Remove Kimber sights?

This is a discussion on Remove Kimber sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry with the factory installed sights. Anyone know how to get these darned things off? Since I don't use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove Kimber sights?

Remove Kimber sights?

I have a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry with the factory installed sights.

Anyone know how to get these darned things off?

Since I don't use my sights anyway, it would make the draw much smoother, less chance of snags, etc...

Thanks!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

2. Remove Ads

I am far from an expert but if it were me I would go to a gunsmith, pay him a few bucks and ask them to remove them. They have the special tools and the know how. Just my opinion.

Easiest way is to take it to a good gunsmith and let them take them off. That'll save you a big hassle. However, if you want to DIY, then you need a good vise, a hammer, and a brass or aluminum punch. From here, you beat them out. Quite simple. Also when beating on the front sight, make sure you sit the punch on the base, and not on the sight blade itself as this can lead to baldness from pulling out your own hair after you beat off the sight blade. There is another way that involves using a sight pusher, but a good one can cost quite a bit. Also, a good pair of calipers will help as one ide of the dovetail is usually slightly wider than the other. Knowing which is which can also make things easier.

Hope this helps!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

I had no idea that there would be so much "hammering" involved. I don't want to take the chance of damaging my pistol just to get the sights off.

Guess i'll give my local pistol smith a call and see how much it costs.

Thanks!

I've had two different gunsmiths (admittedly, not pistol smiths) tell me they would not tackle Kimber rear sights, supposedly they are put in place with a hydraulic press or something. I recall seeing an I-net posting in which a guy wanted to replace his Kimber rear sight, and wound up CUTTING through the sight down to the slide and pulling the parts out. Pretty severe. Let us know what your FLGS says.
    Not that I'm for taking off sights-better to have and not need, etc., for the small profile change you make. I think Kimber makes an Aegis that has a groove milled into the slide top but no sights, maybe that would be just what you want.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I just went through this myself. I also have an Ultra Carry and I put some XS Big Dot sights on it.

You are NOT going to get those sights off yourself! I gave up and took it into a gunsmith. He broke 2 sight removal bits before he gave up and dremmel cut the sights in half and then tapped them out.

They will not budge otherwise......good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockinItUp View Post
    Easiest way is to take it to a good gunsmith and let them take them off. That'll save you a big hassle. However, if you want to DIY, then you need a good vise, a hammer, and a brass or aluminum punch. From here, you beat them out. Quite simple. Also when beating on the front sight, make sure you sit the punch on the base, and not on the sight blade itself as this can lead to baldness from pulling out your own hair after you beat off the sight blade. There is another way that involves using a sight pusher, but a good one can cost quite a bit. Also, a good pair of calipers will help as one ide of the dovetail is usually slightly wider than the other. Knowing which is which can also make things easier.

Hope this helps!
    I promise you will break every punch you try and you will mare up your gun with absolutely NO success.....believe me I tried.

Get your gunsmith to cut the rear sight in half and then they will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by gear_monkey View Post
    ....dremmel cut the sights in half and then tapped them out.
    Ahhhh...Dremel. You can do it yourself, if you're patient. Score it and beat it.

Kimber is known for having very tight factory sights.

You would need a tool like this http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&s=41891#41891
    to effectively remove a rear sight.

A hammer and a brass punch is just asking for slide/finish damage
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Nope

Broke that tool from Brownells on a Kimber rear sight. If you're out of Dynamite, you could try Nitroglycerine, I guess. Or cut it with a Dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    Kimber is known for having very tight factory sights.

You would need a tool like this http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&s=41891#41891
    to effectively remove a rear sight.

A hammer and a brass punch is just asking for slide/finish damage
    That's the exact tool my gunsmith broke 2 bits on trying to get the Kimber sights out. Then the good ol dremel came out!

When I got my Custom2 the rear sights fell off. I guess the loctite they used at the time on the set screw didn't work that well.

Kimber fixed the problem and did the sights a 2nd time when I had the slide replaced.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

sights

36 bucks to my local gunsmith, along with the TFO's I wanted put on. Pressed out and new ones in by the next day. No problemo.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Just found out, it's going to cost me $45 to remove them. I am sure this will be money well spent.

I hope it will make a noticeable difference. Just one less thing to snag on or rub against.

For me it's just personal preferance. I use sights on a rifle, not a pistol. I point shoot, and that's how I practice also. Luckily I have trained my wife to shoot this way too, and she is pretty good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    Just found out, it's going to cost me $45 to remove them. I am sure this will be money well spent.

I hope it will make a noticeable difference. Just one less thing to snag on or rub against.

For me it's just personal preferance. I use sights on a rifle, not a pistol. I point shoot, and that's how I practice also. Luckily I have trained my wife to shoot this way too, and she is pretty good at it.
    ooooh boy....you just opened up a can of tornado with those words!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links