S&W M&P Slide Release Fix

This is a discussion on S&W M&P Slide Release Fix within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know about the rest of the M&P owners here, but I've always had trouble dropping the slide with the release levers. They are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: S&W M&P Slide Release Fix

S&W M&P Slide Release Fix

I don't know about the rest of the M&P owners here, but I've always had trouble dropping the slide with the release levers. They are just too tucked in.

Anyways, I was in the gun store the other day, and took a look at the new M&P .45 and LO AND BEHOLD! They've redesigned the release levers. They're still very slender, but they have just enough of an edge that I was able to drop the slide every time without a problem. I then noticed that the rest of the M&P's in the case had the new slide releases. I commented to the guy behind the counter, and he informed me that S&W will send you a new slide release and instructions to install it if you call them. I was a little dubious, but I figured I had nothing to lose. I e-mailed S&W support on Saturday about my problem. I got a reply today (Monday) from a real person! They asked for my address, and are now sending me a new slide release at no charge! All the information in the e-mail was my problem with the old style slide release, my name, and my Club 1852 member number. Their reply was simple; they just asked for my shipping address.

I'm impressed!

So, if you've got a Gen 1 M&P and are having trouble dropping the slide without sling-shotting it, shoot S&W an e-mail or give 'em a call. I'll update the thread once I get the parts and post pictures of the install.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I'll update the thread once I get the parts and post pictures of the install.
    Can you post a "before" photo also, please?

Not sure which slide release version I currently have on my two M&P's. My compact seems a bit hard to release, but it's fairly new, so maybe it will loosen up with use.

Thanks.
    Chuck

Do not use it as a slide release, use it as a slide lock. Just insert fresh mag (or no mag), pull slide back and release it! Voila! You are loaded (or empty with no mag) and you never touched the slide lock (this really is a case where size does not matter).
    Holster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSniper View Post
    Do not use it as a slide release, use it as a slide lock. Just insert fresh mag (or no mag), pull slide back and release it! Voila! You are loaded (or empty with no mag) and you never touched the slide lock (this really is a case where size does not matter).
    +1

It is a much better habit to release the slide by pulling back slightly and then releasing. Getting in the habit of using the slide lock can get you into trouble in a shooting situation where the adrenaline is flowing.

In addition, I am not totally familiar with the M&P design, but the tension of the slide lock is determined by the magazine and its spring. In other words the tighter the spring in the mag, the more difficult it will be to release the slide using the slide lock. Correct me if this is not true for the M&P.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

It is a much better habit to release the slide by pulling back slightly and then releasing. Getting in the habit of using the slide lock can get you into trouble in a shooting situation where the adrenaline is flowing.
    I don't want to derail the thread... but how is this true? I never pull back on the slide. And why would you waist the time? My best split between shots on a reload (timed at least) is 1.4 seconds. Am I going to do that in a SD situation, probably not, but I am not going to waist the time to pull my off hand up and grab the slide, thats for sure.

Just IMHO, YMMV.

Sorry... now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Thanks Exodus!

Go Glock:

It is next to impossible to drop the slide even without a mag in the gun. It's more a matter of grip. They just don't stick out enough for my thumb to get traction on it.

About not using the slide release to drop the slide, I disagree. I want to be able to operation the weapon one-handed if need be. I train both ways, but I want options.

I'll post before and after pics for you Geezer!

Thanks guys. This'll get interesting once I get the parts.
    rocky likes this.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Here we go with the slide lock/overhand method argument!

Taurahe and 40Bob like this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    I don't want to derail the thread... but how is this true? I never pull back on the slide. And why would you waist the time? My best split between shots on a reload (timed at least) is 1.4 seconds. Am I going to do that in a SD situation, probably not, but I am not going to waist the time to pull my off hand up and grab the slide, thats for sure.

Just IMHO, YMMV.

Sorry... now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    S&W (and most other manufacturers) calls it a slide lock, not a slide release for a reason. Your hand is already off the grip inserting a fresh magazine. Pulling the slide to the rear and releasing is a MUCH more positive way to insure proper feeding. Try it, you'll like it! And no it does not waste time.
    Holster and Norm66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    Getting in the habit of using the slide lock can get you into trouble in a shooting situation where the adrenaline is flowing.
    If adrenaline will prevent me from dropping the slide with the slide lock/release, then wouldn't it also prevent me from dropping the mag in the first place?

All right guys. The the purpose f this thread is to inform M&P owners about the ability to retro-fit their Gen 1 M&P's a with more effective slide release. NOT to debate the tactical benefits of it's use. If you'd like to discuss this, please create a new thread.
    luvmy40, Taurahe, halem1 and 1 others like this.

Sorry that was my fault

On topic, it is nice to see S&W make the correction and pushes me a little closer to the M&P over the Glock for my next gun.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

It's okay. I just didn't want to get too far derailed (or hostile). At any rate, I'll post pictures as soon as I get the part and let everyone know how it works out.

I got the new slide release today. Not too shabby. Two week turnaround on a free upgrade! I can deal with that.

It took me about thirty minutes to get it installed. Most of that time was getting the front rail block pin out, and the trigger pin back in.

I was planning on writing some instructions on how to replace the slide release for ya'll, but Dan Burwell did a much better job of explaining it than I ever could. You can read his instructions here:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopi...+slide+release

I took a few before and after pictures of the new and old releases. The pictures aren't great, but they should do the job. As a semi-professional photographer, I hesitate to even show these pictures, but I know you guys & gals gotta have pictures! And I'm too tired to dig out the tripod and do it right.

Anyways, the pictures from left to right are:
    New Slide Release
    New Slide Release Installed
    Old Slide Release
    Old Slide Release Installed.

The new release works great too!

S&W has great customer support.
    Attached Images

Wow, thats a tiny thing.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links