Keep the rubber, or go with wood

This is a discussion on Keep the rubber, or go with wood within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm ordering a SW M&P 340 for pocket carry, and wondering what you guys though of the Hogue-style grips for getting it in and out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep the rubber, or go with wood

Keep the rubber, or go with wood

I'm ordering a SW M&P 340 for pocket carry, and wondering what you guys though of the Hogue-style grips for getting it in and out of your pockets. I'm considering going with a smooth, checkerless wood grip to ensure it's slippery coming out of the pocket.

I'm looking at these: Click Here. The SW00019 or similar.

Any thoughts?
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

2. Remove Ads

that statement you made is true. PLUS wood gives the gun a little more personality I think...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    I started with rubber grips on many of my semi-autos and revolvers. As time as gone by, I have transitioned to wood (Hogue to Hogue). FWIW, I agree with your line of thinking.

Good luck, and stay safe!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Call me old fashioned but I have always preferred wood grips. I feel that they offer a better grip. Besides they look a whole lot better!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Administrator

Buying Grips From Hogue

You cannot lose buying a set of grips from Hogue. They will refund your $$$ and take them back even if your only reason for wanting to return them is that you don't like them or you feel that they don't fit your hand.

They will cheerfully refund you. Real good company to deal with.

Buy a set and try them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

On pistols, I tend to prefer a good checkered surface, to provide decent "bite" into the hand. All the better to ensure it won't move during hard/active shooting.

On revolvers, however, given that I choose pocket carry, I definitely don't want the darned thing sticking in the pocket on the draw. So, I have toyed with the harder plastic/rubber grips by Hogue, Uncle Mike's and Pachmayer. I loved the grips by Spegel, which provided finger grooves and a bit of palm swell. Probably would have been a bit better with some checkering, on the backstrap and finger groove area, but even smooth the Spegel grip was fantastic. (Lightning Arms, Novak,

The reality is, though, once your hand is properly around the grip, the grip doesn't catch on the pants or holster on the way out. Ensure your hand doesn't "make a fist" as you draw, and your hand makes a much slimmer impact on your pocket during the draw.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Exclamation Rubber Belongs on The Road !

I have a set similar to what you are considering,and they are great for pocket carry and provide a good hand hold for control of rapid double action firing.
    U.S. Army Veteran

I haven't dealt with wood grips on a pocket carry revolver. One question comes to my mind (please feel free to shut me down) but if you are going for the slippery effect in removing it from your pocket, can't that same slipperiness be a down side if your hands are sweaty, covered with grease, oil, or blood, etc.?

I fully understand why a pocket gunís grip, especially a revolverís, should be as close to frictionless as possible to reduce snags and aid in drawing/presentation. Just curious how the absence of deliberate friction has an affect ultimately on shooting conditions being less than ideal, as they are in most SD.

My Kimber has rubber grips and my Sig has wood. I find the rubber gives better confort and is less slippery during my range times. The Sig sure looks good with the wood grips though.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    I haven't dealt with wood grips on a pocket carry revolver. One question comes to my mind (please feel free to shut me down) but if you are going for the slippery effect in removing it from your pocket, can't that same slipperiness be a down side if your hands are sweaty, covered with grease, oil, or blood, etc.?

I fully understand why a pocket gunís grip, especially a revolverís, should be as close to frictionless as possible to reduce snags and aid in drawing/presentation. Just curious how the absence of deliberate friction has an affect ultimately on shooting conditions being less than ideal, as they are in most SD.
    I thought about wood grips for the same reason the op is thinking about wood grips, but then I realized that having the rubber grips may not be so bad (because of the reasons you mentioned).

Also, your hand is covering the grip as it comes out of your pocket/holster/whatever, so the "slipperyness" of the grip is really a non issue.

sub, though not as widely known or popular as the rubber, Hogue makes a hard nylon grip as well. Cost is 1/2 of the nice woods, and it has the Hogue profile and cobblestone texture. I've had them on a few 686s, and they are very nice.

BGR
    I pocket carry my 642 with the rubber grips, never had them stick in my pocket. Get wood if you like but it is not a problem.
    Join the NRA no excuses!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!

I pocket carry my 442 with a set of the Uncle Mike's rubber like stocks with no problem.

My IWB/OWB Revolvers all have wood stocks if they are meant for concealed carry. The reason I use wood is because it doesn't grab the cover material and cause you to print.

I would advise against using Hogues in the pocket because they are longer than the standard stocks. They attatch to the revolver via a stirrup placed over the stock retaining pin. The hardest part of any handgun to hide is the butt. Why would I want a larger butt?

My 22-4 has a set of Eagle Secret Service Stocks on it and I carry it daily, concealed even in the heat. I have to "hook my little finger" under the stock when I have it in my hand, but this position also helps with recoil control.

Hogue makes great stocks, just not what I like for concealed carry. Take a look at Eagle or Craig Spegel's stocks if you want something for concealed carry in wood. Personally I have never found the Uncle Mike's rubber like stocks to be a problem in the pocket.

Biker

I tend to prefer rubber grips. Some folks don't like the rubber grips or "stocks" that come on the current j frames. I find they fit me quite comfortably, but I don't have large hands. My pinky curls quite naturally around the butt of my 642 so have never felt the need for anything with a pinky extention. I mostly pocket carry this gun so smaller is better in that reguard anyway. Never had a problem with sticking but they seem to be made of a reletively hard rubber compared to some rubber grips.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    The M&P is a very tactical looking little peice and I think the rubber suits it well...if it were a polished blue classic, then I would go with wood...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links