S&W M&P Slide Release Fix

This is a discussion on S&W M&P Slide Release Fix within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hmmm... the slide LOCK levers on my new M&P compact look to be the "new" version... yet I can't get the slide to release using ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: S&W M&P Slide Release Fix

Hmmm... the slide LOCK levers on my new M&P compact look to be the "new" version... yet I can't get the slide to release using it from the right side (I'm a southpaw). I can get it to release from the left side - easier on that side because the locking tab that hooks the slide is on that side so you can get direct leverage on it.

2. Remove Ads

Same here, my M&P9c looks to have the newer lever and still does not release for either side unless i push down both left and right at the same time. this is the one thing i hope to find a solution for, makes for a speed reload nearly impossible.

Wow, 6-7 year old thread…soooo, may I open the wound back again? I am a southpaw and am having a hell of a time releasing the slide from the right side of the gun. When I switch hands, it releases pretty easily (shooting as a right handed guy). What is the deal??? Any help here? My gun is newer, S/N: DXH17xx

Lead Moderator
    I use my trigger finger to release the slide (southpaw) since my other semi autos require this same motion . Seems to work well enough on my full size.a compact may have a stronger recoil spring putting more pressure on the lever.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

New Member Array Killinumsoftly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by streakpi View Post
    Wow, 6-7 year old thread…soooo, may I open the wound back again? I am a southpaw and am having a hell of a time releasing the slide from the right side of the gun. When I switch hands, it releases pretty easily (shooting as a right handed guy). What is the deal??? Any help here? My gun is newer, S/N: DXH17xx

On the newer M&P it's not ment to release the slide with your thumb, if you notice when you send a mag home it racks it automatically, also if the slide is locked and you give the slide a little tug it will release. The reason being is these are made for Military & Police and they are taught to never use the slide lock to release the slide because finer motor skills like pushing a small button are out the window when adrenaline is pumping they teach you to grab the slide and rack it after putting in a fresh mag. But if your loading a new mag as long as it has a round in it then the slide will release itself. There's nothing wrong with your slide lock at all it's ment to be that way.

I keep wondering about all that "fine motor skill" stuff in a firefight.
    I mean, I can find the little tab that operates the lever on my holster which I have to move my whole hand to, and I can find the magazine release, and I can find the trigger that's right under my forefinger, and I can align the sights tolerably well enough to shoot straight even with the adrenaline dump..... but somehow my finger which a moment ago was able to find a small button for the magazine release somehow isn't supposed to be able to find the slide release that's directly below the finger naturally rests on the frame?

People who shoot 1911's seem to have no problems finding the slide release on their pistols (although admittedly a 1911's slide release is rather obtrusive.)
    Soldiers who fire M4 series weapons don't seem to have the same need to pull the charging handle and can find the slide release on an M4 pretty handily.

Perhaps people are justifying the need to grasp the slide because the design of a certain pistol has a rather miniscule release?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I keep wondering about all that "fine motor skill" stuff in a firefight.
    I mean, I can find the little tab that operates the lever on my holster which I have to move my whole hand to, and I can find the magazine release, and I can find the trigger that's right under my forefinger, and I can align the sights tolerably well enough to shoot straight even with the adrenaline dump..... but somehow my finger which a moment ago was able to find a small button for the magazine release somehow isn't supposed to be able to find the slide release that's directly below the finger naturally rests on the frame?

People who shoot 1911's seem to have no problems finding the slide release on their pistols (although admittedly a 1911's slide release is rather obtrusive.)
    Soldiers who fire M4 series weapons don't seem to have the same need to pull the charging handle and can find the slide release on an M4 pretty handily.

Perhaps people are justifying the need to grasp the slide because the design of a certain pistol has a rather miniscule release?
    I always grasp the slide to release it because that is how I was taught, and because that is how I train. I never finger the slide lock to release the slide. When training for a one-handed slide release, I use my belt or nearby solid object, again because that is how I was taught.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I've had a 9mm Shield, for about a year, and ran one box of shells thru it. The other day, I discovered the slide lock will not engage. Try as I did, it just won't engage. Is this the same problem as described by the OP? Also how do we contact S&W Customer Service?
    Thanks, a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    I've had a 9mm Shield, for about a year, and ran one box of shells thru it. The other day, I discovered the slide lock will not engage. Try as I did, it just won't engage. Is this the same problem as described by the OP? Also how do we contact S&W Customer Service?
    Thanks, a million.
    Most likely you're not pushing the slide back far enough. This is a very common problem new Shield owners have. I know I sure thought something was wrong with the gun at first.

My opinion on the slide release vs. slide lock issue is that you can easily tell from the design of the "thing" whether the manufacturer wants you to use it to drop the slide or not. If it's got enough ridge to it to easily get your thumb on it, then it's probably a slide release. If it's too small to comfortably and reliably get your thumb on it to drop the slide (like on the M&P line) it's a slide lock. Most 1911s I've fired have slide releases. My wife's SCCY has a slide release. My Shield has a slide lock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links