Remove Kimber sights?

This is a discussion on Remove Kimber sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry with the factory installed sights. Anyone know how to get these darned things off? Since I don't use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Remove Kimber sights?

  1. #1
    Member Array TerryD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    354

    Remove Kimber sights?

    I have a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry with the factory installed sights.

    Anyone know how to get these darned things off?

    Since I don't use my sights anyway, it would make the draw much smoother, less chance of snags, etc...

    Thanks!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array robertmc48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    39
    I am far from an expert but if it were me I would go to a gunsmith, pay him a few bucks and ask them to remove them. They have the special tools and the know how. Just my opinion.

  4. #3
    Member Array GlockinItUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    260
    Easiest way is to take it to a good gunsmith and let them take them off. That'll save you a big hassle. However, if you want to DIY, then you need a good vise, a hammer, and a brass or aluminum punch. From here, you beat them out. Quite simple. Also when beating on the front sight, make sure you sit the punch on the base, and not on the sight blade itself as this can lead to baldness from pulling out your own hair after you beat off the sight blade. There is another way that involves using a sight pusher, but a good one can cost quite a bit. Also, a good pair of calipers will help as one ide of the dovetail is usually slightly wider than the other. Knowing which is which can also make things easier.

    Hope this helps!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

  5. #4
    Member Array TerryD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    354
    I had no idea that there would be so much "hammering" involved. I don't want to take the chance of damaging my pistol just to get the sights off.

    Guess i'll give my local pistol smith a call and see how much it costs.

    Thanks!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array sheepdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    691
    I've had two different gunsmiths (admittedly, not pistol smiths) tell me they would not tackle Kimber rear sights, supposedly they are put in place with a hydraulic press or something. I recall seeing an I-net posting in which a guy wanted to replace his Kimber rear sight, and wound up CUTTING through the sight down to the slide and pulling the parts out. Pretty severe. Let us know what your FLGS says.
    Not that I'm for taking off sights-better to have and not need, etc., for the small profile change you make. I think Kimber makes an Aegis that has a groove milled into the slide top but no sights, maybe that would be just what you want.
    What Would Gumby Do?

  7. #6
    Member Array gear_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft.Worth
    Posts
    26
    I just went through this myself. I also have an Ultra Carry and I put some XS Big Dot sights on it.

    You are NOT going to get those sights off yourself! I gave up and took it into a gunsmith. He broke 2 sight removal bits before he gave up and dremmel cut the sights in half and then tapped them out.

    They will not budge otherwise......good luck.

  8. #7
    Member Array gear_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft.Worth
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockinItUp View Post
    Easiest way is to take it to a good gunsmith and let them take them off. That'll save you a big hassle. However, if you want to DIY, then you need a good vise, a hammer, and a brass or aluminum punch. From here, you beat them out. Quite simple. Also when beating on the front sight, make sure you sit the punch on the base, and not on the sight blade itself as this can lead to baldness from pulling out your own hair after you beat off the sight blade. There is another way that involves using a sight pusher, but a good one can cost quite a bit. Also, a good pair of calipers will help as one ide of the dovetail is usually slightly wider than the other. Knowing which is which can also make things easier.

    Hope this helps!
    I promise you will break every punch you try and you will mare up your gun with absolutely NO success.....believe me I tried.

    Get your gunsmith to cut the rear sight in half and then they will come out.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by gear_monkey View Post
    ....dremmel cut the sights in half and then tapped them out.
    Ahhhh...Dremel. You can do it yourself, if you're patient. Score it and beat it.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array rabywk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Louis Metro Area
    Posts
    675
    Kimber is known for having very tight factory sights.

    You would need a tool like this http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&s=41891#41891
    to effectively remove a rear sight.

    A hammer and a brass punch is just asking for slide/finish damage
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

    --- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Superhouse 15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,055

    Nope

    Broke that tool from Brownells on a Kimber rear sight. If you're out of Dynamite, you could try Nitroglycerine, I guess. Or cut it with a Dremel.

  12. #11
    Member Array gear_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft.Worth
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    Kimber is known for having very tight factory sights.

    You would need a tool like this http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&s=41891#41891
    to effectively remove a rear sight.

    A hammer and a brass punch is just asking for slide/finish damage
    That's the exact tool my gunsmith broke 2 bits on trying to get the Kimber sights out. Then the good ol dremel came out!

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array .45acp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    570
    When I got my Custom2 the rear sights fell off. I guess the loctite they used at the time on the set screw didn't work that well.

    Kimber fixed the problem and did the sights a 2nd time when I had the slide replaced.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

  14. #13
    Member Array 1911NM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    306

    sights

    36 bucks to my local gunsmith, along with the TFO's I wanted put on. Pressed out and new ones in by the next day. No problemo.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

  15. #14
    Member Array TerryD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    354
    Just found out, it's going to cost me $45 to remove them. I am sure this will be money well spent.

    I hope it will make a noticeable difference. Just one less thing to snag on or rub against.

    For me it's just personal preferance. I use sights on a rifle, not a pistol. I point shoot, and that's how I practice also. Luckily I have trained my wife to shoot this way too, and she is pretty good at it.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

  16. #15
    Member Array gear_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft.Worth
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    Just found out, it's going to cost me $45 to remove them. I am sure this will be money well spent.

    I hope it will make a noticeable difference. Just one less thing to snag on or rub against.

    For me it's just personal preferance. I use sights on a rifle, not a pistol. I point shoot, and that's how I practice also. Luckily I have trained my wife to shoot this way too, and she is pretty good at it.
    ooooh boy....you just opened up a can of tornado with those words!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Remove rear sights on a CCW
    By tomwalshco in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: January 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM
  2. WTS, Kimber XS Big Dot Tritium Sights
    By rhinokrk in forum Member Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM
  3. What dot sights to buy for my Kimber.
    By helitech in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
  4. Kimber Pro BP Ten II sights?
    By BillR in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Search tags for this page

how to remove kimber front sight
,
how to remove kimber rear sight
,

how to remove kimber sights

,
kimber front sight removal
,

kimber rear sight removal

,

kimber sight removal

,
kimber sight tool
,
kimber ultra carry ii sight replacement
,
remove kimber rear sight
,
remove kimber sights
,
removing kimber rear sight
,

removing kimber sights

Click on a term to search for related topics.