Para Warthog Review - Page 2

Para Warthog Review

This is a discussion on Para Warthog Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just to add a quick twig of fuel to a PO discussion - I have a P12-45 which has NOT been stellar - I bought ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Para Warthog Review

Assistant Administrator
    Just to add a quick twig of fuel to a PO discussion - I have a P12-45 which has NOT been stellar - I bought it used but - expected better. Relaibility was fickle - tho gotta say - trigger, accuracy etc - sweet!!

I have so far put uprated Wolff springs in mags - it has helped quite a bit - and I have an uprated recoil spring too yet to fit and try. I do hope this gain some further improvement - but I got it hoping for a useful carry - thus far it don't 'pass the test''. There are a few other ''mini-tweaks too to add - but Teddy Jacobson had ''quite a bit to say'' when we talked a ways back.!

I have unfortunately had no chance to get hands yet on a Warthog to try.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    To be fair, IMHO, the 1911 design becomes "flawed" when the barrel lengths shrink shorter than 4 inches. That's the reason my Combat Commander runs like a top, but every 1911 with a 3.5 inch bbl I've ever fired has problems.
    I have heard this countless times, myself and quite frankly it's enough to keep me from buying one. But I always file the success stories away to see what the trend is. Maybe Para got the problems designed out of them. From what I have heard, the Kimber (as Deke said) seems to have fewer problems as well. Ditto with the Detonics. I haven't bought a shorty because I like everything about the full size 1911, including concealability. But I wouldn't hesitate to carry one if it proved itself under my own reliability tests.

Anyway, the Warthog does sound interesting. Very good review, especially when you are a satisfied owner.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Actually I've never understood why there are so many short barrel 1911s. I can understand there'd be a healthy market for such a thing in any event, but when I pick up a 1911 I understand why it's such a popular CCW choice:

It's so thin, relatively speaking.

Yeah it's long, but it's so thin and uniform in its profile. I know that length has to be considered and a 5" bbl is not always practical in any given format, but to me the big problem has always been thickness and the cross sectional profile of the gun, where the 1911 design excels from a concealment point of view. It's a very comfortable physical shape. What company was it that did all that analysis of the right grip angle and basically came up with Mr. Browning's original 1911 grip angle?

Thumbs up

That's funny, because I used to have an SA V10 too! It was L-O-U-D and got gummed up with carbon fouling very quickly and it had FTF issues as well. I traded it for an SA "MICRO." That one was REALLY bad. POS.
    LOL..That's too funy Ex.........I was going to buy a SA Micro prior to buying that Colt Lightweight Commander several weeks ago..I opted for the Colt upon everybody's suggestions..(The Colt was customized) To date, I STILL see the SA Micro in the case..730.00 used.....Guess something's telling me it isn't the gun I thought it was (the SA micro) The Ultra Compact I have runs thru everything I put thru it. Yep.....HUGE flash in the dark, so that's why I opt to carry it only in the daytime LOL

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Deke 45, Would agree with your above post except the longer sight radius. For my CCW needs(7yds would be a L O N G shot) my Kimber Ultra CDP II is fine. I have kept records of all the different ammo that I have put through it to date. When I'm at the club range I make it a point of tradeing ammo with another shooter to "test" my little gun. I see here that I have fired 11 different loadings of ammo. Always a full mag,double taps only,without a FTF or fire and FTE. In previous posts I have stated that I keep my weapon very,very clean. Also I have "tinkered " with the mags(still using Kimber brand) and the chamber/ramp. They look like glass. My Kimber has approx. 875 rds. through it ATT. People should remember that during a compitition or range session,after the 200th round has been fired,if you experience a FTF/fire,or a FTE that is not, IMHO, a true test of the reliability of a CCW weapon. My CCW weapon when rideing on my belt is super clean and lubed just enough in just the right spots. My CCW weapon is fired at the range,immediately cleaned/lubed and put back on my belt. That is the only thing that i ever do with the little Kimber. I have a couple of other 5", 1911's that I "play" with. -------

Not an LDA

This is a standard single action 1911. I have had no problem with the springs. The only trouble I have ever had with either of my Paras is the 10 round mags for my P-14. I bought before the end of the ban and those are held together with two small and weak plastic tabs. I destroyed three mags that had this design. Para has now replaced them with the standard capacity mags and these are great. I love my Para guns.

