Now I'm considering a pocket revolver

This is a discussion on Now I'm considering a pocket revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know what I'll end up getting--or when, exactly--but because I watched Massad Ayoob (my hero) demonstrating the effectiveness of pocket carry on my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now I'm considering a pocket revolver

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Thumbs up Now I'm considering a pocket revolver

I don't know what I'll end up getting--or when, exactly--but because I watched Massad Ayoob (my hero) demonstrating the effectiveness of pocket carry on my "Personal Defense TV" DVDs, I really think this is a wise way to go. Pocket carry seems like a very viable self-defense option.

Now I have to start considering which J-frame-type revolver I'll end up getting. Recommendations and photos are invited. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

A Smith & Wesson Bodyguard looks like a dandy choice for pocket carry. I've got a Model 642 that is snag free and possesses a decent DA trigger but I think I'd like to have single action capability.

One can use S&W Models 36 or 37 revolvers for pocket use. It's best to cover the hammer spur with the thumb as you grasp the revolver to withdraw it from the pocket.

If you wanted to be a bit different in this day and age see if you can sneak up on a Colt Detective Special at a good price. It or it's alloy framed brothers, the Cobra or Agent make great 6-shot snubs that conceal as easily as a J-frame Smith & Wesson.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    If you wanted to be a bit different in this day and age see if you can sneak up on a Colt Detective Special at a good price. It or it's alloy framed brothers, the Cobra or Agent make great 6-shot snubs that conceal as easily as a J-frame Smith & Wesson.
    If you choose this route, W. W. Waller and Son (http://wallerandson.com/) makes a hammer shroud for the Detective Special (and some J-frames too).

I never could see the wisdom of putting a J-Frame IWB or OWB. To me the "proper" place for a J-Frame is either in the pocket or on the ankle.

I carry a 442 to back up my 4" N-Frame Revolver when I am off-duty. I wish I could carry it on-duty, but my agency doesn't allow a BUG, or personal weapons.

Biker

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Sounds like your agency is more concerned with legal and financial liability than officer safety. Is that fair to say? What possible NON-liability reason could they offer for wanting to deprive you of a backup gun that could very well save your LIFE?

I don't like thinking of officers' lives being valued less than department liability.

I carry a 442 and I think it's the best for weight/cost. I had the money to buy up into the scandium but as bug the few ounces don't matter, and I wanted .38. I got mine for $325 new which is a decent price. The lack of sexy sights on the Airweight is not a for me since it's a close-in gun. The ramp sight is just fine out to 25 yards. With it are a;

Kramer pocket holster
    Desantis Apache
    Alessi APX (on order)
    Speer Gold Dot 135 gr.

It is my first revo and I can see why the 442/642 is the best selling handgun in the world.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Everyone's entitled to MY opinion :-)

I own a Smith & Wesson 642 with the Crimson Trace laser grips.

What I would do different would be to sacrifice the minor additional weight for the recoil absorbing property of an all steel snubby, have the shrouded hammer versus the enclosed hammer (or the exposed hammer), to permit snag-free drawing and still allow single action shots and the ability to half-cock the gun to manually revolve the cylinder.

I personally do not like the weight of the weapon in my pocket so I use a SmartCarry holster (www.SmartCarry.com). This holster doesn't allow for the 'quick draw' but I do have my weapon with me always. (In condition Orange, I'd tuck all eight of my fingertips into my waistband in a non-threating manner with my right fingers on the gripstock and the left ready to push open my waistband to facilitate a smooth draw stroke.)

With a snub, I'm not concerned about .357 or +P ammo. Plain old .38 S&W Special semi-wadcutters are plenty of stopping power.

Hope this all helps.

Ron
    I have the S&W 642 with Model 405 Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I pocket carry all day in a Mika pocket holster in all kinds of pants and shorts(cargo, docker, dress) in perfect comfort. I hardly know the gun is in my pocket.

The Model 405 Laser Grips takes up some of the recoil and also makes it more concealable. The holster also prevents any printing of the gun.

Now, none of the light weight J Frames are that much fun to shoot, but IMO can't be beat for an effective self defense gun for pocket carry.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    What I would do different would be to sacrifice the minor additional weight for the recoil absorbing property of an all steel snubby, have the shrouded hammer versus the enclosed hammer (or the exposed hammer), to permit snag-free drawing and still allow single action shots and the ability to half-cock the gun to manually revolve the cylinder.
    I have the opposite opinion. I have the 340; it weighs 12 ounces. I do not care about the recoil since it is a personal defense weapon. The lighter weight, though not much, is a significant percentage less than the other models. Does it make a difference? Only an individual can determine that.

I see no reason to have single action as an option, thus the enclosed hammer is another positive. It is not an issue in a personal defense situation.

The price is high. I paid $720. Certainly not a gun for a tight budget. In the long run, however, the cost of ammunition will make the difference in price negligible.

Thumbs up for the SW 340!

The S&W 642 gets my vote. I like the 638 as well.

Nice trigger, light weight and very easy to carry. Shoots really well for a light weight gun too.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    642/442 works for me....and don't discount a good holster on the belt...it disappears under a t-shirt and gives you a better and faster drawing postion....I pocket carry on the rare occasion nothing else works, but a gun on your hip is still ideally the best place.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I have the opposite opinion. I have the 340; it weighs 12 ounces. I do not care about the recoil since it is a personal defense weapon. The lighter weight, though not much, is a significant percentage less than the other models. Does it make a difference? Only an individual can determine that.
    Thumbs up for the SW 340!
    Agreed! I may still buy a S&W 36 or 60 for practice and keep the 640 for carry.

I carry my 442 in a Mika pocket holster more than my IWB due to summer attire.

The one perk about pocket carry I have come to like is the ability to have your hand in pocket, grip on the snub with no one having a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    642/442 works for me....and don't discount a good holster on the belt...it disappears under a t-shirt and gives you a better and faster drawing postion....I pocket carry on the rare occasion nothing else works, but a gun on your hip is still ideally the best place.

Loveleather, nice holster. Who makes it? Thanks.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Del Fatti LP....I wear it all summer under a t-shirt...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links