Walther PPS review from the 1911forums - Page 2

Walther PPS review from the 1911forums

This is a discussion on Walther PPS review from the 1911forums within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AKsrule Thin and light are not the ONLY requirements for a carry gun. Just two of the more important ones. I don't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post

Thin and light are not the ONLY requirements for a carry gun.
    Just two of the more important ones.

I don't like the stupid safety either but people have been yearning for a thin light reliable pocket pistol for ages. A few companies have succeeded and this is Walther's attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I wanna know what kind of yahoo breaks in a pistol with +P ammo??
    Calm down son, I did not receive a break-in recommendation. I'm not sure of your point. Mine functions fine without sending excessive amounts of "target" ammo downrange.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I wanna know what kind of yahoo breaks in a pistol with +P ammo??
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by tk4878 View Post
    What?
    +1.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    It dont do a thing for me ... on the other hand the case kinda floats my boat lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    I did not receive a break-in recommendation. I'm not sure of your point. Mine functions fine without sending excessive amounts of "target" ammo downrange.
    I didn't mean any offense to you, though I guess you shot +P through your gun too . I just think its kinda counter intuitive to fire hot rounds through a brand new gun from the start. I guess its a matter of preference, but doesn't it make since to break it in with normal pressure rounds?

When you buy a new car do you immediately go out and stomp the gas and burn out at every light? Or skid to every stop you come to?

Its not so much that he fired +P rounds but that he complained that his gun broke after 20 rounds of +P. Well, duh.

Where on the technical specs does it say this gun is rated for +P? (Serious question--I just don't want to have missed something)

There IS a school of thought that says the best way to break-in a new car is to...DRIVE IT Like You STOLE IT! But that's mostly a teenager's view. Parents see it more like... DRIVE IT Like You Want It to LAST THROUGH COLLEGE!

I've never heard a discussion on the proper rounds with which to break-in a new pistol. If it's spec'ed for +P then wouldn't +P be okay?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Yea, but I haven't found any specs that says its rated for +P.

I like the slimness of it - still want to handle one first

Yea, but I haven't found any specs that says its rated for +P.
    ....then perhaps you should research it before calling names. the weapon is rated for +P. the weapon is not rated for +P+. its in the owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection View Post
    ....then perhaps you should research it before calling names. the weapon is rated for +P. the weapon is not rated for +P+. its in the owners manual.
    I did my "research". Unfortunately their website fails to mention its +P spec. Regardless my point still stands and its really only a matter of preference I guess. But to complain that your brand new unbroken-in gun broke while you were shooting hot rounds its a little unfair imho.

What I want to know is, What do you think you are breaking in? The Barrel? Nope if that had to be "Broken In" with several hundred rounds you would find yourself with no accuracy after a couple thousand.

The chamber is designed to contain the pressure. It doesn't care what you put in it as long as it doesn't go over the max.

As long as you clean the weapon first and inspect it to make sure everything is properly de burred and polished you should be able to run whatever you want through it. If it's rated for +p there should be no problem shooting it from the beginning.

I do understand "Breaking In" a gun in the sense of "I want to run a few hundred rounds through it to make sure that it isn't broken and is going to function properly, and to print where the gun shoots.

Your springs are either rated for the ammo or not. Springs will wear over time. Running "HOT" ammo through them will wear them faster but thats normal.

This is my opinion as a machinist, metal worker, engineer. I may be wrong but this is what my experiance has taught me.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

to complain that your brand new unbroken-in gun broke while you were shooting hot rounds its a little unfair imho.
    there is no "complaining". it is an unbiased review of the performance of this weapon intended to serve others who may or may not be consdering this weapon. if a weapon is rated for standardized +P loads, theres no legitimate reason why it shouldnt run them just fine from the start. these weapons are not fine watches with delicate parts, theyre tools of combat and should therefore perform to their own published standards. +P in a weapon rated for +P is in no way abusing the weapon be it the first round or the 40,000th. this failure is not a break in issue, its a flaw that is commonly found in new designs.

cool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links