New Gun Suggestions Please

This is a discussion on New Gun Suggestions Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in tha market for a new home defense weapon, it will never be carried. Here are my requirements. Holds alot of rounds, 40 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gun Suggestions Please

New Gun Suggestions Please

I am in tha market for a new home defense weapon, it will never be carried. Here are my requirements. Holds alot of rounds, 40 Cal, 45 or 9mm, Manual Safety, Decocker so first round is DA, Light Rail, Less than 700 bucks.

I really like the look of the Beretta PX4 Storm, or the Ruger P95 if that helps. I just want to get some ideas before I head to the gun store because the place is usually so busy it is hard to get help

Thanks
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

Have you considered the Beretta CX4 Carbine?
    Jack

If you can live with out the decocker the SP-01 from CZ would fit the bill first round is DA unless you leave it cocked then SA with safety on

has a light rail and is heavy so it will soak up recoil

cost is about 500$ comes with night sights holds 18 or 19 in the mag i hear conflicting reports mine holds 19 so one in the pipe for 20

No point in going for a light weight if it will never be carried

Not to highjack the thread, but have you considered a .44 mag wheel gun?
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I'll cast a vote for another Beretta, the Model 92 or 96. Lots of choices, including some variants which include a light/gadget rail. Extra-capacity mags available, at least in 9mm. All but the most recent ones use steel rather than plastic parts.

The recently introduced Model 90-Two looks like their attempt to cut some corners, lower unit cost, and get back into the police agency sales market. So, in order to get these out there, Beretta has seemingly cut back on production of the Model 92, and perhaps stopped making the 96. (?)

In the meantime there have been some good deals on 92s and 96s, as they hadn't been flying out the gunshop doors. (I guess Beretta wanted to move those items before going completely over to 90-Two production and sales, as well as the PX line. Make sense?)

Beretta 92 or PX4 are good choices. Here's my Beretta 92G-SD doing duty as the "house gun":

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Beretta 92 or PX4 are good choices. Here's my Beretta 92G-SD doing duty as the "house gun":
    +1 for the beretta or look around for a used HK USP. Both are great guns with decockers.

I can vouch for the p-95. Mine's reliable accurate and felt recoil is negligable. Mine came with 10 round mags supplied during the clinton ban days. They now come with 15 rounders. I purchased a couple of 17 round mec-gar mags that fit flush and have been perfectly reliable.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Hmmm...I love my pistols. But if it's for home, a short barreled shotgun is ultimately superior in terms of high energy-controlable penetration.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

I would vote 92fs/M9 as well, it's my house gun. You can get Beretta 93 mags for it, they hold 20 rounds 9mm. Then strap on a light and you are ready to roll. You could get everything listed well under $700.

If its for home defense why don't you buy a shotgun?

You could save your self a couple hundred and shotguns are the best home defense weapons out there imo. "A handgun is the gun you use to fight your way back to the gun you should have had in the first place."

edit: I just saw one of these at walmart for ~$270

You could get a mag tube extension and a flashlight mount for cheap and the total price would still be cheaper than a pistol. Just something else to think about for "home defense".

edit2: This site has the mag tube extension for $20 and the flashlight mount for $9.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post

+1 again for the beretta 92.

Hmmm...a shotgun is a little bigger than I was thinking. I already have a shotgun anyhow. Isn't it illegal to shorten the barrell?
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

+2 on the Beretta 92. I have one for home defense - one of the "regular" models without the new rail built in.
    The Beretta's are very accurate, ultra-reliable, have probably the smoothest and easiest to operate safety/decocker lever around, and are made so well - try racking the slide on a 92 - it's like it's on ball bearings it's so slick. And 9mm with good hollow points are totally adequate for defense if you put the rounds where they should go -center mass. The sights on the 92FS are fixed, but shoot 100% point to aim with 115gr through 124gr ammo.
    Even if you get a non-railed version (a used 92 is a great buy), Surefire makes a mount/light combo for the 92FS that once attached looks like it is part of the gun and is rock solid.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-mount-mr11.html

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Hmmm...a shotgun is a little bigger than I was thinking. I already have a shotgun anyhow. Isn't it illegal to shorten the barrell?
    Not if the barrel is 18" or longer. You can buy a shorter barrel from the manufacter.

Mossberg has sevearl Field/Security combos with 28" and 18 1/2" Barrels

I have a Rossi .357 as the house gun along with my Taurus PT-92
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links