Well, I hate to play the "spoiler" here but I fear I must. I gather that the Warthog is the LDA version of the P-10. I had a P-10 and I HATED it! It felt like a 2x4 in my hand. It shot about a foot low at five yards. Got that corrected with a set of MMC night sights (ULTRA tall rear sight). Then there was the JAMMING. Mostly FTE's and double feeds. Tried Wolff springs all around, especially the mags. No go. I finally made one of the best deals of my life: Traded it + $100 for a Sig Sauer P245.

To be fair, IMHO, the 1911 design becomes "flawed" when the barrel lengths shrink shorter than 4 inches. That's the reason my Combat Commander runs like a top, but every 1911 with a 3.5 inch bbl I've ever fired has problems. I'm not alone, either. Most of the members of my IDPA club agree as so it seems does JEFF COOPER who made mention of it in the last Guns & Ammo column of his "Cooper's Corner." Item #1.

PO's are okay for carry but don't use them for competition especially the LDA as it seems the springs wear out within 200 rds and it's a pain replacing them. Such has been the experience at my idpa club.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Deke 45, Would agree with your above post except the longer sight radius. For my CCW needs(7yds would be a L O N G shot) my Kimber Ultra CDP II is fine.
    I was strictly speaking in terms of IDPA competition where this is a very small gun to compete with, but for CCW they are fine. Been thinking about getting a larger frame for competition, either a commander or full size.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Deke45
    I was strictly speaking in terms of IDPA competition where this is a very small gun to compete with, but for CCW they are fine. Been thinking about getting a larger frame for competition, either a commander or full size.
    Actually after I get back from LFI I plan to start trying my hand at IDPA. I have never competed with a gun and it sounds like fun. For it I may very well use my P-14. I think the 14 round mag and the longer sight radius will be advantagious.

Cool Idpa

Quote Originally Posted by dhomoney
    Actually after I get back from LFI I plan to start trying my hand at IDPA. I have never competed with a gun and it sounds like fun. For it I may very well use my P-14. I think the 14 round mag and the longer sight radius will be advantagious.
    Forget that. The idea behind IDPA is to level the playing field. That is why it is also REVOLVER "neutral." So there is a MAX of 10rds loaded into any mag, even if can hold more. Your first mag can hold 11 because all mags are also supposed to start "topped off" which means one in the chamber. But I would HIGHLY recommend your participation. Heck, if you find yourself in South Florida, you can shoot with my club. http://www.tssa.net
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_audio
    I have a Para Warthog, and I love it also.
    I've been researching for my next gun purchase. I'd just about decided on the Para Warthog and came across a neg in another forum. Poster said problem with jamming with it and any .45 with 3" barrell.

Now on this post I see many praises for the Warthog. You folks shoot with no problems shoot several rounds and had no problems with the Warthog?

Any idea why so many are neg about the 3" barrell for .45's?

Any chance those with problems might be limp wristing it? I heard the KelTec .40 was great for many but jammed often for some and some said that was due to limp wristing.
    For God, Family and Country!

Thumbs down sub compact 1911's

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop
    I've been researching for my next gun purchase. I'd just about decided on the Para Warthog and came across a neg in another forum. Poster said problem with jamming with it and any .45 with 3" barrell.

Now on this post I see many praises for the Warthog. You folks shoot with no problems shoot several rounds and had no problems with the Warthog?

Any idea why so many are neg about the 3" barrell for .45's?

