wheel gun for the wife

This is a discussion on wheel gun for the wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife wants one weapon in the house that she can access if needed and feel comfortable using. I'm thinking 38 or a 357 wheel-gun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel gun for the wife

wheel gun for the wife

My wife wants one weapon in the house that she can access if needed and feel comfortable using. I'm thinking 38 or a 357 wheel-gun. We've looked at a s&w 637 and Taurus 85. s&w seemed to have a much smoother trigger. Any thoughts on any wheel guns that stand out.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    If it's JUST for the house I'd stick with a S&W 60 or 649 or something all steel in .357 . The steel will help absorb the recoil of the .357s, but, of course, she (and you) can practice with .38s.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ruger SP101; send it to gemini custom for an action job and a new front sight (they have a number of them) and you'll have an incredibly good shooting .357. I'd recommend the 3" barrel configuration. With the action job, I'd recommend you have Gemini bob the hammer. Without the action job I'd leave it.

I have this gun and it's a pure dream to shoot .38's through at the range and it's also very good with the .357's depending on which load.

God Bless
    Gideon

Would you consider the great K-Frame S&W? A 4-inch Model 10 or 15 is a joy to shoot and soaks up +P recoil. They can be had in good used condition for not much cash outlay. It's easy to love them.

For a "House Gun" I would look at an L or N Frame Revolver. Personally I would go with the Model 22-4 Revolver. It's .45 ACP, and is really mild in the ol' hogleg.

My other choice would be a 686 with a 4" Barrel, or a 3" 586 L-Comp. Personally I don't care for the .357 Magnum, but it's a great round. To eliminate all the recoil and muzzle blast is why I suggested a .45 ACP for your wife to use.

Remember, the bigger and heavier gun is going to "soak up" more recoil and be more pleasant to shoot. Lots of people are attracted to the smaller guns, but they forget or don't know that the lighter the gun the more "felt" recoil you expirience.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    these guys make some good points although a lot has to do with her hand size. I like the SP101 because of the grip size. I have smallish hands for a man. The L/N series are just a tiny bit large for me but it's for her so that's a factor.

The .357 is a bit loud and flashy but frankly, I'd load it why hyped up .38+p Gold Dots which when fired in the SP101 are very mild in recoil. For a house gun I believe that'll be more than adequate.

I know it's a totally different concept but I'd also consider a good pump shotgun for home defense.

God Bless
    Gideon

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Would you consider the great K-Frame S&W? A 4-inch Model 10 or 15 is a joy to shoot and soaks up +P recoil. They can be had in good used condition for not much cash outlay. It's easy to love them.
    Agreed. A 4 inch, possibly a 6 inch, K frame is the way to go.

.38 Special is more suitable for a house gun. Less recoil, muzzle blast, and penetration.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

My vote goes for a Ruger GP-100. I have one in the drawer for my wife. It is the most solid revolver I've ever seen or fired. Get a 4" stainless, and you shall live happily ever after!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Also like S&W K frame

Here is one of my house guns that my wife shoots well - a S&W model 66. It is an all stainless steel K frame .357 with 2.5 inch barrel and holding 6 rounds. The trigger is very smooth in double action and hitting a target at close range is easy. The gun weighs 32 ounces so the recoil of medium .357 ammo is not a problem, especially with the rubber grips. I keep it in a steel box with combination lock near my computer, but leave it unlocked when we are at home.

I sometimes carry this gun around the house in the belt holster shown.

I give a happy +1 on the GP100.

My better half likes it much more than the j frame. The Ruger is close by her when the XD isn’t.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    For a Novice or untrained shooter , I go with a revolver also.

I would look for a Nice - Used S&W model 10 (.38 spec.)

You should be able to find one for under $400.
    They are almost indestructible ,not too heavy, and loaded with +P .38s , they are a good stopper .
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I have both of these models and a 431PD in .32 H&R Magnum. Having said that I would stick with the SP101 or the Model 60 because IMHO they are more controllable after the first shot. I base this on watching my wife trying to stay proficient with the J-frame.

While we're at home my wife's favorite is my Model 627 .357 with 8 rounds loaded...but clearly this is not a carry gun.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I'm another fan of the Ruger SP-101. Your wife can have a choice of loading it with 357 or 38 ammo depending on her proficiency. It's powerful enough to instill confidence, and small enough if she wishes to leave the house with it. It will last a lifetime, and can be had brand new for about $400.

take her to the gun store and let her find the wheel gun that fits her hand the best. Take her to the range and let her shoot some other and/or friends wheel gun. the best wheel gun for the wife is the wheel gun that she likes and will shoot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Since its not for concealment, I'd get a 4 inch bbl anyway. I have a 64-3 S&W 38 special and it is very smooth. If you go with the 357, get the 38 plus-p ammo. IN the dark the muzzle blast from 357 loads would be so bright she'd be blinded after the first shot.
    Lots of good info here, good luck on making the choice. The choice should ultimately be hers by handling them and seeing what she likes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links