Customer Dissatisfaction with Charles Daly

This is a discussion on Customer Dissatisfaction with Charles Daly within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I would not rant like this; however that being said I will rant. I bought a Charles Daly Hi Power in May and have ...

Thread: Customer Dissatisfaction with Charles Daly

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

Angry Customer Dissatisfaction with Charles Daly

Normally I would not rant like this; however that being said I will rant. I bought a Charles Daly Hi Power in May and have put 500 rounds through it. The good news is that it is vary accurate, any other HP mag will fit and seems to be well made. The bad part is that it has a trigger pull from HELL! It is very gritty and feels like it is ratcheting when pulled I was guessing that the trigger pull was about 10lb. Now that seems excessive to me and it gets worse as you fire it. So I called Charles Daly customer service and talked with the guy that answers the phone “You can call back on Monday and talk to the engineer” I was told by this gentleman that factory specification calls for all of their HPs to have a 10lb-12lb trigger pull and that ALL Hi Powers are gritty with 10lb triggers. There is nothing wrong with it. I called back later thinking I could talk with the next one up the food chain. That is when I got the comment about the engineer. Now he was polite and professional, I will give him that. My problem is that I think and others that have lots more experience with pistols and Hi Powers then I do felt that the trigger pull was so bad that it makes this pistol almost unusable in its current condition. It irks me that I will have to pay a gunsmith to smooth this thing out when it is a new gun. I guess you get what you pay for. $349.00 for a new Hi Power with the XS big dot sights seemed like a good deal at the time.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

2. Remove Ads

Some gun manufacturers should not be making gun's of any kind! IMO, this is one of them, but like you said the price should have clued you in on that.

I had the displeasure of watching one of their 1911's all but completely fall apart in a training class. After the first couple of problems he was having with it the instructor had him remove the gun from the class and shoot one of his instead.

You get what you pay for is an understatement!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Ten pounds would certainly not be out of line for some of the heavier Hi-Power triggers I've felt, however the gritty feel is something that you can probably address.

I don't know your skill level with mechanical things, but I'm not especially mechanically inclined and I found that - with the help of a more mechanically gifted friend - I had no problem tearing down my BHP and cleaning up the pull a bit by cleaning and lubing with TW-25b, and also by removing the magazine disconnect.

But start simple. It's likely that a lot of the grit is coming from the magazine disconnect rubbing on your magazine. It might be that just greasing and polishing the face of the mag would help a bit. One thing that you might do right away is to polish the part of your magazine that is rubbed by your gun's magazine disconnect. It will be the face of the magazine toward which the bullets point, and you'll see a rubbed area on the mag up on the top 1/3. Polish that out with some Flitz, and then put some grease on it. To really get after this problem, you might also consider polishing the face of the magazine disconnect, which is not very difficult to get out of the gun for cleaning. The part that rubs up against the magazine will be a lot less gritty if it's Dremel'd to a mirror-polish and greased.

To facilitate your accessing the mag disconnect (really no more difficult than drifting out a couple of pins), I would recommend that you consider purchasing Stephen A. Camp's excellent book on the Hi-Powers, and also his laminated disassembly guide. I have both, and they were well worth the money.

Personally, I just removed the magazine disconnects from every Hi-Power I've owned. I find that they negatively affect the trigger and I worry that this might make me shoot something I'm not aiming at. I am aware that removing the disconnect renders the gun capable of being fired without the magazine, and I always lock my guns up when not in use; this doesn't bother me because frankly most of my semiautos are this way. (I'm a lawyer, and I've given the matter a lot of consideration and feel that I can justify my choice. Anyone thinking of removing his/her a magazine disconnect must give adequate reflection as to the considerations of doing so, pro and con.)

I hope that you are able to get your Argentine pistol so that it's running the way that you like. They are fine guns.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

BHP stock triggers...

BHPs are notorious for having bad triggers when new - heavy and gritty. And you have a low priced clone of a BHP, which one would expect to be even worse. I have never bought a BHP, and was deterred by dry firing a couple of new ones in a gunshop.

Most people who use these guns have trigger work done to lighten and clean up the pull, and Erich above explains how this is done. With a good trigger achieved, many people swear by their BHPs.

If you want a 9mm gun with a good trigger, I'd recommend a Sig or 1911. Even a stock Glock 5.5 lb trigger allows some good shooting once you get used to the feel of it.

HP

That sounds about right for a stock trigger. It's just the design and like Erich said, it's probably 75% magazine disconnect safety. If it was me, I could live with removing it. Takes about 5 minutes to do and is the cheapest alternative. The other choices would be a polish job and springs, which would cost about $40 or so, or some aftermarket parts like those from Cylinder and Slide: https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp5...&catstr=HOME:6
    Way over a hundred bucks. I've never had trouble with any Charles Daly stuff, no more than any other brand. I'll buy the first Hi Power they deliver in Stainless. And I'll probably take the mag safety out of it, too.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Thanks for the input folks; I do not feel comfortable doing the work myself “a man has to know his limitations.” So I took it to a gunsmith he said he would work on it for me and smooth the trigger out. He was shocked by the feel of the trigger; all right maybe not shocked but defiantly thought the trigger was ridiculous.
    I do have a G19 w/ night sights that I picked up on Monday, it has the 5lb trigger on it. If I have the over whelming need to use a 9MM. I just do not like having a firearm around that does not work. Also I just had to complain about the good folks at CD. I know that one of the things I look at before I spend my hard earned money on a new firearm is the reviews that I read. So I wanted to pass on my feelings about Charles Daily and KBI (KBI owns CD). I don’t think I will make that mistake again.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    In a Nutshell........

"I guess you get what you pay for. $349.00 for a new Hi Power with the XS big dot sights seemed like a good deal at the time."

You can probably get your trigger Improved for about $100 paid
    to a decent smith , but it will NEVER be a REAL Hi-Power.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Mark: The HiPower you bought from CD is a FEG, made in Hungary. They are very good copies, and are much improved by having the mag safety removed and shooting a few rounds through the gun.
    Charles Daly/KBI/Kassnar Brothers is an importer only...they don't make anything. They bought the old Daly name years ago and paste it on various imported firearms. Their 1911's are made by ARMSCOR, their SAA's by Pieta of Italy, various shotguns made in Turkey, and some rifles made in the Balkans.
    Most of these are high quality products, but KBI's customer appreciation is nil, their customer service is abusive, and it seems they don't really care about any of it.
    They really have as many or as few faulty guns as most other importers (Maybe a few more-I doubt they inspect anything, just ship 'em out) but their customers get no satisfaction from them and there are MANY COMPLAINTS about this company on every gun forum I have visited lately.

They might want to get smart and keep some repeat business.

FWIW, I have owned several KBI firearms, including a Charles Daly 1911, and I'm buying another one right now, but I have not had any trouble with them. (So far...)

Mark

Links