Para Warthog Review - Page 3

Para Warthog Review

This is a discussion on Para Warthog Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does the Warthog .45 come in Stainless finish?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Does the Warthog .45 come in Stainless finish?
    For God, Family and Country!

Army Cop,

I don't know why there are so many negatives about them. Since I wrote the Warthog review I have put more then a thousand rounds through the Para, no problem. I actually just got back from taking Massad Ayoob's LFI-1 class in Dunbarton, NH. In this class we fired roughly 500 rounds, and we dropped our mags in the sand quite frequently. Even with all this grit, my Warthog never had a FTF or FTE. Then again the crush grip that Ayoob teaches makes sure you aren't limp wristing it.

On your second question, no it don't come in stainless steel.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Quote Originally Posted by dhomoney
    Army Cop,

I don't know why there are so many negatives about them. Since I wrote the Warthog review I have put more then a thousand rounds through the Para, no problem. I actually just got back from taking Massad Ayoob's LFI-1 class in Dunbarton, NH. In this class we fired roughly 500 rounds, and we dropped our mags in the sand quite frequently. Even with all this grit, my Warthog never had a FTF or FTE. Then again the crush grip that Ayoob teaches makes sure you aren't limp wristing it.

On your second question, no it don't come in stainless steel.
    Interesting: I'd like to see that crush grip - also interesting about the stainless steel comment as I called a local dealer yesterday (before reading your note) and he said $699 for black and $799 for stainless.

Thanks for your info. Helps in my research...

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop
    Interesting: I'd like to see that crush grip
    It's nothing special, just grip the way you want, but do it hard, as if you were crushing something. His theory is that under stress you will be squeezing the living sh** out of it anyway, so might as well practice that way. You might think it would disturb your sight picture, but it really doesn't make much of a difference. You won't be "rock steady," but under the threat of death/grave bodily harm, who among us is that steady anyway?

SSKC

Thumbs up Crush Grip

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop
    Interesting: I'd like to see that crush grip Thanks for your info. Helps in my research...
    I started using the CRUSH grip a couple of years ago and now it's all I use & teach! An easy way to describe it is to take a standard two handed grip of the pistol, Make sure your thumbs are aligned and both a pointing along side the frame in the direction of the target, one slightly behind the other. On a right handed person the thumb of the firing hand would be slightly behind the thumb of the nonfiring hand.

NOW: Look at the place where flesh meets flesh of the hands, there may be a small gap at the web of the hand, in a "relaxed" grip. The CRUSH GRIP tightens this so that the line of flesh is compressed and thin. This is contrary to what I learned as a precision marksman for the various army pistol teams I ran. You will not necessarily put all your rounds into a teeeeny small group, but this does serve very well for shooting FAST and on the move, and preventing the limp wrist errors.

As far as Paras I've been talking to my buddy recently and he says there seems to be a problem of CONSISTENCY in quality. Some ....well it's a little bit like getting a car made on Friday or Monday back when humans ran the production lines. Some folks SWEAR BY their PO's and....some folks SWEAR AT them!

I am firmly in the camp that at this point is saying the slide & barrel length is the primary culprit here. So I shall get the COLONEL (Commander length slide) in LDA and think I will have an excellent carry gun with a 14 + 1 capacity. Next is to get three sp mags along with whatever comes with the gun. And some suspenders or "braces" to hold my pants up!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Go over to 1911 forum and Para and you will find many that don't work. Mostly mag problems needed wolff springs. I have the Llama Minimax Sub-compact (warthog clone at 30oz) $275 .Had all the Warthog troubles others listed and like them I corrected with new springs.Now on my hip as I sit here. Only thing I see you are giving up some power. I was shooting old barn wood and my Gov. was putting the 230 ball clean thru. Short barrel not doing it. I pulled 2 out with my fingers rest were flush with wood. Win & Wolf 230 ball. Going to get some 185+P and give try. Ball would probablly not exit BG if shot.They are fun to shoot,just watch out for limp wristing.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Clone? Interesting... Is there a "clone" for Kimber's Ultra Carry II?

Well I decided to try a Para so this week I bough a LNIB P-10 when it works is a nice pistol Trouble is Iam having about 2 or 3 fails to eject per 10 round mag, round stays in chamber. Extractor not working as should. Now have check tension and seems right Weapon will hand cycle perfect, time and time again. But not when fireing. This will be worked out but is funny my Llama cost 1/2 as much as is humming right along. It had failer to feed trouble, when I got it.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

I ponce had a Para P10 (stainless steel verson of the Warthog) Mine ate a lot of ammo BUT it also shot about a foot low, and to the right. I found the Barrel to slide fit to be sloppy. The locking lugs were clearly worn and a bit rounded. I bought the gun as used, but really needed to get rid of it due to the accuracy issue. The Warthog might be a better upgraded product now, but I'm not sure.. I'm NOT bashing the gun, just reporting what I found with the one I had for a very short time. (BTW this P10 I had was built with a stainless steel slide and frame, which would be more durable than Alloy)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links