Kel-Tec P-11

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P-11 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know some members have the P-11's and seem to like them but I can't find a review of one. I am thinking of selling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P-11

Senior Moderator

Question Kel-Tec P-11

I know some members have the P-11's and seem to like them but I can't find a review of one.

I am thinking of selling some of my guns in my quest to upgrade my arsenal and I need a small 9mm pistol (See thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27513)

I was thinking the Taurus PT-111 or the Kel Tec P-11

As you can tell by my choices that price is an issue. Both companies have lifetime warrenties but Kel Tecs service seems to have a much better reputation.

Does anyone have the extension that allows you to use S&W mags with the Kel-Tec? This seems to be a great selling point to me.

Your thoughts and comments are as always appreciated.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Try here http://ktog.org/
    and here http://ktrange.com/

I admit that I like the pt111 better. That said, the P11 is not a bad gun. Kel-tec does seems to have better customer service. Somehow I think it's because they get more practice fixing their products. Taurus pistols, at least the new ones, don't seem to have the problems. Good luck

Senior Moderator
    Thanks
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If you're open to Taurus products why not a M85 38sp snubnose and get a Mika pocket holster?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I will chime in on this one due to the fact that I own a P11 and a close relative of the PT111, the PT145.

My P11 has been a very dependable gun and is easily concealed, though not very easy to shoot well.

My Taurus has been 100% since round #1. It wears the 2-dot Heine sights and has the SA/DA trigger. It is much easier to shoot, but a little harder to conceal.

Both guns should serve you well. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Taurus.

Good luck, try to shoot both and buy which one fits YOU best.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Senior Moderator
    I have a Taurus 605 and PT-92 both of which I've been very pleased with.

What is the size difference between the P-11 and your PT145?

I will conceal which ever one I get in a HighNoon Tuckable is the PT-111 easy to conceal I haven't handled one in a while.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I carry my pt111 in one of these. http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...are_asset.html
    It's not tuckable, but other than that it's the same holster.

VIP Member
    Darryl, before buying a P-11 be sure to fire one. Leah bought one and discovered, as have many others, that the P-11 has the world's worst trigger. One of the first things that Kel-Tec did when they introduced the PF-9 was to state that the trigger mechanism was based on that of the P3AT and P-32 rather than the P-11. If you can stand the trigger the P-11 seems to be a good firearm, but that is a big IF.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Thanks George,

I've shot a P-32 and SU-16 of the Kel Tec line. The P-32 trigger was acceptable but not as good as me Taurus's or even close to my Ruger. I must admit that my Taurus 605 trigger is as good as any Smith snubbies I've ever shot.

The PF-9 does not have the round count that I am looking for. When I go to the range next week I'll see if I can shoot a P-11

― Robert A. Heinlein,

i love my p11. yes the 8 pound trigger with the small triger shoe gets old around round 300 when i am at the range. but as the gun goes it was the best $200.00 i have spend. get the kel tec belt clip and you can wear it under a shirt all day long. over at kel tec org you can see range reports, f&b, mods, etc.... but all in all i feel it is one of the best guns for the price in the 9mm size.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You might want to consider the Kel-Tec PF9 also a 9mm and a little thinner & lighter than the P11 jmo

I have a P11 & a PT145 also. The Kel Tec is a great carry gunusing the KT belt clip. I have an S&W mag with the extension that I bought before Kel Tec introduced the flush fit 12 round clip. The trigger is subjective, it is a long pull, but it is the same pull for each shot. I know on mine a little teflon grease helped it alot. For self defense it's the easiest to carry 12 round capacity 9mm I know of. The PF9 I'd wait on, it's only a little thinner, is actually the same size or bigger everywhere else & the reliability is not on par with the P11's yet. The PT145 is not really that much bigger, but I have not got my holster dialed in like the P11 with just the belt clip yet. I did order a CTAC for it & think that'll make alot of difference.

I have a P-11 and had the trigger bar break at about 780 rounds, and now for some reason it wont feed reliably. Before that I had had zero problems with it and trusted my life with it. Now I have a S&W 642 which I like a whole lot more. The P-11 is a bit tricky to shoot well, but with practice I beleive it can be done, it's not a range gun that's for sure. I also have a High Noon Bare Asset that I carried my P-11 in and I had a hard time with it digging into my side, but with some tweeking I was able to get it reasonably comfortable. The 12 round flush bottom Kel-Tec magazines are deffinately a plus.

Overall I would say that it is a good little pistol if you're looking for a very small 9mm. And Kel-Tec does have very good customer service, but like has already been said...maybe there's a good reason for that.

www.ktog.org is deffinately a great source for all things kel-tec. You may also want to try out www.ktrange.com.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I picked one up as a stopgap measure while my wife's gun is being fixed. (P11 that is)

It is a nice gun, little tiresome after about 50 rounds or so. (gloves do help though) I can imagine that it is a dream to carry though, especially compared to my CZ75.

Only real issue is that mine shoots pretty low. Still not sure if it is just me or the gun. The trigger pull is interesting but tolerable, it does smooth out though after about 200 rounds or so... Mine has only jammed once.(350 rounds)...and really that was because my thumb was in the way. (Ouch)

Good luck with your decision.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Only real issue is that mine shoots pretty low. Still not sure if it is just me or the gun. The trigger pull is interesting but tolerable, it does smooth out though after about 200 rounds or so... Mine has only jammed once.(350 rounds)...and really that was because my thumb was in the way. (Ouch)

Good luck with your decision.
    I have a P11 which is 100% reliable with all but 147 grain bullets that 5% of the time does not feed. When it does feed the 147 grain bullets shoot low. It loves 115 and 124 grain bullets. To make shooting it easier at the range, buy some S&W 69xx or 59xx mags and you will get a full grip (note: Kel-tec sells the mag fillers for these two mags).

Sometimes during winter I carry my 6946 and my P11 with extra mags that work with both. In summer the P11 is a primary gun for IWB or smart carry usage. I find the shorter grip and barrel easier to conceal.

Here is the size difference between a P11 and 6946.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links