OK help me pick my next gun...

This is a discussion on OK help me pick my next gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a glock 26, glock 23, keltec p11 and p3at, and a walther p22. I was thinking of a j frame smith or a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK help me pick my next gun...

OK help me pick my next gun...

I own a glock 26, glock 23, keltec p11 and p3at, and a walther p22. I was thinking of a j frame smith or a sig 239. Honestly, I have no real need to specific desire. I think a revolver would be nice. And I can toss it in my pocket..I also love the subcompact m and p. And the pm9.., and the p2000sk.. helpppppppppppppppp

2. Remove Ads

Since you already have a few autoloaders why not go for a revolver to spice things up? I just bought a S&W 642 about a month ago, very nice little revo, good little shooter. I got it for pocket carry for those hot days I don't feel like carrying my USPc or Kimber. Then again, the P2000sk is super sweet too! Go with the revo, alot cheaper than the HK, you can get the HK later. Good Luck!!!

I just got a M&P 9mm Compact today.
    Feels great in the hand - can't wait to shoot it.
    Very short grip - but that's why it's a compact - you got to give up a bit of comfort for a small, concealable package. Feels very solid - the slide just says "strong".

Not an easy decision to say the least. Not usually a Kahr fan, but I just bought my wife the PM9 and she loves it! She just took it out to the range today, and started the break in process with 100 rounds, and it ran flawless. We bought it so she could have a nice pocket gun. I just bought a J-frame for a pocket gun, and it's also a great, reliable gun thats easy to throw in a pocket on the way out. My wife also owns a M&P compact in 9mm and once again its another good one. All in all you have to narrow down a bit what type of gun you would like (i.e. pocket, semi-auto, revolver, etc.), and from there, honestly, any of your choices would be great.

Good luck with your decision!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Since you already have a few autoloaders why not go for a revolver to spice things up? I just bought a S&W 642 about a month ago, very nice little revo, good little shooter. I got it for pocket carry for those hot days I don't feel like carrying my USPc or Kimber. Then again, the P2000sk is super sweet too! Go with the revo, alot cheaper than the HK, you can get the HK later. Good Luck!!!
    I think I'm gonna take your advice and mix it up with a revolver. I saw a 642 for sale at my range for $380. I think I'm going to go for it. 38 special or 357?

I'd suggest you add in a revolver, specifically an S&W snubbie...the 642 with CT grips would be a great choice!

Snubbies are great for pocket carry, which is what I did today with my S&W model 36.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

good idea

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    I think I'm gonna take your advice and mix it up with a revolver. I saw a 642 for sale at my range for $380. I think I'm going to go for it. 38 special or 357?
    Cool, sounds like a good deal. I went with 38 special. I don't think the 642 comes in 357, correct me if I am wrong here guys I looked at 357's also but the price goes up pretty dramatically with those, thats why I stuck with 38. It would be fun to shoot 357 though.

I learned also it is alot different shooting revos compared to autos. Left my hand a little sore after about 70 rounds, definitely not a 200-300 round range trip like my HK. Fun little gun though.

When would you switch between carrying the keltecs and the revo? A better way to ask is when to carry the revo (benefits) over smaller autos.....just curious cause I'm still going to buy it

I'm going out of the box here. The P11 is a little less chunky than the 642 --I've got a 642 and love it and my super portable P3AT. The 9mm wins on firepower tho.

In addition to the retro thing I love revolvers because, unlike semis, you can slug tacky dudes with them.

Leaving the box now .. it is larger than the 642 BUT not everyone has one ... the SW696 44 spl snub is a wonderful weapon to shoot and carry during the winter.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

To me no collection is complete without a snubbie and a 1911

+ 1 on the j frame. Great little carry piece. I would try to pick up one without the internal lock. Just my opinion.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

My next purchase will probably be either the kahr pm9, or one more to add in the mix a kel tec pf9.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That's a tough choice. I have both a S&W 442 (For 13 yrs. now) & a Kahr PM9 (Just over 1 yr). I just don't find myself using the 442 these days. The PM9's shorter, thinner, same wt. (Empty), more powerful, & while holding 2-3 more rounds, it's definitely quicker to reload.

I just recently got a Kel-Tec P-32 (Very similar to your P-3AT). I used to not carry around the house, but I find myself sticking that P-32 in my back pocket ALOT (In a leather wallet holster).

I do like my 442 & I like revolvers, but I'd say get the PM9, as I just find myself using/carry mine far more than the 442.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I'd suggest a pre-lock Smith J frame (or a couple of Taurus' for almost the same money, and good quality). Like was said before, no collection should be without a J frame.(But you also need a K frame M66, and M10).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links