Shopping for another smaller 9mm

This is a discussion on Shopping for another smaller 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a real sweet little Kimber ultra 9mm for one of my carry pistol but my wife took a fancy to it , shoots ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By hardluk1

Thread: Shopping for another smaller 9mm

I had a real sweet little Kimber ultra 9mm for one of my carry pistol but my wife took a fancy to it , shoots it well and claimed it as hers along with a new lined custom black hills owb holster too . What can a guy do buy start looking for a replacement .
    I was going to buy another 1911 9mm and was sizing up the ultra / defender size , cco and commanders this time when I stop in to our local general store and found a trade in . A like new s&w 669 with a real nice safariland leather lined belt holster and 2-12 round mags and 26oz weight . This pistol is at least in 98% condition and with out a single scratch . After looking it over I went home and did some research on it . Went back last night and checked for a possible recall issue and it passed . Best part was the 359 dollar price for the package.

WE get use to the modern handgun designs with parts that are drop in , no fitting required . We can get where we think an apex kit m&p is pretty good or the vp9 is better and a the current 1000 dollar 1911 is better yet ?? But we may forget how well some older models firearms feel and work . I have got use to polishing trigger group parts to improve todays handguns and changing springs in some.

This pistol is a DA/SA with decocker . The DA trigger pull is a really smooth 8lb 7oz . Not lite but compared to most of todays da /sa pistol its real nice and so smooth it feels lighter than it is . Then the SA pull , averages 3lb 5oz , short reset on a highly polished wide curved trigger face that makes it feel that much better . I am pleased with this handgun and the owner that took care of it . I find it hard to understand why I over looked these pistols years ago when ever cop carry some variation of a s&w pistol before polymer was the norm .

Took it apart last night , found nothing to clean so put it back together and lubed it up . Went out back fired a few rounds under the moon lite to be sure it worked !! Gona try to shoot a couple hundred thru it today and see if its ready for carry time .

Don't over look those older pistols if your shopping for some "new " .
    Kilowatt3, jttar and muzzleblast like this.

VIP Member
    Looks like you got a deal!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Congrats on your new (old) pistol! They were good shooting guns. I would avoid shooting +P loads in it though. Enjoy!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations on your new to you S&W 669 hardluk1. Always liked that pistol. Now you need one of those high capacity drum and you're all set.

Better hide it from your wife!
    Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Well done. $359 for a nice 669 is a deal. S&W 2nd and 3rd generation semi-autos served LEAs very well for a long time. Too bad they are no longer competitive in the market because of manufacturing cost versus polymer. I like 'em.

Thanks guys . Wifes working on downloading a photo . Not easy for those of us not so electronically inclined ! . I'm glad to see mags available from mec gar and I need to get a son in law a couple 59 mags for Christmas so I'll order a few 12 and 15 rounders for back up mags . Yea I saw the drum mags and a 30 rounder . Think i'll pass on those .

I am a +P more power kind of guy but already have a few hundred rounds of federal hst tactical 147gr ammo for my wife so I try 50 rounds of those in it .

Wifes not getting to shoot this one !

Most of the older design needed to have some hand fitting and those folks are long retired except for the custom work or repair work . To bad but that's progress ain't it .
    Is that a 3913 ?? Nice rig

Sponsored Links