Any chance those with problems might be limp wristing it? I heard the KelTec .40 was great for many but jammed often for some and some said that was due to limp wristing.
    I had a Para P10 and HATED it! Felt like a 2x4 in my hand and jammed
    non-stop. There are folks on this forum that swear by their Kimber Ultra compact CDP's etc. I'm not picking on Kimbers or Paras or Springfield Armory guns. I'm critisizing what might be a FLAW in basic design when it comes to barrel length. But if you'll look at the recent column of COOPER'S CORNER in Guns & Ammo magazine he says FIRST thing that there are many reports of FTF's and FTE's in the sub 4" 1911's and that the design MIGHT be inherently flawed. He ends with the observation that he personally would not own a 1911 with anything shorter than a 4 inch barrel. I agree. I have owned a Springfield Armory micro compact and had nothing but troubles.

A lot of folks say that it's operator failure. Well, maybe. But if I'm fighting for my life and in some weird position like on the floor or having to draw from a similar position, I don't want to have to worry about having a "correct grip" in order for the thing to go BOOM and BOOM until it's empty and not hung up!

My 1911 Government and my 1911 Commander have NEVER given me any problems and I have fired other shooters compacts after they brag and had them jam....and then they say "Hey, wait a minute.....that shouldn't happen" Maybe it IS me, but the gun should be able to overcome minor shooter deficiencies such as grip. As long as the grip safety is depressed, it should fire IMHO. I think it is the gun size and the range of travel of the slide for the extraction and feed cycle and the need for super strong springs that make the guns so finicky. The Commander and Government models do not suffer from this trouble so draw your own conclusions.

I'm about to buy a Para Commander length LDA hi-cap. New model called THE COLONEL. Check it out on their website. IWB conceals a lot of barrel. I'll trade size for reliability evertime.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; June 15th, 2005 at 04:44 PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    That's it. I've heard enough. Cooper's right AGAIN. I'm gonna put my Kimber Ultra CDP II in the "For Sale or Trade" section of CC.Com for $45.00. It's been nothin' but a pain in the a$$. Every time I go out and shoot it all kinda parts start fallin' off and little springs come flying out. I've had it with that POS. I'm gonna go buy one of them AMT Long Slides. No,on second thought, I'm gonna wait to see what "The Gunners Guru" has to say 'bout em first.---------

Unhappy What's your problem?

That's it. I've heard enough. Cooper's right AGAIN. I'm gonna put my Kimber Ultra CDP II in the "For Sale or Trade" section of CC.Com for $45.00. It's been nothin' but a pain in the a$$. Every time I go out and shoot it all kinda parts start fallin' off and little springs come flying out. I've had it with that POS. I'm gonna go buy one of them AMT Long Slides. No,on second thought, I'm gonna wait to see what "The Gunners Guru" has to say 'bout em first.---------
    Tell you what, IF you make it to your LATE 80's and survive everything that old guy has done, I'll give you the same amount of consideration as I do him. BTW, I'm pretty sure that he didn't "just come up with the opinion on the shorty 45's." I'll bet it was made on feedback from guys who make their livin' tryin' to stay alive.

Your sarcasm is not in keeping with this group of nice folks. Having a bad day?

I'm gonna go buy one of them AMT Long Slides. No,on second thought, I'm gonna wait to see what "The Gunners Guru" has to say 'bout em first.---------
    I have not had very good luck with AMT. I have a Hardballer that has been jamming everytime I use it. It has been worked on and seems to work OK now, although only with one (Colt) magazine that I have. A friend bought a Long Slide and has commented that it appears to have been made on a Monday or late Friday, as nothing is finished correctly. And yes, the gun jams with great frequency. I don't have a lot of trust in those guns as a result of my experiences with that brand.

I don't think ARCADIA MACHINE & TOOL (AMT) is even still in business, anymore. The Hardballer never really took off and I think their only really successful model was the .380 "Backup" which was so rudimentary that the slide had no provision for locking back after the last round had fired! I think later models corrected this, but it didn't save the company.

BTW, welcome aboard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links