Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 40 S&W

This is a discussion on Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody have any experience with this gun, or own one? I may pick one up on Tuesday. I know a lot of people come ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anybody have any experience with this gun, or own one? I may pick one up on Tuesday.

I know a lot of people come down hard on Taurus, but I like the look and feel of this model.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." — Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

You say compact 24/7, but I think all the 24/7's are mid-full size, the milleniums are the compacts.

I have put about 200 rounds through a .40 24/7, and was very impressed. I loved the rubber grips on it, the gun just seemed to feel right in my hands. The recoil felt more like a 9mm, than some .40's I have shot. I had no failures, and this gun probally had 1000+ rounds through it. I love the DAO trigger on the one I shot, and the gun had decent accuracy.

It is my brothers gun and he CC's it. I'm amazed how he does it, since he is really skinny, but I can almost never tell when he is wearing it. That all being said he did have the front sight fly off at the range a month ago. Taurus sent him a new one, but still kinda sucked, other than that he has had no problems. Taurus has gotten alot better from what I have heard. I still carry my 3rd gen PT145 pro every once in a while, and have never had an issue with it. If you do buy one, post up a range report, I would like to hear others expiriences with these.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=83994

This is the Taurus I'm talking about.

Barrel Length :3.3"
    Capacity :15 + 1

The standard frame has an overall length of 7.125".
    The compact has an overall length of 6.375".
    The long slide has an overall length of 8.125".

The shop I was in only had the 9mm model with 2 mags, one that held 17+1 rounds and one that held 13+1 rounds.

The 40 S&W model should be in stock on Tuesday.

I'm not sure if this is a new model, the Taurus website does not show a picture.

How did the front sight fly off? Was it lose in the dovetail?

Thanks for the reply.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." — Navy Admiral

SEMPER FI!

I have never seen one those before, It looks almost exactly like my MilPro, but with a bigger 24/7 grip. Maybe it's just really a high cap MilPro. I really don't know how my brother's sight flew off, he was at the range and after he took a shot it was gone.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I was at the gunshop recently, and I looked at the 24/7 compact side by side with the pt-140 (which I own and carry sometimes). They are very similar in size, but the 24/7 is slightly larger, and the grip is longer.
    My pt-140 has been a great gun. With about 600 rounds through it, I have never had a glitch of any kind. But, I will admit that I constantly worried about the Taurus bugaboo coming at the wrong time; so for that reason I now carry a Ruger sp-101 as my ccw.

I have a pt140 mil pro .40 for sale in the 'for sale' forum!!

love it

you should buy it

Ok boss here is what your lookin at. The Taurus website lists the 24/7 barrel length at 4 inches and the Pro length at 3 1/4. Having owned a PT -140, I can tell you that there is no way of getting 15 rounds in there. But, the ever handy 2007 Taurus catalog explains. The Taurus 24/7 in .40 S&W comes in four models. Two each in Blued and Stainless, two being either 10+1 OR 15+1. Both being the same barrel legth of 4" and same overall length. The differant mags are available. This is were it gets tricky....the same gun is available in a Compact model...no...not a Pro. Those barrel lengths are 3.33" and available in the same options as the Duty/ Service 24/7 model. Sorry, for the long post...I'm a born again Taurus lover. My Pt-140 is AMAZING.....and the only thing that can get me away from it is....the Glock 27 I want/need
    God Bless America!!

well i had a reg 24/7 and would love to buy another one. i would say tht it was going to be a great gun. i feel that it will be better than the glock 27. i held the 24/7 compact and boy did tht feel great in my hand. i have been waiting for this for a couple months now.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Derrin 33 has it right. I held one of the 24/7 compacts at the NRA convention. It feels like a great little gun. I have a 9mm 24/7 and a pt111 pro. The 24/7 compact will be my next gun.

Well I drove the 45 miles (round trip) to the shop today to pick the gun up, was told it did not come in. Should be in on Wednesday after 2PM.

I was a little disappointed, like my two year old when she can't watch Barney. The owner is a good guy, and a good guy to deal with, so no problem.

If I get it tomorrow I'll try to post a couple pictures... if I can figure out how.

SEMPER FI!

I went to the shop today and picked up the 24/7 PRO COMPACT today.

Specs.
    Caliber - .40 S&W
    Action - SA/DA
    Mag Capacity - 15+1, and 11+1
    Barrel - 3.25"
    Total Length - 6.30"
    Sights - Heinie Straight Eight Sights
    Weight - 24.3oz

After leaving the shop I went straight home and read the manuel and gave it a quick cleaning and headed to the range. I took a box of 50 WWB 180 grain ammo to run through the gun.

The Photo below is the first 3 shots out of the box at 7 yards.

The photo below is 11 shots rapid fire at 7 yards.

This Photo is 3 shots at 15 yards.

I went through all 50 of the rounds with no failures of any sort. The recoil is very manageable, 1000% better than my CZ 100. Actually the recoil was more along the line of my 9mm P-89.

I like the SA/DA trigger. The first pull of the trigger is SA, if the round fails to fire you get a second chance with a DA pull. If the rounds fails again, rack the slide and you are back in SA with the next round.

The next trip to the range will be on Sunday. I plan to put a few hundred WWB rounds down range, and a couple boxes of defensive rounds down range. If this works out with no failures I'll start the search for a holster.

SEMPER FI!

Went to the range today and put another 290 rounds down range.

200 180gr WWB
    50 180gr Magtech
    40 180gr Hydra-Shock JHP

No failures at all.

SEMPER FI!

Be careful some of the earlier 24/7 pro series have a problem with the slide clipping the mag and causing FTF jams. Looks like your OK though. You can usually see it after 50 or so rounds. Did you have a problem with the take down pin? I have to pry mine out with a shell casing. I'll probably wait for the 800 series to upgrade.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Yes the take down pin is tight, but not to the point that I need to pry it out.

SEMPER FI!

If your 24/7 strips like a Mil Pro, here's how you can get the pin out. After you rotate it, pull the slide all the way back, and the pin will pop a bit. Re-lock the slide back, and you should be able to wiggle the pin out with your fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links