Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec Range Report

This is a discussion on Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I finally had the chance to take my new Mil-Spec 1911 to the range, with 250 rounds of ammo for it. I got to ...

Thread: Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec Range Report

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Today I finally had the chance to take my new Mil-Spec 1911 to the range, with 250 rounds of ammo for it. I got to the range, and waited a good fifteen minutes for the range officer to call a cease fire, and when he did, I set up my targets at the 10 yard line, and when the range went hot, I loaded up the two mags that came with the gun, and inserted one into the mag well. I chambered a round, and took aim at the target. I slowly pulled the trigger... and then BOOM, the first round went down range. I got 1-2" groups at 10 yards, which wasn't too bad. The gun ran flawlessly through 249 rounds, except for one, when the slide locked back prematurely on a last round. The only other problem I have with this gun is the hammer tends to bite the web of my right hand, so maybe a beaver tail grip safety would take care of that? I was thinking about adding one, but now I have a reason to.

Overall I really like my Springfield Mil-Spec. It is extremely accurate and very reliable. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good solid 1911 that won't break the bank. It's just about as boring as shooting my Glock 19, it never jams, and more or less hits where I want it to. I really like the taller sights, and the brass doesn't hit me in the face like the GI 1911 I used to own.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Thanks for the report. I own two Springers and I agree with you that they are very good pistols. Regards, Richard

getting a beavertail on that gun is relatively easy; Just find somebody qualified to do the work. You will probably spend $100 to get it done right. the gunsmith will also replace the hammer with a new one that will fit the beavertail, so you might as well go ahead and have him do the trigger as well. A 1911 with a superb trigger has no equal.......

You can just bob the hammer by grinding down the end of the spur with a file or dremel until it stops biting you. Just cold blue the tip after you've got it where you want it. Much, much cheaper than buying a new grip safety, hammer and sear.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    getting a beavertail on that gun is relatively easy; Just find somebody qualified to do the work. You will probably spend $100 to get it done right. the gunsmith will also replace the hammer with a new one that will fit the beavertail, so you might as well go ahead and have him do the trigger as well. A 1911 with a superb trigger has no equal.......
    SEND IT TO SPRINGFIELD!!!! Have them do the work. It will then be covered by warranty, Their customer service is awesome, they will probably refinish the gun for free (seems they do this quite a bit), and if you want a trigger job they can do it while its in getting the beaver tail fitted.

This is why I will buy springfield and use thier service shop

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...=174946&page=9
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Sponsored Links