.357 through 340

This is a discussion on .357 through 340 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I was back at the range with my SW 340 snub. I read the horror stories of shooting .357 rounds from a 12 ounce ...

Thread: .357 through 340

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

.357 through 340

Today I was back at the range with my SW 340 snub. I read the horror stories of shooting .357 rounds from a 12 ounce gun.

I had the range guy put a .357 in the mix of .38 SP+P. It seemed like Russian roulette. I began firing just waiting for the round causing the gun to fly out of my hand. bang, BANG, bang, BANG, bang. He put two of them in. All in all, it was no big deal. I could certainly feel the grip drive into my palm. Yes, it would be uncomfortable to shoot .357 all day with the 340 but personal defense is not about comfort.

After putting the rest of the .38 SP+P though I borrowed a XD9 Compact. After shooting the snub the XD9 was a pleasure. I was significantly more accurate and if here was any recoil I could not detect it.

The range I use provides excellent service. After a gun purchase I get free use of the range for a month and can borrow any of their rental guns for free!

This is becoming addictive...

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    This is becoming addictive...
    Haha - nope - you are more than well bitten. From henceforth it only gets worse (or better - depending on viewpoint!).

I don't enjoy snub shooting hot loads even now but still keep up to speed on it at times. Makes a 9 semi seem like a pop gun
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

ckd
    The bite is very ammo dependent. The most comfortable 357 loads I've found are the Speer GD HP Short barrel and the Corbon DPX; resonable recoil and low flash.

No question, shooting just about any semi-auto after shooting the alloy j frames seems mild.

Can't argue with the practicality of the 340 provided you can shoot it well.

When I first shot my 642 I was prepared for the worst after all of the "omgz recoil" stories I have read but it was awesome.
    But going from 38spl +p to 9mm was awesome.

...that's because a 9mm semi is a pop-gun.

JK 9mm guys.

I'm thinking a 340 will be my next gun - appendix carry is my plan. How do you carry yours? Glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

Austin

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    ...that's because a 9mm semi is a pop-gun.

JK 9mm guys.

I'm thinking a 340 will be my next gun - appendix carry is my plan. How do you carry yours? Glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

Austin
    I mostly carry at 4:00 but I have carried at 2:00 also. I am still determining what is the most comfortable and effective for me.

I recommend the 340 (if it within budget) because it is not only easy to conceal but is so light you almost forget you are carrying. In fact, I can clip my IWB on to my shorts and wear it without a belt.

Just what I needed to hear!

Thanks,
    Austin

Links