manufacturer. I travel alot for work and feel alot better knowing my sidekick will go "bang" if I ever needed it to.
    Your guess is good as ours. Taurus's guess is as good as ours too.
    If its going to bother you, I'd get rid of the gun and buy something else that doesnt leave you wondering.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    "Does anyone know if they're having these problems again,"

obviously they are.

I would just see if they will send you a new part.
    It's a PITA shipping a firearm back for something like that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

but seriously, I want a reliable weapon
    Then if it has to be made by Taurus, unless it is several years old (late 80's early 90's) odds are, you will not have one.

I used to be a big Taurus fan but, their quality control of late seems to have fallen on their face.

My last Taurus purchase, a PT-111 non PRO model way back in 2001 will be my last Taurus purchase most likely. That is unless I buy an older used model. But the newer products they are putting out seem to have multiple problems. I hear from very few people anymore who buy a Taurus and have not issues with them.

They lost me as a customer some time ago and it will take alot to get me back. I have since upgraded my carry guns to Glocks and Sigs.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I wouldn't give a bare trigger a second thought. None of my guns have any of the original finish left on the trigger face except for the stainless triggers. I would concern myself with more important things like does it work? Does it go bang every time? What color belt should I wear with these shoes?

Now this is just me. Obviously others will be different in opinions than I.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Gunshop called today......

Taurus wants them to send the pistol back to them, to fix, I told them I want a new replacement, or no deal. I think Taurus knows something they aren't disclosing, I may be wrong, I hope I am, if not I may have to put my money towards something else and chaulk up, my 145 mill pro, as my last Taurus purchase (which has been flawless by the way)

NRA Member

If the gun operates reliably, consider getting it hard chromed; you can have it done relatively inexpensively and you will have a gun that will never wear out. And the finish looks cool.

Just my 2 cents

P.S. if you look at my avatar, that is one of my carry guns, hard chromed.
    Last edited by edr9x23super; July 30th, 2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

En, unless its "Custom Shop", I don't expect much from anyone, anymore. If Taurus will swap it out, great. If not, take it out and do 500 or so rounds in a hard-n-fast range session, then go home and detail strip it, looking for problems. If no cracks, broken pins or springs, etc., you've got a good one. For $35 you can do a DIY Teflon or epoxy finish that's better than many factory products, or you could do matte/polish hardchrome.

It is your baby, make sure you're happy...

Links