Yet another Glock 19/23 question

This is a discussion on Yet another Glock 19/23 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK- There's frequent questions about compatibility or conversion of Glock models. I apologize for adding to the pile, but I need advice. I have a ...

Thread: Yet another Glock 19/23 question

Yet another Glock 19/23 question

OK- There's frequent questions about compatibility or conversion of Glock models. I apologize for adding to the pile, but I need advice.

I have a Glock 19 (that I love) and a few months later got an incredible steal, er. deal on a Glock 23. I had a grip reduction on the 19 and its great! I used the 23 as a project gun and hardchromed the slide.

I know that you CANT drop the .40 cal. barrel in the 9mm gun and use it, for several reasons... But are the frames the same durability so that the whole upper (slide and barrel) of the G 23 could be used on the lower (frame) of the G19? Thus making one completely custom and the other stock.

I'd like to have the option when pleasure shooting to switch 'em up, but I dont want to damage the G19 frame in any way. I was told by an employee at the local range it works fine, but I wanted a second opinion from the great forum before I try it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kylebce; August 1st, 2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: clarification
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

2. Remove Ads

SigP226, SigP232SS, GLock 27, Glock 23, M&P9C, M&P 40C, Tika T3 .308, New England Rifle .17 HMR. DPMS AR-10 .308, Mossberg 500, Bersa .380, Olympic Arms AR15 Pistol, Kimber CDP2 Ultra, Kimber CDP2 compact, S&W 432pd,CX4 storm .40

Quote Originally Posted by FLJohn View Post
    Yeah, I searched there and here before asking the question. What I found was about using 9mm or .357sig barrel conversions with the .40S&W... So I posted the question.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

Anyone?.... Anyone?...
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

I believe the frames are exactly the same on the G19 and G23. The differences are in the slide & the slide's internals. But, your best source would be a Glock Armorer to confirm that.

Thanks- sass20485. Question answered and confirmed.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

the frames are the same. it will work fine, with out any problems. it is the top end that is different. the only thing is the ser# of the frame with not match the barrel/slide. no big deal. have fun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

the frames are the same. it will work fine, with out any problems. it is the top end that is different. the only thing is the ser# of the frame with not match the barrel/slide.
    Not quite correct, at least in my limited knowledge. Yes, the frames are the same and the majority of the internals are also the same. BUT the ejector is NOT the same for 40 s&w as the 9mm. If you look at the internals, the ejector for 9mm is a little thinner and has a bend toward the centerline of the frame. The 40 ejector is thicker and is straight. Some people find that the ejector from one will work okay w/ the other but the difference can cause some rate of FTE.

The nice thing about Glocks is that you can change all the parts yourself. and changing the ejector will cost you less than $5.

Keep in mind, the frames need to both be the same type, IE 2 pin vs 3 pin. (At least I think I read somewhere that there are compatibility issues between swapping the earlier slides and frames, but I don't know from personal experience). Either way, if you plan on swapping top ends, it would probably be easier to have spare ejectors for both 9mm and 40s&w so that you don't have to break down one frame for the ejector to mount in the other frame. $10 bucks all day and you have both spare ejectors. Have fun. No worries.

My wife is sitting next to me and insists I put in the freakout smiley.

John OK is right. If they are both the 3 pin frame then the only thing different is the ejector. You can buy the whole trigger housing housing and switch out the trigger connector and the ejector or just get the proper ejector and swap that out. The latter would probable be the easiest. Either way it should work fine.

AK
    The only other thing that comes to mind is the locking block (since the barrel lugs "lock" into it). Can anyone advise if the G19 and G23 share the same locking block?

Links