Now I'm considering a pocket revolver

This is a discussion on Now I'm considering a pocket revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W 642 would be my choice for pocket carry, lightweight & reliable. I've got a Ruger SP101 and love it, but it is a bit ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now I'm considering a pocket revolver

S&W 642 would be my choice for pocket carry, lightweight & reliable.
    I've got a Ruger SP101 and love it, but it is a bit on the heavy side for me to pocket carry/ Although I can do it in a pinch.

2. Remove Ads

ENH
    I carried a 442 for years, the lighter weight of the 340PD makes for easy carry. Mine is Mag-Na-Ported wears the old small hard CT laser grips, carried in a Galco pocket holster and loaded with 357 mag . Cor Bon 100gr, powerballs. It is shot every week with a bunch of 38 & and 357 ammo. It easy to shoot with 357's up to 125 gr. recoil is very tolerable, especially with 158 gr 38 specals.

Carried a S&W 442 Airweight .38spl for 10yrs, pocket carry via a "Pocket Softy" holster from Mitch Rosen. Loved it. 5rds, so a bit light on the firepower. But, it fit well, went everywhere. Great as a backup. Perfect, if you invest in a trigger job to smooth everything up.

Warning: shoot it often, to maintain competency; adjust grips until you find what works well for you; shoot again, to regain that competency. They can be a bear to shoot accurately, particularly if using stiff loads. Otherwise, they have their place.
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ENH View Post
    I carried a 442 for years, the lighter weight of the 340PD makes for easy carry. Mine is Mag-Na-Ported wears the old small hard CT laser grips, carried in a Galco pocket holster and loaded with 357 mag . Cor Bon 100gr, powerballs. It is shot every week with a bunch of 38 & and 357 ammo. It easy to shoot with 357's up to 125 gr. recoil is very tolerable, especially with 158 gr 38 specals.
    How different is the recoil now that it is Mag-Na-Ported?

I carry a 642 with the 105 crimson trace grips which are also small, hard plastic. I found them slippery at first but I wrapped them in electrical tape and they are excellent.

WOW, I really feel like the odd man out here, I opted to go the other way and instead of a 642 or a 442, I chose the 638. I had previously carried a hammerless and when I wanted to buy a new CCW revolver, I chose the 638 because it had a hammer. I own several Smith's wheel guns and have always found that their trigger smooths out the more you shoot them, I never found that to the be the case with the 642/442.

I installed the CT LG-405's on mine and I can't recommend them enough, spend the extra money as I am sure that you won't regret it.

Mine is carried daily (while working) in a renegade ankle holster to back up my issued Glock 19. When I am off it is in a Mika Pocket Holster with a speed loader and speed strip.

On a side note, I bought one of the metal skeleton type speedloader holders from Safariland, it works great holding a 5 shot speed loader under a t-shirt.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

You're not alone, estimber. +1 on the 638, I love mine!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

ckd
    Any alloy sized j-frame, with the 642, 442, and 638 as first picks for value. Mika and DeSantis Nemisis pocket holsters, for the same reasons.

Someone else said here on DC, once you get above a pound, pocket carry isn't fun all day. Sure the stainless models have less recoil because of their weight, but it isn't worth the trade-off if you can only have one; if you can afford, make a stainless your second purchase.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links