Sights

This is a discussion on Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ckd A lot depends on what else you've looked at and liked. If you have the factory plastic sights, not the factory ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sights

Quote Originally Posted by ckd View Post
    A lot depends on what else you've looked at and liked. If you have the factory plastic sights, not the factory night sights, there is a world of difference. I don't know how rapidly you're shooting, but pausing a little longer between shots as you tire, might help.

We have three dot tritium sights (green front, yellow rear are popular) on everything we can, and replaced front sights with XS standard dot or big dot on the revolvers. We standardize ours to keep it simple. Tritium night sights for a self defense HG should be strongly considered.

I would go to a good sized gun shop and they should be able to let you look at a few mfgs. and styles to help you decide, even letting you try them in a darken space to get a better feel for how it works with your night vision.

If you change sights, pay someone to do it properly(it shouldn't be much), which should include bore sighting.

Good luck, and if you wouldn't mind letting us know what ends up working best for you.
    It doesn't seem to have anything to do with how quickly I'm shooting. I'm thinking about going to the eye Dr. What happens is after a short while I don't seem to focus as well and the sight blurs with the target. I'm thinking it's a combination of a white sight, white lights at the range and an almost white colored target. if I leave the room for a few minutes and then come back in to shoot again I'm good for a short amount of time.

As far as buying sights, I think I will try some paint first in the hopes to save some money. Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend. I figure if it doesn't work out I can then buy sights and I'm no worse off except for a few bucks for the paint.

I'm thinking of doing the fron sight only. Does anyone think I should do the rear also?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I have TFOs on my P229--have yet to hear any TFOs breaking--anyone else?
    I lost the ring that holds the front piece of fiber in place, I guess it could have gotten cleaner on it, I tired to be careful. They are great sights but I decided not to risk it. I just recently switched to XS 24/7 standard dot sights and I so far I love them, and I don't have to worry about fiber.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I paint the sights on my handguns. I like model paint. Flor Orange for the front sight and White for the rear. Its worked fine for me on several guns. Night sights would be better as I can't see the colors in dim light.....oh for more $$

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    TFO's are by far the best combat sights I've ever tried - especially with yellow rears.
    I agree. I have a pair of TFO's on my Glock 19 (Green/yellow combo). The previous owner put them on & swears by them (He's a CCW instructor). I've tried the "paint thing" on my Kel-Tec P-32, mainly because the gun doesn't have sights that can be replaced.

Between the 2, the TFOs are definitely better. They gather light, so they're easy to see during the day, but especially during low-light time. The "glow" paint needs light to work. If it's sitting in a holster concealed, it's not going to work when you need it. Unless all you're trying to do is make something easier to see in light, not low-light.

I also used paint on my 442, but my point is, on a gun that you can easily replace the sights on; you're probably better off replacing them with something that works for you. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I think in the long run you're better off just finding a good pair of sights & putting them on.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I need to wait for the paint to fully dry and then I'll try some super glue to seal it. The flash really made the color pop. If these don't do what I want I will go out and buy some night sights, but I figure for $3 (for the paint) it was worth a try.
    Attached Images

I agree that the TruGlo TFOs would be a likely solution.

And, no, I've not heard of anyone breaking them. Mine is carried about 50% of the time and the TFOs hold up just fine.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links