Modified my Glock 23.

Modified my Glock 23.

This is a discussion on Modified my Glock 23. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The one thing that I do not LOVE about my Glock is the grip. I really don't like the finger grooves and I really do ...

Modified my Glock 23.

The one thing that I do not LOVE about my Glock is the grip. I really don't like the finger grooves and I really do not understand why Glock added them to the grip. It makes no sense to me but I didn't re-design the gun, they did. I can live with them, I just don't like the company telling me where I should put my fingers.

But, the thing that I could not live with is the way the trigger guard rubbed my middle finger right where it blends into the grip front strap. I HATED that.

So, with a little help of a file and a dremmel, I have solved my problem.

I flattened out the bottom of the trigger guard and smoothed everything up.

Basically I just filed down the polymer where the recessed area was where the trigger guard blends into the front strap. It just wasn't wide enough for my fingers. And honestly, I have kid of slim fingers so I can't imagine that most peoples fingers would fit into that recessed area.

The end result is (and I am still working on it and refining it) the grip feels much better. In fact, it really changed the feel of the entire grip to me. Where the grip always felt something akin to holding a 2X4 is now feels much more like a handgun grip should feel.

It is a subtle difference but it works for me. Here are a set of before and after pics, I hope you guys can tell the difference.

Before:

After:

I know the pictures aren't the greatest but I'm not a professional photographer. I do my best.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Well, I always believed that any good handgun should feel like it fits your hand. That would be because it is a Hand-Gun.

I'm glad that you made your handgun fit your particular hand.

You should be much happier with it now that your mind tells you that it fits and feels right.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I did the exact same thing to my 23! Feels like a different pistol now. I think I took a little more polymer out than you did. The trigger guard banging into my middle finger was really annoying, now it's much better. I also smoothed down the sharp checkering on the finger grooves, and it also feels a lot better.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Even though GLOCK makes my favorite handguns, hands-down, and my GLOCKs are my favorite personal guns, I still do have a bit of an issue with the grips. I can use them just fine, but I sometimes wonder if I would use the guns better if the grips fit my hand just slightly more ergonomically.

The problem, for me, is the way the grip swells outward on the backstrap, toward the lanyard hole. I would prefer the gun to have a straight backstrap, not bulged like it is. I can't even figure out why GLOCK made them this way: nothing is housed in there. And I can't imagine that many people's hands are built to accommodate that kind of shape, either. That's where my hand swells toward the gun--the meaty part of the heel of my palm, below the pinkie finger is what presses against that. The result is that the web of my thumb and index finger don't feel as firmly seated under the area I guess you'd call the beavertail (you know, where an XD has the grip safety).

I'll keep waiting for GLOCK to come out with interchangeable backstrap inserts like S&W and others have done. Those seem to be meeting with market success... Why is GLOCK so intransigent when it comes to keeping up with innovations that come from any other company?

I did a little dremeling to mine. I rounded the trigger guard, removed the finger grips (hate them), undercut the trigger guard, and now the back strap is smoothed out and has no checkering. This has made the backstrap more comfortable for me.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I actually like the finger-grooves (I guess 'cause they fit my hand). However, I'm another one that's not absolutely crazy about the bump on the backstrap...I've learned to live with it though and don't really have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Why is GLOCK so intransigent when it comes to keeping up with innovations that come from any other company?
    Probably because [from what I've heard] Gaston is a stubborn old coot who doesn't like any idea that wasn't his (or that someone can convince him was his idea)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

After my first trip to the range with my G19 last year, I had a bruise on my middle finger from the trigger guard. After a few careful minutes with a dremmel, it was better. When I later bought a used G23, I grinded the bump down before I ever shot it.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I did the same thing with my 19. The rubbing of the trigger guard gave me a blister on my middle finger. I just took a fine file and flattened the corner out so it isn't as bad.

Wow. And here I thought I was just an oddball who had a problem no one else had. I guess I'm not alone out there.

I am also not crazy about the back strap. I have been wishing that Glock would come out with the interchangeable back strap inserts too but I have also heard that Gaston will not add anything he did not dream up. I am sure he is the one who came up with the finger grooves and they will never go away because he likes them.

He makes a very good gun but it could sure be better if he'd just loosen up some. That is why the CCF raceframes were invented. For people like us who love the Glock platform but hate the grip. I really want one of those alloy frames for my 23 when they come out with them. A thinner grip, no finger grooves and a 1911 grip angle with a flat back strap. Man that will be sweet.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm wanting a raceframe for my sub compact.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

the first glock made did not have the finger grooves and they fit fine. don't know why glock went to the finger grooves. does not matter much to me either way.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I modified the trigger guard on my G21, and G30 like you did. They are even more fun/comfortable to shoot.

I used 220 sand paper, and got very good results.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Links