Suggestions for small hands

This is a discussion on Suggestions for small hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to buy a pistol to use for home defense and to compete in IDPA and USPSA events at the local club. For ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for small hands

I am looking to buy a pistol to use for home defense and to compete in IDPA and USPSA events at the local club. For home defense it's not so much an issue, but for competing, quick mag reloads are part of the game. I have small hands and I can't reach the mag release with my thumb unless I turn the gun in my hand. Now I have considered a couple of ideas. First, there may be guns better suited for smaller hands, let me hear any suggestions you may know of. Also considering that I could hit the release with my support hand or on firearms with ambidextrous or reversible release buttons, using my index finger to release the mags. I don't know if either of these are against competition rules. Would like to hear from others, especially if you have competitive shooting experience.

Thanks!

Lead Moderator
    Walther and HK make ambi mag release switches. It is easy to use your trigger finger to release a mag. I do , cause I am LH'ed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

sgb
    Having to turn the gun in your hand slightly to hit the mag release is a common thing for at least 95% of us. It's overcome with training and practice.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Walther and HK make ambi mag release switches. It is easy to use your trigger finger to release a mag. I do , cause I am LH'ed.
    As rocky said, check out a HK USP or USPc. The mag release is built into the trigger guard right in front of the grip. Works great for me!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you are somewhat handy, you can reverse the mag release on a Sig.

For small hands the solution is Kahr. I have relatively small hands and the Kahr fits me perfectly. I have both a K9 and a K40 which are the steel frame. They weigh around 24 oz empty and absorb recoil very well. I am contemplating a P9 which weighs about 16 oz for carry and keep the others for home and range work but I have yet to convince myself th buy one. Maybe I will stop by the gun shop later today.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

Sig P239 fits my hand really well.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

When I shoot left handed I find that using my trigger finger to release the magazine is the fastest way for me. If you have an ambi magazine release and shoot right handed why not try putting it on the "wrong" side?

I too have small hands.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    I'd say get a look at and a feel of a Kahr.
    If you'd like to handle a H&K, I'd say look at the P2000 or the P30 rather than the USP. Reason is that the P2K has interchangable backstrap inserts and the P30 has both interchangable backstrap inserts and interchangable grip shells.
    Link:
    http://www.hk-usa.com/products.html

Thumbs up M&P Idea

Armycop...
    Thanks for the M&P Video. Funny thing is, after handling Glocks, XDs, M1911A1s, Sigmas, Berettas and SIGS, the M&P is the only one so far that I CAN reach with my thumb. I'll be renting one soon at the range to give it a try.

Senior Moderator
    I hate recommending a gun without knowing a little bit about the shooter and his preferences.

Do you have a preference when it comes to trigger? Do you like a short, crisp, light trigger? A long, heavy trigger? A long, light trigger? A short heavy trigger?

Do you have a safety preference? Do you want it to be point and shoot like the Glock or do you want an external manual safety?

What about capacity? Low cap? High Cap? Don't care?

Are you looking for something you could also use for carry or is this STRICTLY home defense and IDPA?

Answers to the above questions might narrow down what I would recommend. Granted, ALL of the guns listed above are great choices, but there are so many to choose from..

The gun I would recommend would be a XD45 Tactical. It should serve all your purposes just fine.

I have small hands as well and the XD fits like a glove. I believe the ergonomics of the gun is what leads me to shoot it so well.

Shoot one before you buy anything else, if possible.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I hate recommending a gun without knowing a little bit about the shooter and his preferences.

Do you have a preference when it comes to trigger? Do you like a short, crisp, light trigger? A long, heavy trigger? A long, light trigger? A short heavy trigger?

Do you have a safety preference? Do you want it to be point and shoot like the Glock or do you want an external manual safety?

What about capacity? Low cap? High Cap? Don't care?

Are you looking for something you could also use for carry or is this STRICTLY home defense and IDPA?

Answers to the above questions might narrow down what I would recommend. Granted, ALL of the guns listed above are great choices, but there are so many to choose from..
    This would be my first handgun, besides an old Ruger Mark II. After talking more with others, I realize my turning the gun slightly to release the magazine, is not uncommon, just a perceived and pre-identified potential weakness in competitve shooting. I prefer short crisp triggers. No known safety preferences. I live in Illinois, CCW is a no go here, and I hadn't considered for carry. I was just thinking IDPA and double duty as home defense, which I thought might lean towards a point and shoot. I do have two young children, and one on the way, but guns are locked up for the most part. Any help is much appreciated.

Small hands; short fingers

Good quality 1911's are great matches to most smaller hands as are the Sig 239 and Browning Hi-Power. My "short fingers" have limited my options over the years and I find the above to work extremely well in home defense, CCW and IDPA competition.

Kimber (single stack)
    Sig (single stack)
    Browning (double stack)

Works for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links