Not another itch - thoughts on the pt145...

This is a discussion on Not another itch - thoughts on the pt145... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I bet all of you experience this. Once you've bought your last gun you tell yourself, "That's it. I've got all the guns I ...

Thread: Not another itch - thoughts on the pt145...

Not another itch - thoughts on the pt145...

Ok, I bet all of you experience this. Once you've bought your last gun you tell yourself, "That's it. I've got all the guns I really need." Then a month later or week later or day later you find yet another need that must be filled by a new firearm.

Now, I don't really "need" a new one, but I like to have is a good enough reason sometimes. Especially when it comes at a good value. That's what I'd like to ask ya'll about today. In my recent wanderings I came across a NIB Taurus pt145 pro for $299. I don't currently own a .45, but after shooting a friend's M&P I thought about it more seriously. I've done my usual round of searches for reviews and range reports which have helped a little in the decision process.

My EDC is a P239 which works for me, but if the pt145 is reliable, safe & reasonably accurate, then who am I to turn down a potentially new EDC that is both lighter, has a higher payload in a more powerful caliber. What's the problem you ask...buy it already! Do I need a little more convincing? Maybe...does my wife need a lot more convincing? Yes, would be an appropriate answer.

What can ya'll give me?
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

2. Remove Ads

Git-U-1.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Well....they are quite the buy for a .45acp pistol. If you compare the new model versus the original model millenium series pistol, you will find that the one you are looking at is beefier in the frame so it will hold up. And there have been no problems (to my understanding). Taurus has the lifetime gaurantee. The one I saw had a rail built in.
    Looking at smiths' M&P series, its gonna cost you at least another couple of hundred bucks to acquire one of them.
    You just cannot go wrong....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It's a good gun. I've read (& if you search "Taurus" on this forum, you will too) that Taurus's can be good or bad. They have a lifetime warranty, but apparently are slow.

I had one & it was a good shooting gun. Accurate & relatively small. Although it's thick (Thicker than my Glock 26 at the time). I got rid of it (Traded it to another forum member) for 2 reasons.

It was thick for a small gun & had a manual safety. Sure, I could have carried the gun with the safety off (The trigger's long enough), but what if it accidentally got flicked on? Since I exclusively carry guns w/o manual safeties since '93 (When I got into LE), I didn't see a good reason to keep it.

Now, my 1911, that's a different story. They're great to shoot & I always wanted one, but I quickly realized that unless I wanted to soley train with it (& undo my "no-safety" habit), it wouldn't make a good EDC.

The gun's thick, but it's actually shorter than a Glock 26, about as tall as a G-19, holds 11 rounds of .45 (How do you beat that?!), & is priced well.

Does the one you're looking at have a rail & is it stainless/polymere? Mine was & I'd recommend that model.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; July 31st, 2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I love mine, I've orderd a CTAC holster for it hoping I can position it to be as comfortable as my P11 for daily carry. The grip is just the right size & point of aim is right for me.

I have a PT 140 and PT 145. Both have been reliable. Used the PT145 last year to qualify for my CHL renewal. I shot great groups at 5& 10 yards. I was really surprised at the accuracy at 35 yards ( my last 10 rounds) at range qualifying.

I'm very happy with mine. Had about 10mo. put about 500rds through it, had FTF 2 or 3 times early on , since then no problem. Nice to shoot, nice size, it's with me a lot of the time. I have never had a reason to not to trust it.

The one that I saw at the LGS had a blued slide with an OD green frame/grip. The guy behind the counter thought it was from a special batch, but I'm guessing it was lower in price compared to the blued/black version (by about $20) because not too many folks cared for that combination. I don't care too much how it looks as long as it feels good in my hand and works.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

That's a funky color combination. Make sure the one you buy is a 3rd Generation MilPro, They have the SA/DA trigger, and can be had with a rail, also the serial number should start with NZL+. The 1st and 2nd gens were the ones with the problems. I have a stainless PT145 Pro, and am very happy with it.

The accuracy is good, and for a small gun it soaks up the .45acp recoil quite nicely. For the capacity/power/price, the 3rd gens are hard to beat. I wanna see pics of this color combo if you buy it.

That's a good deal. I got mine(the beefier one)with Nights sights for 350.00 from a friend. I just payed the shipping. I like it better than the XD-45 compact I just got in May, but they are both shooters and that's what counts. (As long as I can too:)

I have an old school PT111, I like it, haven't had any problems with it, bought it used but practically new in box.

own one. carry it. love it

Links