Is this a good deal?

This is a discussion on Is this a good deal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, while driving my son to his local Paintball store, we both went into a shop I have frequented for about 30 yrs. I entered ...

Thread: Is this a good deal?

Thumbs up Is this a good deal?

Yesterday, while driving my son to his local Paintball store, we both went into a shop I have frequented for about 30 yrs. I entered the store and looked down to see a USED Beretta 92F WITH a Lasermax installed for the price of 395.00. Mind you, this store gets tons of Police trade-ins and this is exactly what it was.....Question is........should I scoop in up..or pass on it?? The Beretta is a pretty hefty peice, but in Euc's prior posts about a "throwaway gun" this got me really thinking. Your thoughts ASAP...cuz I'm REALLY thinking hard, due to the price of the gun, and the price of the Laser Max if they were sold seperatly.
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; May 22nd, 2005 at 09:53 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a pretty good deal. If nothing else and its in good shape you use it as a bedroom gun. Be sure and check the slide for cracks and lug under the barrel to make sure the ears are in one piece.
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

That actually might foot the bill Class3. I personally do not care for the Beretta 92 at all but I do think it's an okay gun and it's in very wide circulation. It would work. It's a gun that's probably trustworthy and it's a gun that I personally would not like or become attached to and it's at the right price.

When I'm in the market for something, I usually see something appealing immediately. I look at it, handle it, and think about it for 3 days. Normally I talk myself out of the first thing I come across and every time it has paid off.

Also, being the cheap ******* I am, I'd walk in there with $350-$375 cash and see if they'd bite. People who sell guns typically have this "low tech" mentality and something concrete like cash has more value in their mind than something like a check or credit card. I've never payed the asking price for any handgun I own, except one, and that's because I thought $100 was fair and I really wanted it.

Administrator

Remember That

The LaserMax usually sells for $300.00 plus dollars all by itself.

I'd get it. I'm not fond of the 92, yet it is a great handgun at a great price.

Not to mention being a police gun, it was probably carried often and shot a little. My police trade-in G17 looks new on the inside.

I would get it for that price

They won't go down, I'd be willing to wager.

SOG had this package on special from police trade-ins for around $340 last month if I recall correctly.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I'd snap it up....I've got a 92F and have put over 15K rds thru it without ever a problem....by the way, there are no lugs, like on a 1911....disassembly is a piece of cake. Was just talking with Bumper few minutes ago and got on subject of my Beretta...the design is simply exquisite. The barrel, not having the lugs and swivel, does not drop down like the 1911 to chamber another round....there is just the slightest downward movement when the slide comes back to allow the next rd in the mag to chamber....darn near a straight shot forward....no wonder there are no jams. I agree and also commented to Bumper that the 92F, like most other Berettas are real "beefy"...particularly when compared with the 1911....however, it does take a hi-cap mag....I've got four 14 rd mags for mine....used it as my carry gun til I bought the Kimber......bottom-line....sounds like a good deal....if the barrel is shot out...heck get another one....if the barrel/slide mating is loose when forward, a gunsmith can adjust that as well....mine is still doggone accurate.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

I also just ordered a storm and nice to have the little plinker carbine and handgun that will sue same mags forgot to post about it earlyer was in a hurry

Administrator

Beretta

Beretta makes a truly FINE handgun.
    They have taken a couple of past unfair hits.
    The most fun Beretta that I ever had was a little flawless Beretta 70s .22 LR.
    I bought special factory flat grips for it (sans the klunky thumbrest)
    What a great little .22 pistol that was!!!
    Boo Hoo ~ I really miss it!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I don't know, for all of the features it is still a 9mm with all of the issues that entails. The magazine does have lots of firepower.

However, If I want something Italian with staying power and a wide butt, I'd start sending fan mail to Sophia Loren.

This is CCW, after all. How are you going to lug it around clandestinely, especially if you pack a spare mag or two?

At best, it's a night stand gun or a truck gun, and if that's your focus it is one of the better second choices, if that makes sense.

Practice, practice, buy Golden Sabers, practice. You still have to complete everything successfully that any other firearm requires. Personally, I'd pass on the deal and look for something with a "4" in the nomenclature. There's a guy here who wants to sell a Springfield .45 ACP. Isn't that a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    I don't know, for all of the features it is still a 9mm with all of the issues that entails. The magazine does have lots of firepower.

However, If I want something Italian with staying power and a wide butt, I'd start sending fan mail to Sophia Loren.

This is CCW, after all. How are you going to lug it around clandestinely, especially if you pack a spare mag or two?

At best, it's a night stand gun or a truck gun, and if that's your focus it is one of the better second choices, if that makes sense.

Practice, practice, buy Golden Sabers, practice. You still have to complete everything successfully that any other firearm requires. Personally, I'd pass on the deal and look for something with a "4" in the nomenclature. There's a guy here who wants to sell a Springfield .45 ACP. Isn't that a better choice?
    I understand all you're saying Tourist.
    I have a few 1911 types in the safe to choose from I guess my thoughts on the purchase was
    1. I could buy the Beretta for cheapo $$ and shoot it, carry it in my car, truck, as a last ditch weapon.
    2. Buy the gun, see how it shoots, and either save it for the above, or trade it for more $$ towards something I really wanted.
    My thoughts were to buy it, and use it as "trade bait" at some point in time. The package has been seen by me as around 550.00 to 600.00 in some places..

Links